Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Here's the story of an amazing woman who has MS. She was going to fly to New York from Paris to participate in an MS walk, but when that couldn't happen, she organized her own MS walk in Paris in just 24 hours! :cheer2:

2. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

:respec:

3. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Trade places then?

Sorry, I know you're frustrated. It's just hard to hear when your first and only trip to Europe was in 1993. I've been wanting to visit London for years...

Hope everyone can travel soon.

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

On CNN earlier today they had a segment about some parents still stuck in Europe and their small kids are home in the US. Showed them video conferencing and mother was all crying (and the kids appear to be with several adults watching them).
    I am like - whatever, they aren't sick/dying, they will just be delayed in coming home. Other people have real problems. I guess I am not a softie, but there is real news, like the commerce and other things that this is impacting.

5. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I'd think it would be the temporary caregivers, who are stuck taking care of the kids for a substantially-longer-than-planned-for time who'd be crying. ;)

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

7. softlip

softlip Active Member

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Iceland has blown smoke in my face :drama:

To be honest, after my 2009 trip, I didn't think I can love Iceland even more, but now I do! After an exhausting 20 days trip to Italy, I came back to Israel for the Independence day, and TAHbKA started forcing me into going to Europe for the vacation. Needless to say, my energy state was close to that of a dried Italian tomato. And, voila, Europe is closed, no can do, everybody stays home :respec:

Goooooo Iceland!

hailstorm and (deleted member) like this.
  9. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

10. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

My BF is stranded in Brussels, my cousin couldn't fly to Rio de Janeiro, my former boss is stuck in Taïwan. It's better than being killed in a plane crash but I'd be fuming too (pun intended :D) if I were them...

11. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So true!!!!!

12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

To quote the AP re: people's concerns that the ash cloud isn't as dangerous as advertised:

13. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Yep. And no government wants to be the ones responsible if they give the all clear and a plane then crashes.

14. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

My flight is 2 hours delayed, but is leaving for Rome. Not sure what will happen when I get there tomorrow morning, though. :)

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Looking on the bright side ....

. the upper air has been less polluted with manmade exhausts in the past few days :)

. businesses (restaurants, shops, etc. ) at airports have been brisk

. people that live near airports enjoyed a few noise free days.

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  16. itsartemis

itsartemis There will only be one Daisuke!

Norwegian airlines "Norwegian" and "SAS" have been cleared to fly a few of their planes above 35 000 feet and will start flying Norwegians stuck in Malaga, Spain home this evening. Since the ashcloud is between 20 000 and 35 000 feet, they are sure this will be safe. They are not sure what will happen if there is an emergency situation and they have to fly lower though. :eek:

Amazing mother nature

17. Civic

Civic New Member

Another nice day trip away from the tourist hordes...take the Tube to Harrow-on-the-Hill. Like many London suburbs it started out as an independent village. The highlight for me was the beautiful medieval church and churchyard. Have you been to Kew? This might be a good time to visit it being spring and all.

18. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

itsartemis: Have you heard anything about this:

http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/erlent/2010/04/19/naudlending_i_nordur_noregi/

I can't find it anywhere else. It basically says a plane from Norwegian airline Wideröe had to emergency land this morning after one of it's engines gave out. Landed safely. It says they will check to see if it was from ash or just a coincidence and something else was wrong with engine.

I just keep reading a lot about how much the airlines are losing each day and with the stories about military aircraft coming out I'd like to think governments don't give in to pressure from big business to open things before they are sure.

I heard today that they expect the winds to change around Thursday and then it´ll be Iceland and NA airports that are affected. Not sure that helps those trying to get across the ocean :lol:

19. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

20. itsartemis

itsartemis There will only be one Daisuke!

Apparently it was pure coincidence. One of the engines stopped, but the other worked, so they landed safely. It had nothing to do with the ash.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I also don't think the airline should be responsible for food and board. It is nice of them to do but with this many people, it could bankrupt even the wealthiest of companies. I do think that if people purchased tickets and the flight never takes off that they should at least get their money back if they have to cancel their trip. I know the airline is losing money but these people should get their money back, IMO. At the very least they should get some kind of rain check to travel at a later date with no restrictions such as black out dates.

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That's because Norway is clear of the cloud, as is Spain, so if they can get above 35000 feet before they reach the cloud, they can fly clear of it.

Brussels Airline is bussing people meant to fly to non-affected destinations to Porto and flying them out from there. It's also flying people from Africa etc back to Porto and bussing them into Brussels. It's a LONG bus trip, but better than nothing.

Most of the UK should be clear tomorrow at 1200GMT - although London will be a little later. This is based on the current prediction of how fast the cloud will move.

Hopefully this means Belgium will be clear by Wednesday morning, but as the cloud moves south, other countries could be affected including Northern Italy.

Good luck to everyone who has flights planned this week! According to my :sekret: source, if you have a ticket for a flight that is flying, the airlines can't refuse you in favour of someone who has been waiting a few days unless it's an absolute emegency. Most airlines are expecting huge cancellations which will help clear the backlog, but within the EU apparently they can't turn away a passanger who turns up on thursday with a ticket for thursday (for arguments sake) if the flight is flying.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hopefully all this will be cleared up soon and airlines can resume normal service.

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Some good news

Note - "this afternoon" means Tuesday afternoon European time, as it's already Tuesday morning in Australia :)

26. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

according to our news in Canada the British Navy is going around in ships to get British subjects :lol: we use our military for clearing snow (cough..Toronto:shuffle: ) but can't ever see them using their services to help out Canadian citizens stranded anywhere :p

27. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/07/18/evacuation-logistics.html

This was a couple of years ago. I don't think they were naval vessels, but then we wouldn't have had any in the area, and we don't really have the larger ships that would be needed in those circumstances. But they certainly have been used in smaller scale evacuations and rescues in the past.

28. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

29. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

ya its headline news here - bigger volcano eruptions and all heading to the UK and south east.. showed the lack of visibility in Iceland from the ash - scary stuff.. they have flood waters as well, the pictures are stunning though from the latest eruptions :shuffle:

30. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

On a lighter note, a joke I read online...

The Europeans are claiming they asked Iceland for CASH, not ASH.

Sorry, had to share.