IceNetwork season renewal notice :-(

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Lara, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Just got an email. Basically, the good news is we get Lake Placid JGP live. The bad news? No GP events aside from Skate America until on demand a week later.

Presumably Universal Sports got the live online rights for the rest of the GP. Which would be ok, if they hadn't instituted a new policy where full events online are ONLY available to their TV channel subscribers. Which of course isn't an option to anyone not on DirecTV or Dish Network. No more PPV option.

Suffice it to say I'm ticked off. It looks like many of us will be waiting to see the GP next fall. :mad:

2. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Universal Sports does not let you just sign up for online access?

My first thought is to organize a mob to burn them down, but perhaps if enough people let them know they would like that option, they will allow it.

What is the reason? Are they trying to get people to demand that their cable provider include US?

I swore not to swear here but this is making it hard.

3. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

US did provide online-only viewing, for a subscriber fee (there was an inexpensive pass for all GP events, then passes for 4CC [though not in 2011] and Worlds) for the last several years. It was the option I used, as it was more cost-effective than IN for the events I was most interested in catching live. This year, with their new exclusive arrangement with Dish and Direct, access is barred to those not on either service.

This is what their website now says:

4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I really don't see how IN has the balls to charge the same price for coverage when they won't be offering the one thing most people get IN for. I really want to cancel my subscription but I know that there will be things for SA and Nationals that I won't get to see if I don't have it. But $40 for SA, JGP LP, and Nationals being the only things with live coverage is just insane. When you basically cut 2/3 of your product, you can't charge the same price!

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wow, that sucks :eek:

what's the IN renewal price? Did it go down substantially? No way I'm renewing at the current price for only one live GP.

6. Theatregirl1122

No, it's still $40.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

ETA:

List of 2012-13 events on IceNetwork: http://web.icenetwork.com/events/schedule.jsp
    LIVE coverage should include 2013 US Nationals, 2012 Skate America, and JGP Lake Placid. The e-mail also mentions "live and on-demand coverage of the inaugural 2012 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic from Salt Lake City and the 2013 World Synchronized Skating Championships."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It went down for USFS members. As far as I can tell it stayed the same for the general public.

The real question is who are "most people" who get Ice Network. Are the majority of their subscribers members of the federation, or fans?

For USFS members, the Grand Prix is not the one thing that most people get Ice Network for, although some do watch it there.

Even if the subscription base has been mostly federation members so far, if Ice Network wants to expand that base they would need to do so among the general public. Offering more (not fewer or later) international events for the same price, or the small additional fees for all of Worlds, etc., would be the way to bring in more subscribers who couldn't care less about events like U.S. regionals.

But then it becomes a question of what kinds of rights can they negotiate with the ISU or other outside rights holders.

9. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

If you are a current subscriber with auto-renewal, it is only $20. This is the same deal they are offering to USFS members.

I'm a USFS member, so I got the e-mail about it from USFS last night. I wondered why IN was being so generous. Now after having gotten the IN e-mail, I know. They probably expect subscriptions will drop after they announce they won't have the GP series outside SA, and they probably will. But I will still subscribe, b/c 1) it's now cheaper ;), and 2) I want to see U.S. Nats live (and I'm not going to Omaha), plus Regionals and Sectionals, and Lake Placid.

But I assume this means that we also won't see 4CC and Worlds, since those are part of the ISU contract. :mad:

ETA: Sorry, I was wrong about the discount. I see Sylvia's post below.

10. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Members of U.S. Figure Skating get a $20 discount.

11. Theatregirl1122

That's not accurate. I am a current subscriber with auto-renewal and my email says I will be charged $40. So I don't know if some of you all are special but I am going by the email in my inbox saying what I will be charged.

And, since I'm not a USFSA member, as I'm sure many subscibers are not, their price doesn't help me.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Yes, it seems you have to be a USFS member AND a 2011-12 Season Pass subscriber in order to receive the special $19.95 auto-renewal discount.

13. Debbie S

Never mind.

14. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Seriously? I thought the days of trying to access a fuzzy online feed from China were over!!!! :mad: :mad: Way to set us back eight years!

JamieElena and (deleted member) like this.
  15. BlueRidge

Anyone who wants to email Universal Sports and tell them you will pay for online only access may email info@universalsports.com

I know they won't care but still...

Tell them if they ban people who are not cable tv subscribers from online access, you will contact your local cable providers and demand that they NOT include Universal Sports! or something equally futile as that...

16. Debbie S

What are the networks in other countries that broadcast GP events? I know NHK, but what about the others?

My Comcast subscription offers certain international stations in separate packages. Hey, desperate times and all.

And both Comcast and FiOS in my area have told me they have no plans to carry US - I've contacted each of them a couple times.

17. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Then it's back to free streams. Not waiting a week to watch the GP. Thanks, but no thanks, IN.

This is such a monumental set back in terms of fan access.

18. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Hmmmm...I wondered if I'd misread the email. I have universal sports, but was going to drop the package since I seldom watch the TV channel except for skating. I guess I'll keep it now. $40 is still way cheaper than a ticket to any of the events being shown, or travel. Or food. Or other expenses. Life isn't free.

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

OH geez. I was wondering why they were offering it for $20; hadn't yet bothered to read the fine print. Wonder if the ISU/USFS/IN are getting cable providers barking at them? Because if I can't see this stuff on cable, I can't see it ANYWHERE (we do not get cable; too pricey for the small amount of TV we watch). Gotta love the line in their email that says "Enjoy all the premier events you've enjoyed in the past" and then tells you that, in fact, you will NOT see the big events! Grrrr. SPEEDY SMACKDOWN!!!!

I'm stymied as to why the on-demand is available ONLY 7 days post-event. That is truly odd. Fortunately, my credit card got stolen since last year and I have a new number so good luck auto-renewing, IN :D

20. BlueRidge

Well apparently in this case, you can ONLY get US online fs for FREE. You can't pay for it. You get it free if you have the right cable tv service and otherwise they won't take your money for it.

21. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Yeah, how crazy is it that so many people WANT to pay for streams, and nobody will let us? We are here, throwing money at the screen, and they just don't care.

So, what, we're meant to bully our cable operators every day to pick up US? What if they don't? Nobody really gives a shit about US, honestly. Are we meant to undergo the process of switching from cable to dish to watch a small handful of live events? Who can do that?

What if you don't even have cable, as is true for so many people right now? Yeah, it's back to hoping for a stream that doesn't lag whenever someone jumps. It's a step back, instead of capitalizing on a group of people who are more than happy to pay for what we want.

Forget about the ISU's decision to make skating more friendly to broadcasters with lyrics and garbage. Who's going to actually be able to watch skating by the time 2014/2015 rolls around?

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

This is total bullshit!! Sorry for the language but for many of us we subscribed to the IceNetwork because it the only way to see the Grand Prix. Most of us don't have DirecTV or the Dish network and our cable companies don't carry US. Way to push the sport forward guys make it available to even less people. :mad:

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Free if you have the extra package you have to pay for through DirectTV. I have it and it's $15/month. I've been planning on dropping it and reinstating it for skating if I needed it, but just hadn't done so. I won't be surprised if they don't show skating at all. Eurosport did this last season when they bought the rights to Europeans and other events, but opted not to show anything or only parts of events. :(

And while I think IN should drop the price for everybody, I don't hold them responsible for not having the broadcast rights. They were sold to someone else.

24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

This is right. I'm not a USFS member either, just a fan. It's $40 for the rest of us.

Wow, not sure if it's worth it this time. That GP LIVE streaming was a big part of why I stuck with them. If they're not at least going to give us 4CCs & Worlds in addition to SA and Nationals I say it's a rip-off to not lower the price. If I want on-demand, there is YouTube, NBC broadcasts, etc.

Major disappointment.

25. Jammers

Oh don't worry IN will offer 4CC and Worlds right after Nationals for another 20 bucks to rip us off like last season.

26. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

If I know someone who has DirecTV and they're willing to give me their information.... hmmmmm..... :2faced:

27. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

My husband has been wanting to switch to DirecTV so we can get NFL Sunday Ticket. I guess this seals the deal.

28. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I wrote them back and told them to cancel my renewal:

Renew for $40? Yeah, right. It's bad enough that you cut coverage of 4CC and Worlds and made them an added extra feature. How can you call it a "season pass" when it only covers half of the season? While I realize that you have no control of the broadcast rights, watching an event seven days after it has taken place in the days of youtube and video file sharing is a JOKE. By the time your Grand Prix videos are up, other network coverage will be available for download and plastered all over youtube. The least you could do is lower your ridiculous price. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are going to lose a lot of subscribers like me over this mediocre coverage. DO NOT renew my subscription. I'll be downloading the videos for free instead of shelling out $40 to you and I'll be watching them hours after they happen instead of a week later.
    Dissatisfied,
    "Triple Butz"

29. BlueRidge

I don't think IN is the right target. They are just doing what they can with the leftovers.

The right target is Universal Sports. All us figure skating fans need to stand in solidarity and demand our online coverage! Rah, rah, rah!

I know IN is going to lose a lot of subscribers from this. I really hope that doesn't kill their US coverage of regionals and sectionals. I really value that.

30. Jammers

I don't blame IN for losing the GP but to make people pay as much money as last season without most of the events is just plain wrong.