Idea for new way of distributing GP events

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Feb 18, 2012.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I wonder if a new system for GP events could be implemented to give countries a bit more freedom of choice of who to send out, similar to how the JGP is done. For example, if we were to look at the top 30 SB scores right now in men, here's the number of skaters from each country-

CAN-3
    USA-6
    RUS- 4
    JPN- 6
    CHN- 2
    BEL-2
    FRA-2
    CZE-2
    KAZ-1
    ESP-1
    ITA-1

Then, because there are 60 spots total for men, you could just double those numbers and make that the number of spots for that country to submit to the ISU for entry on the GP. For instance, China could choose whether it wants to send Han and Song to 2 events each, or spread the wealth and give 1 event each to 4 different skaters. Once it is in receipt of all the names, the ISU and host federations could distribute the skaters like normal to make sure there's no more than 3 skaters per fed at an event. If a country opted not to fill its spots, they would go down to the country with the 31st highest SB. In case of an injury, the federation of the injured skater could choose a replacement. I guess the downside is that corrupt federations could play favorites and keep a better skater out of the GP although I don't know why they would do that. The benefit would be that more skaters could potentially be assigned to a GP without needing to have a SB or high ranking from the previous season. And maybe alternate spots could be filled more easily because a skater is more likely to pull out and notify their federation of an injury if they know the spot could potentially go to a friend and training mate from the same country. Just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion. Thoughts?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Interesting. Do we know of other sports that use this on an elite level for their version of grand prix type of competitions?

In general, I'm a fan of anything that gets us around the current Seasons best/high ranking requirement for the Grand Prix