1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Apr 15, 2010.

1. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Forever hoovering chihuahua fur! Staff Member

God, I hate that people are trying to make :bribe: out of this mess.

Yes he could, but my point was the pedantry involved here.

A friend of mine is due to go on a 7 day cruise from Southampton to NYC next week, stay for 3 days and then fly back. I guess that holiday is up in the air (pardon the pun) so I guess ships do?

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Sorry...my snark wasn't aimed at you; it was aimed at the people in the article complaining. I'm just worried about our kids who are in Europe right now and hoping that things settle down enough so they can get home on Wednesday.

3. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

The eruption to date should not have any lasting effect on the climate.

The problem comes if the ash ejection gets above 50,000 feet into the stratosphere. Up there the dust is very slow to fall out. Right now the ash cloud is 35,000 feet and below.

If the eruption were to become more explosive with higher ash ejection, then it is a new ball game. Right now that doesn't seem likely.

The problem is the upper level jet stream pattern is stuck, thus the ash will pour across Europe from Iceland. We need a change in the upper level pattern to stop the ash from streaming towards Europe and to dissipate the ash that is currently across Europe.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It would be nice. Some of the ferries are built for it.

Not on a regular schedule. The only one that does is the Queen Mary 2. I think she does several transatlantic crossings a year, but is currently the only ship. Cruise ships do those repositioning cruises, where they may cross an ocean, but stop at several ports
    along the way.

OT, I'm wondering if it's possible to travel south by train/boat/car and take flights from southern Europe/North Africa/Middle East to the final destination???

5. Nan

Nan Just me

I'm glad to see you weigh in on this, Mr. SK8. Is there any change in the jet stream in sight?

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

About the hotels charging a ton of money, can't they pass some laws to quickly stop that? Around here the hotels can charge whatever they want and gas stations can do the same for gas. However, if there is a major problem like a hurricane then laws go into effect and anyone who price gauges can get into serious trouble. This is also true for things in need at that time like food, ice and water. Basically, the law is there to protect people during emergencies.

7. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Don't the insurances have to pay for hotels and stuff in such cases?

8. Melly80

Melly80 New Member

Even if they do, it'd probably take loads of paperwork and time. So first you'd have to pay it by yourself and hope to get the money back after all the paperwork.

9. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Or, do they not have to pay if it is "an act of God"? :confused:

10. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

It seems like the US air carriers are not covering their clients, while British air carriers (is there still Air France?), etc. are. I think it's because of something like whether or not they have an Act of God clause. So, if you flew USAir to Europe or want to go from the US, tough beans for you, you eat it. If you are on whatever is a current European carrier, say British Air, then they are covering your costs, whether you are stuck in the US and can't get to Europe or whether you are stuck in Europe and can't get to US or other parts of Europe. And some are discussing that they have travel insurance, but that depends on each individual case, I suppose.

I would imagine that, whenever things clear up, it's going to take days and days to get all of these people to wherever they are supposed to be going.

11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It would depend on the policy, but most do have an 'act of god' or 'force majeure' exclusion clause which would mean they're not obliged to cover anything.

As for the airlines - my friend and I were trying to work it out. The European carriers are bound by the European regulations BUT - only in Europe and in international airspace etc. So stranded Air France passangers in Canada, for example, are under Canadian jurisdiction. We can't work out if Air France is under Canadian jurisdiction but I don't think so :confused:

12. ebayj

ebayj Well-Known Member

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

WOW, ebayj, that's amazing.

So, I asked this question the first day and was stomped upon, am I stupid again if I ask: is anything flying out of Spain or Italy because they look clear, do they not go direct to US from those two countries or does no one want to go anywhere near it for fear it will spread to those two countries also?

14. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

A friend is in Greece and was scheduled to fly home (to Canada) from Rome but the flight's been cancelled. I don't know all the details, however.

15. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I am encouraged because the Chicago flights to Rome are still ongoing (Alitalia Airlines). From there, yesterday and today they have canceled flights to/from Torino. But tomorrow morning they canceled one flight but the next one is scheduled to go - same with Milan. I am hopeful this is accurate and that perhaps it's a good omen.

