If Elena Radionova were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics, would she win a medal?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 8, 2013.

?

Where would Elena Radionova place if she were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2013.
  1. 1st (Gold)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. 2nd (Silver)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3rd (Bronze)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. 4th

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. 5th

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. 6th - 10th

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Outside the top 10

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. Would not make the Russian team

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Back in 2005/06, Mao Asada was able to compete in the Grand Prix, but was not eligible to compete at the Olympics and at the World Championships as she was born 87 days too late. During that season, she beat all of the skaters who would go on to make the podium at the Olympics (Shizuka Arakawa, Sasha Cohen, and Irina Slutskaya), and had she been eligible to compete, she would probably have entered the competition as the favourite.

Elena Radionova is in a similar position to the one Mao was in back in 2005/06. She is eligible to compete in the senior Grand Prix and will be competing at Skate America and in the NHK Trophy. However, she is not eligible to compete at the Olympics (or the World and European Championships) as she was born 6 months 5 days too late. Nevertheless, were she able to compete at the Olympics, where would she place? Would she win a medal or would she even make the Russian team?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I voted to 6th-10th, she is too young, but incredible talented!!

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I don't think she would do that well. I just think if she got all level 4 on non jump elements and did 7 or 8 triples the GOE and PCS wouldn't be enough to even get near a medal!! PCS has changed since Mao days of beating all contenders for 2006 gold. Bottom half of top 10. Zijun Li got 4th in the free skate at 2013 worlds and that was with everything working extremely well with no problems at all so maybe more top 5 but not mathematically close to medaling.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

she isnt even gonna win any GP medals this season, thats for sure, she'll wait her turn after 2014
    just pcs is not comparable

5. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I love Elena's spunk and her energy when she skates. She does a great job of listening to her music and she's also a good performer.

However, she is not at the level needed to compete for an Olympic medal...not with Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, etc. She's just not there yet.

If she makes it past the puberty monster with her jumps still intact, I think she's going to be great in this next quad. But she and the rest of the newer girls will have to wait until after Sochi...

6. caseyedwards

She could win a medal in Skate America. Basically it will be tough for her win a GP medal but it's not for sure she wont. She could be 3rd and 4th or two 4th's but like I said her PCS isn't there to compete. Even Julia Lipnitskaia could not beat Mao when she was doing double or triple the amount of triples Mao was doing! LOL! At this point the only thing Radionova has is jumps and that isn't enough at all. Even if she's complimented on her musicality it's just at 6 and maybe 7.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Why do you think so? Remember Tukt, she won two GP gold in 2011!! For me Elena is better like Tukt was at that time.

8. caseyedwards

It would be tough for Radionova to do that because she is up against Mao twice! Mao only needs like 2 or 3 triples to win a GP event.

9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

oh...yes, you are right! But she can win silver... Tukt beat Caro at SC ;)

10. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

Yeah, and of course that is completly independant from how the other girls skate :rolleyes:

Personally, I really like Radionova, and I think she's a better skater than Lipnitskaya and potentionally a bigger thread to the senior medals than her. The thing is, when Tuktamysheva won her two gold medals, Yuna wasn't around, Mao wasn't at her best, and Carolina wasn't doing the content she does now. So it will be harder to medal this time around. It doesn't matter much though, I just hope she'll make it through puberty and stay a main contender for the next quad :)

11. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

Yeah, and of course that is completly independant from how the other girls skate :rolleyes:

Personally, I really like Radionova, and I think she's a better skater than Lipnitskaya and potentionally a bigger thread to the senior medals than her. The thing is, when Tuktamysheva won her two gold medals, Yuna wasn't around, Mao wasn't at her best, and Carolina wasn't doing the content she does now. So it will be harder to medal this time around. It doesn't matter much though, I just hope she'll make it through puberty and stay a main contender for the next quad :)

12. caseyedwards

Tuktamisheva did beat kostner in 2011. I think that was pre flip but certain it was pre lutz. And she lost to czisny in teb in the fs. She won events without winning a free skate.

1- it kind of was! Lipnitskaia was virtually flawless in coc but Suzuki bombed the sp NHK but asada still amazingly placed second in the free skate.

2- kostner and Yuna aren't in the radionova events but Suzuki and Wagner are. Gold too.

13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She is awful.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  14. lala

lala Well-Known Member

15. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

New article on Elena Radionova who will shortly be competing at the Nebelhorn Trophy

16. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Her long term potential might be good (although I am not even totally sold on that yet) but she has alot to work at this point to be a very top senior lady. It would have to be the splattiest womens event in Olympic history for her to have come near a medal if had been eligible for Sochi. Not to mention I dont think she would have even made the Russian Olympic team if eligible, especialy with only 2 spots. Now if she tears up the grand prix I might have to eat my words, but as of right now, definitely not.

17. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

:blah: And that is an awful thing to say about a 14 year-old child who cannot possibly be expected to have fully developed her presentation yet.

Is it really necessary to be so unpleasant all the time? :rolleyes:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Let's talk about this girl two years from now when she isn't about 5 feet tall and 75 lbs. Right now she's just another tiny tot from Russia who's a jumping bean but things can change as we've seen from some of the other Russian wonder babies.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Really? She is a young skater with a ton of potential. She may develop into something great or she may fall prey to the puberty monster. We don't know yet. To say that she is "awful" at her young age is downright unfair.

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

:blah:

Actually, she is pretty fantastic. She's got the jumps, presentation and spins. She has things to work on but what 14 year old skater doesn't? I'd say she's well ahead of the curve. The only awful thing here is your comment.

21. lala

lala Well-Known Member

i agree...

22. caseyedwards

Sure she could turn into another sotnikova or tuktamisheva but maybe she won't!!

23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

or into a Michelle Kwan

24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Yeah, skaters who medalled in the GP and Europeans in their first season are so disappointing! :rolleyes:

25. itoaxel

itoaxel Member

She is super talented but she would not be ready to medal in such a field, either in ability or reputation wise with the judges. She could well be the skater to beat in the next quad though. She is that good.

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Lets see where Elena is in 18-24 months when she won't look like she's 12 anymore. Either she will have survived puberty and kept her jumps and added speed and power or she's just another wunderkind who didn't survive.

27. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, "no".

I saw her and her skate for the first time today and I was not impressed. In fact I got up to get lunch in the middle of it, that's how unimpressed I was.

But she's in good company, I felt the same way about the following when they first appeared on the junior scene: Tara, Mao, Mirai, Caroline Z., Bebe, Michelle, and the list goes on & on ad infinitum.

The only one that I ever felt differently about is Oksana Baiul. She was mature beyond her years from the first tiime she stepped on the ice. Never before or since have I felt that way about a skater.

As for all the rest, I prefer them to *ferment* first before they enter the elite level of senior skating, wherein they finally become fine wine... jmho. :)

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Whenever I see gushing about Radionova, I immediately want to be a killjoy and point out that Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva were all touted to be future Olympic/World champions. Then came puberty and spoiled the party. :p

Radionova is great, yes. But she has a body of a pre-pubescent girl at the moment. Tiny, wispy and totally flat. Who knows how she's going to adapt to puberty.

29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

While I agree with then general gist of your comment, I'm going to point out that that trio certainly can still compete and win world and Olympic gold medals. Just probably not in six months.

30. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think of Toller Craston going on and on about Cindy Bortz.