Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Apr 15, 2010.

1. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Anyone planning to travel in the nearish future should check with their specific airline to see what they will do in the event of more cancellations due to the ash because not all of them are providing food and accomodation.

They offer flight refunds and rebookings (within certain time frame so those who were planning vacations might want to read the fine print and go for the refund if you can't get more time off work) but many passengers are reaching into their own pockets for food and accomodation because some airlines are saying this isn't their fault so it's their "out".

Just something to keep in mind because no one knows how this thing will go. There is a major volcano, Katla, in the same area that is overdue for an eruption. She's a lost nastier then the one going off now and will most definitely cause more air traffic problems. Don't mean that to be alarmist but rather more realistic and something to have in your mind when making decisions. Personally I hope she blows sooner than later just to get it over with.

2. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Read the last few paragraphs of this article. Last time this volcano erupted the eruptions lasted a year, but there was no air travel at that time. And then...another volcano joined in spewing toxic gas that killed Europeans.

This could go on for awhile...worst case...

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/cp-article.aspx?cp-documentid=23872147

I'm so glad I took my Iceland vacation in 2008 before the economy collapsed and the volcanoes went crazy. Such a beautiful, beautiful place. Perhaps my most favorite trip.

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Dang. Are we going to have to bring back the ocean liners? No travel plans for us, but it does make you think. With all our technology, we're never going to be in total control.

4. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Despite the last eruption mentioned in the article, no one knows how long it will go on. It's impossible to predict. Yes, it went on for a while last time, but each eruption is different and it depends on winds and a range of other factors.

Honestly, the media is gettig a little hysterical, as are some people. A friend of mine wrote on facebook that the UK has cancelled all flights until next saturday. They haven't. They'll reassess at midnight tonight, which is a week earlier than she claimed :rofl:

I hope it ends soon - I shudder to think what will happen if it doesn't. I'm already :scream: at the long term effects. It could mean a cooler summer for Europe, which after our :cold: winter, I don't want!

5. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Careful, that borders on hysteria ;)

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  6. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:drama:

We're all going to die! It'll go on for years! it's the apocalypse! WE HAVE TO STOP THIS VOLCANO :mitchell:

:p

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think if you didn't have family responsibility back home then you might rather enjoy being stuck in Europe for a few extra days. I think I would.

9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Eys. A friend of mine is stuck on her honeymoon. She's devastated :p

10. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Interesting article on World Leader's attempts to make it to Lech Kazcynski's funeral in Poland. Obama has cancelled plans to attend. :(

Obama Cancels Plans

11. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm more :rofl: about the gold card BA frequent flyer on the children's bike!

13. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I'm really starting to hate this place. :wall:

14. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Hate the volcano. It's the volcano's fault!

Have you been to Richmond? If not, do that. It's a lovely place, has a beautiful park and there's also a bit of a village feel. It's well away from the hustle and bustle of London's centre.

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It could be worse. One of the pro cyclists on Team Sky who is from Norway went out to an oil rig to make an appearance and do a spinning class, and has been stuck on the oil rig since Wednesday.

Hope you get home soon.

16. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

I just spent 5 hours on schiphol airport giving out free coffee and tea. Some people were seriously looking at me like I dropped from heaven. I really feel for these people, some of them are going to spend their 3rd night on the floor there right now. Hotels are charging an insane amount of money.... I can get very mad at that... If I wouldn't live on the other side of the country and would have had a bigger house I would have taken people home...poor guys... :(

nerdycool, softlip, LynnW and 17 others like this.
  17. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Major :respec::respec: to you. Been reading how hotels, car rentals etc...are jacking up their prices to cash in on the demand so it's nice to read this side of it.

18. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I know several people who are choosing to stay at the airport they're stuck at despite being offered accommodation, because they want to be there when the flights start back again.

19. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

So did Stephen Harper.
    At least he could take a ferry, a couple of trains, and some taxis to *get* home.

20. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

"...he bought a women's bike for 49 euro (£43) while his colleague picked out a bright pink contraption with a giant basket in front."

:rofl: I would have loved to have seen the parade of bicycle riders wobbling up the ferry's ramp.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hollywood is going to have a field day with this topic. I can hardly wait for the first movie to come out. hehehe :rofl:

22. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Why are hotels jacking up the prices? For every person stranded in Europe, isn't there someone from North America, Asia, Australia or somewhere else in Europe who can't fly and take up the hotel room they had booked?

23. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

because most hotels here are fully booked anyway, it's extremely difficult to get a hotelroom and the hotels want to make some money...:mad:

24. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

we have many europeans from various airlines including Air France stranded at airport with no food and no money.. If i was closer I would follow your lead.. not sure who said airlines cover food costs from Europe but its not happening here :(
    http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/17/volcanic-ash-europe-flights.html

25. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

today I heard some noises, that they are trying to help out families and kids atleast, putting them in bungalowparcs or something... also I heard lots of Dutch people are being generous offering their homes.

I am working at some highspeed train lounge today. Occasionally I have some stressed people coming in asking me for information or something. I had a lady here crying, because she couldn't fly out with her 11month old and had no mobile phone... I let her use mine... some other guy just came to ask if I don't know a way to book a trainticket to Athens... and I can't do that through the internet...

and actually I'd just send these people away but my heart just can't....

at the airport I know they are giving out some sandwiches, and yesterday we were there with coffee and tea... and some people are getting blankets and a pillow... but I did hear of 2 older ladies sitting there, and they asked for a blanket and a pillow and they did.not.get.it :mad: meh... "only if you have small children" or something like that....

cygnus and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Kudos for you, Deedeelocks!
    I also feel for the people stuck at the airports, but this really is something one can not predict, I guess. We are so used to that everything goes as we plan that it creates stress, even hysteria.

I am in Toscana, but will leave at 29th to Salzburg via Zurich, then back to Finlan d on the 1st of May. My husband got an extra holiday, because of the evaluation congress next week in Finland had to be cancelled.

Like Hanna, I think there is something poetical about in all this. Volcanoes are older that flying machines. A man can not control everything. I still keep on wrting postcards. Let´s see when they reach home, if ever.

27. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0418/travelupdates.html

28. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

yeah, my friend saw an airplane fly in the sky today...
    hope they will be able to fly some people out again soon... :drama:

I was just downstairs at the international trainticket office and :eek: it's a biiiiiiiiiiiig mess!!

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Too bad the ships don't do the transatlantic route anymore.

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It's possible to get from London to Sydney and back by bus though :D

I'm sure the ships will start up again if this continues!

The problem is that we have fantastic weather here at the moment. And the same pressure systems which are keeping us under a cloudless sky, are keeping the ash on the continent. We need rain and strong winds to get rid of it, and it's not forecast for a week.

No flights till tomorrow, they're now saying.