Although there are several ways for us to get to Torino from Rome, I know. And being that we're only going to one city and visiting family, I think we're in good position as opposed to if we were trying to meet up with a tour group that had a set schedule.

(hopeful hopeful hopeful)

And all my sincere wishes that this somehow clears up for everyone so people who want to get to their destinations can.

16. allezfred

allezfred Ragin' for equality Staff Member

Flights that can get in and out of Spain and Italy (and any other country) are flying as normal. I believe airports in Northern Italy are closed until tomorrow. Spanish airports have all reopened.

Are you asking why don't people in other parts of Europe travel to countries affected travel there to get to the US? 1) There is no guarantee that weather conditions won't have changed by the time they get there 2) There is considerable time and expense involved in getting from say Ireland or the UK to Spain or Italy over land (and sea)

By the way, I checked back to the start of the thread and I didn't see anyone who "stomped upon" you. :confused:

17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

What allezfred said, plus it's not just flights to the US which are affected. There are 22000 flights which depart from European cities everyday for destinations in Europe, Asia, South America, Australia etc as well as the US, so it's all those flights from the 20 other countries where the airspace is closed which is causing the chaos :)

18. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I talked to my coworker's mom this morning to see how she was handling the stress of being stuck in Paris past her Saturday return date. Everything so far has gone well. she teamed up with a family that had been stranded too and the tourist office found them a decent price hotel to wait things out. I'm relieved that she's doing well and can't wait to hear her stories when she gets back. So far, no return date; maybe Wednesday.

19. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Why does this not surprise me? :angryfire

20. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It's not the fault of the airlines that flights are grounded so I'm not sure why they should be responsible for food and accomodation. It's a very unfortunate situation and I have nothing but sympathy for stranded passengers, god knows I'd be a right terror if it were happening to me, but I just don't see it as their responsibility.

This is just one of those life sucks situations.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

One guy in NY this morning rebooked his ticket to Hong Kong so that it would take him west, rather than east, at an extra cost of $2000. Ouch.

22. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

There have been test flights (don't think I could be a tester) and things are looking more like they will resume sooner rather than later (also don't think I would be an early flier):

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_ICELAND_VOLCANO?SITE=KYWAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Does anyone else read into this that the European Union wants to take over the decision making process from individual countries? I would think that aside from the EU and individual countries, each airline might want to make its own decisions.

And I agree that the clouds are moving, and could switch directions and/or continue to spread.

23. GarrAarghHrumph

Runners expecting to participate in the Boston Marathon tomorrow have also been unable to fly into the US.

24. GarrAarghHrumph

Another factor is that everything that's non-air, be it trains, ferries, etc., that is running to and from the affected areas is pretty much booked for days.

25. FGRSK8

Not for another 2-3 days, then there a shift should slowly develop.

This eruption could not have picked the worse time of year. Spring is usually the best time for getting weather patterns that become blocked and remain stagnant for long periods of time.

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. FGRSK8

The disturbing part is the plume that seems to be retrograding west towards the Canadian Maritimes in the last few frames.

27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Saw that at the end, does that mean it is going or has the potential to go west?

28. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Yep. The irony in this is that we've had stunning weather for a week, and it's due to continue for another week. In Belgium, this is almost unheard of. However, continued disruption of flights is the price we're paying for a gorgeous, cloudless sky.

It's fine if you don't have to fly anywhere, but I know 9 people affected (just off the top of my head). Some are pretty pissed. Some are enjoying their prolonged holidays though :lol:

29. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Forever hoovering chihuahua fur! Staff Member

I didnt think it was a really moany article. Thought they were seeing the irony :) The people who are moaning they cant get to Benidorm are doing my head in :p

Naturally, huge amounts of texts joking are going round ;)

(Iceland is a big Frozen Food Chain in the UK)

Cheryl Cole is a pop star, X Factor Judge who is married to a footballer, Ashley 'Ash' Cole who she is now divorcing for his feckless ways.....

(Spoilers for those easily offended)

The volcano is still blowing Ash!

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  30. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Aye, some of my bright sparks kids in school thought it was the food shop and had never heard of the country :yikes: When I say kids I mean 17 year olds! (I am NOT their geography teacher!)