Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Nan

Nan Just me

2. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I did all of the bookings through American Express. I spoke to them last night, the agent told me it's too early to do anything, or even ask questions. As they don''t know what Thursday will bring. I suppose they could route us through Rome, but that would switch us from Lufthansa to Continental (both are United bookings, however). We're just going to have to ride it out. I will feel especially bad for my BF, not only will this be disappointing, she will have flown to NJ as her final destination :eek:. Little Italy, in NYC will not quite suffice :).

I know. This happened to all of the US Jr. Team members after 9/11. None of the skaters did the JGP's after 9/11. I think 1 happened before and 1 happened during, but the rest did not go out. It was very disappointing and it impacted the Jr skaters' rankings internationally. But, USFS had no choice, their safety was more important.

3. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Swiss airports closed from midnight on.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

None of the US skaters were able to go to their scheduled JGPs that fall because the first JGP was Sept. 13-16, 2001, and the USFSA made the decision to withdraw everyone after 9/11 and cancelled the 2nd JGP in Phoenix, AZ (Sept. 20-23).

5. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Actually, you are correct that there was not one before 9/11. But the athletes did go to Bulgaria for the 9/13-16 JGP. They got there a few days before and were stranded there. I remember some of the athletes discussing the fact that competing right after was very hard, that the athletes from other nations were very supportive, and discussing being stranded. So, it waas only one JGP not two :).

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Oh right, thanks for the correction about the first JGP in Sofia, cruisin. I remember the situation now. Here's hoping both you and your friend will be able to make it to Italy after all.

7. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

And thank you for reminding me that there was not one before Bulgaria :).

Thank you! I don't fly well, so this will just make me more nervous, if it's a go.
    I just looked at the United site, they are not talking refunds, they will be allowing reschedules with no fare increase or change fee. but it will still have to be used within a year, and if you can't do that...? C'est la vie. Or rather, cio' e' la vita!

8. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

9. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

News reports stating that the last time this volcano blew (1821) it erupted for 2 years straight! :eek:

10. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It's just the wrong time of year. If the wind were in the other direction, it wouldn't be Europe that was suffering.

A friend of mine is stuck in Malta. She's quite pleased ;) My neighbour is stuck in Portugal and is less pleased, as he's supposed to be skiing in Austria tomorrow. My flatmate got to London on a previously booked Eurostar train, and said it was overflowing with people who had trekked across Europe. All eurostar trains and P&) ferries are booked out till Monday.

I'm watching BBC now, and they interviewed a lovely group of people stranded in an airport who said "It's a volcano. You can't get mad about that. It's not a strike, there's no uncleared snow on the runway. There's nothing anyone can do".

It's an excellent point. Let's just hope the wind changes!

11. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

12. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Airports in Ireland are all open, so if you can make it this far you can swim the rest of the way. ;)

13. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

The Portuguese airports are also open, but about 185 flights were cancelled. I hope everyone in Iceland is ok.

:drama:

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

No wonder. I tried to identify that sound and could not. :duh:

15. allezfred

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

True that. :respec:

And yeah, I can see how people can be disappointed that their long-planned trips are now up in the air. As long as they don't demand on the evening news that they fly anyway (cause that's just idiotic), I don't see how it's a wrong feeling to have.

I'm glad that the everyone is being safe about this. Canceled flights are much better options than numerous search and rescue teams scouring the ocean for bodies...

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

There was a report today on NPR news that John Clees hired a taxi to take him from Oslo to Brussels where he hoped to get a train/bus/whatever. :lol: $5000. Hope he made it to wherever he wanted to go.

18. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

make sure you double check that the airline is legally obliged because they aren't here in north america with most airlines.. it's classed as an 'act of god' thus non refundable for insurance - for those who actually did get insurance.. btw last time this volcano was spewing for two years.. maybe time to start rowing to Japan ;)

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Isn't it about the jet stream and not just winds at the surface or even below 20,000 feet? The jet stream always goes in the same general direction just with dips and peaks that change. I'm sure the winds at the surface matter as well but this volcano has been going for some time now and I don't remember it being a problem until the ash got into the jet stream.

20. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

And it's not as if one can politely ask the volcano to desist.

hailstorm and (deleted member) like this.
  21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Do they have any idea how long this one may last? Is there a way for them to have any kind of clue or is it completely unknown when this will end? That could be really awful, will people begin having to fly around the world if they need to get from Europe to the US, assuming they can even take off and go anywhere.

22. genegri

genegri Active Member

I wonder if this cloud will move further east? DH is in Dubai on business right now and will fly to China tomorrow, and that flight is still on schedule. And he will fly back to US next Sunday. Hopefully everything will be cleared by then.

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I don't know how well that will have worked out for him. The eurostar is booked solid till Monday. There's no way he'd be able to get a ticket back to the UK from here, and Norweigan airspace should reopen today if it hasn't already. Belgium will be affected longer...and I'd rather be stuck in Oslo than Brussels :scream:

I have a friend stuck in Cairo. It's not the airline's fault, nor the insurance people, so they're refusing to pay for accommodation of rebooking on another flight. Unless she stays in the airport until UK airspace is cleared, she'll be out of pocket.

I wouldn't assume that airlines are legally obliged to offer a refund - they'll possibly just offer rebooking at a later date. BUT - that said, they'd lose a lot of customers and credibility over that so there will quite possibly be an exception made here.

24. allezfred

EU Consumer Rights

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

So basically - (and this applies to the EU only, not the US) a volcano is an act of god and the airlines are not legally obliged to do anything. It could therefore depend on travel insurance.

FYI - under international law, the laws regulating an aircraft or an airline will be the laws in which that airline is registered. For example, British Airways operate under British laws even if they are in the US. United operate under US laws even if they're in the UK, so the EU regulations are just for airlines which are registered within Europe (even if they operate outside of it).

Not directed at you, Allezfred - just an observation if anyone else was interested :p

I know SO many people affected - the list is growing by the hour. We're all quite pleased that my boss is stuck on the other side of the continent though :shuffle:

Nope - the volcano is MORE active now. It hasn't spewed ash 11km into the air in a long time. The winds are affecting it. How do you think it got into the jet stream? ;)

The winds across Europe at the moment are nor-westerly, which is why it is covering the whole continent. If you look up the jet stream, you'll see that many southern and eastern countries that are affected today wouldn't be if it were just the jet stream :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  26. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It's a different eruption site now, it's not that it's more active. The first eruption in March was on a mountain pass between the two glaciers. This latest one is on one of the glaciers and a different type of eruption which has been a problem for air traffic since it erupted.

27. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

My school has a group of 20 junior high kids and some parents, along with one teacher and our principal over in Europe right now. They're supposed to be flying home from Rome via Montreal on Wednesday. I saw this morning, that some flights out of a Rome airport have been cancelled. I hope our crew is able to get home as planned, but yes, fred, I'd rather see them wait until it's safe. I just hope that if they are delayed, the tour company they're with (Explorica) has some contingency plans.

28. allezfred

The airlines are legally obliged to refund or reroute you. And provide accommodation and food. Aside from that, as this is an "act of God", they don't have to pay anything extra as they would if say their aircraft broke down.

Of course, you're correct that this only applies to the EU. I think I'll bring this up next time I hear somebody complain about bureaucrats in Brussels. ;)

29. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

There was also a school group of about 38 people from California stuck in Lisbon, yesterday.

:(

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

oooh - sorry, misread it because of the 'act of God part'.

Well at least the Eurocrats are doing something useful. But the Belgian ones? :scream: When I complain about bureaucracy in Brussels, I always complain about it on a national level ;)

It would seem that many airlines are taking the strictest possible interpretation of their obbligations. The lucky ones have beds in the airport, and many are just sleeping on the floor. I've heard lots of stories from all over Europe about people who are out of pocket paying for hotels, which makes me :confused: