Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Apr 15, 2010.

1. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

:cheer:

#I can fly clearly now... the ash has gone....#

:D Safe Travels Nancy and I hope you dont keep hating the UK :p

2. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

The first Air Canada flight out of Paris accommodated all the standbys and still left with 20 empty seats. Apparently folks didn't bother going to the airport as they didn't think it would really go! In fact, those aboard weren't sure until the last minute if they were really going to fly...

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Well, we decided to postpone until September. We were fairly sure the Newark/Frankfurt flight would go, but the Frankfurt/Venice flight was questionable. There were 5 flights scheduled from Frankfurt to Venice today, only one went out. It was not the same flight that we would take on Friday. We checked on the Venice flights and many of them only had 30-40 people on a 180 seat flight. We figured that at least 3 of them would be cancelled and we didn't want to spend a day or more in Frankfurt. And, we also figured that this was a vacation that we could change with little inconvenience, there are lots of people stranded, we opened up 2 seats for them. Once we got over the initial disappointment and frustration, we opted for the smart thing - wait and go after the chaos is straightened out.

4. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Good luck! Safe trip home!

5. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Earlier when things were looking dim my husband sang "Take the train to Spain and get thee on a plane. Got it? I think she's got it!" :lol:

I'm sitting in the Admiral's Club at Heathrow and can now see our plane! :cheer2: And I'm already getting a bit misty-eyed at the thought of leaving dear old Blighty. ;)

6. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

That'll probably be the residual volcanic ash in the air. ;)

Have a safe flight! :cheer2:

7. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

We'll sing the Star-Spangled Banner for you under our breaths to welcome you back.

The husband of a close friend of mine has been stuck in Prague all week trying to get home to Toronto. He emailed me he needs a blonde, a piano player and some Nazis to feel like Rick in Casablanca. At least he has a sense of humor about it.

8. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

:D

Swiss airports have been reopened two days ago and most schedule flights are going out.

9. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

marbri and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Nan

Nan Just me

11. NancyNC

I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2::40beers::cheer:

milanessa, Really, maggylyn and 5 others like this.
  12. Nan

Nan Just me

YIPPEE!!! Welcome back!! :40beers:

13. Finnice

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
    Enjoy, NancyNC!

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

YAAAAY! :cheer2:

It must feel soooo gooood. :lol:

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

That is great news NancyNC. So happy to hear you are home and safe. Bet you are looking forward to a full night's sleep in your own bed! :)

16. mila19

mila19 New Member

Well at least this one has a spellable name compared to Eyjafjalla$%$
    Proper spelling is very important when cursing:D

17. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Welcome back to NC. :40beers: :summer:

18. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Saw the video clip of your arrival posted on Facebook.

After your being across the pond for so long, I was sure that you'd be wearing Juicy Couture, huge sunglasses and a headband. :navkos1:

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I was a bit :lol: to see photos of the first arrivals back in the States being given American flags by volunteers. You'd swear that they'd come back from a war or the Olympics. :lol:

20. NancyNC

Well, Juicy Couture was one of the fashions in the Victoria and Albert Museum fashion exhibit...:scream:

21. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

:rofl:

22. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Love it.

23. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

You didn't go see the exhibit about the fashions that Grace Kelly wore. No. You saw the one about Juicy Couture? Hmm... ;)

24. NancyNC

Eeek no - the main fashion exhibit had a Juicy Couture outfit, I didn't see an entire exhibit on it! :scream: :lol: Unfortunately the Grace Kelly exhibit was sold out for the day (one of the pay exhibits there). We could see a few of the outfits from the entrance though, and they were stunning. :swoon:

25. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Great!

I just got home from the airport where I picked up my coworker who was stuck in Paris for a week. She too is very happy to be back home!!!!!

26. Finnice

My editor was stuck in London (he was the only Finn who made it to the London book fair), two friends in Milan because of the furniture and desing fair, one traveled by bus and boat from Kap Verde to Finland - but I think they did not get any Finnish flags at the Helsinki harbour:drama::rofl:

27. softlip

softlip Active Member

Maybe it was already mentioned upthread: Stranded Britons attack British Airways after hike in seat prices

£4,700 = 5,400 Euro = $7,200

:lynch: BA

28. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Well, I made it to Italy with little disruption. When we got to O'Hare to fly out on the 19th, we were told we'd only be checked though to Rome but that Torino was closed so they wouldn't check baggage any further than Rome. We were advised to call ahead and book a car in Rome to drive to Torino, and were told that the wait for train tickets was averaging 7 hours.

We tried arranging a car but that didn't work, so we decided to just get to Rome and see what happened. Our flight was 2 hours delayed in leaving because the flight from Rome was 2 hours later due to an alternate path to avoid ash (the 10 hour flight had become 12 hours!). When we got to Rome, we discovered Torino was open and that Alitalia had already booked us on the next flight out, so overall we got to Torino only about 2 hours later than was initially planned.

*whew*!!

Flights back were normal of course. I think the only residual thing that I experienced from the ash was that I couldn't see the mountains from the ground. Small price to pay.

29. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Glad your trip turned out so well. We decided to postpone, since we had to fly through Frankfurt and the Frankfurt/Venice flights were not flying the day before we were scheduled to leave. They did fly our scheduled flights, the next day, though. We were just concerned that we would have hotel costs that we would not be able to get back if we got stuck in Frankfurt. Also, we didn't want to be two of the thousands there stranded.

So, I did not get to wave to you :(:).

We're going in September. It was initially disappointing, but now we still have the whole trip ahead of us :).

Kruss and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I'm so sorry you had to postpone, but so glad you're still going! My cousin told my dad next time we should fly through Frankfurt and all I could think is how glad I am we didn't this time.

Have a wonderful time in September! :)