Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Apr 15, 2010.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Right now Spanish airports are open, but for how long?

I am :eek::mad::(. I am supposed to leave for Italy next Thursday. If this keeps up :(. We fly through Frankfurt.

2. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Why the :mad: ? You'd prefer that the planes fly, but potentially into clouds of volcanic ash and the engines stop? :confused:

Bit of perspective here people. Planes aren't flying for a reason. Sucks that you can't get home or go on holiday, but you're alive.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  3. cruisin

Are you for real? Obviously I wouldn't want the planes to fly if it were not safe. But, excuse me for being disappointed if my plans get screwed up and I lose a lot of money.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

For 9/11 yes. But other than that, nothing this large, no.

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I heard on the news tonight this could end up keeping quite a few of the World Leaders who were planning on attending the State Funeral in Poland on Monday from being there.

My cousin is a Air Traffic Controller at Pearson. I bet he had quite the unusual work day today.

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

When flights get cancelled, the previous passengers get priority so this could dump people off of flights way into next week. So glad no planes flew into this cloud of doom, worse than a flock of birds.

7. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Last I heard, Frankfurt was still open. Berlin and Hamburg are shut down. Could have changed by now though.
    But there's plenty of time until next Thursday :)

8. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I think that depends on the airline?

9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I blame Canada.

BYTCH and (deleted member) like this.
  10. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Chad the CNN weather guy said tonight this could last for weeks because of the jet stream - causing a circular type motion which would stop the ash from moving eastward away - and dissipate.. oh dear :( May effect flights for quite a while if the jet stream doesn't move..

11. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

This is an earnest question. How do they get detailed pictures of the ash from above the clouds without being in a plane? Is a satellite image that detailed?

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

This country is so screwed. I took a vacation there in 2008 and it was one of the best vacations I ever took...even in February!!
    Such an incredibly picturesque country and wonderful people.

Now the economy has collapsed, the country is bankrupt and the volcanoes are active again, closing the ONE highway that goes all the way around the island.

I know this is about the rest of Europe, too, but my heart goes out to the Island. I hope they recover.

13. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I fly to Rome on Monday (from Chicago), then a short flight up to Torino. Praying it's clear.

14. screech

screech Well-Known Member

When I think of Iceland I always think of Bjork, and I'm now thinking that she should put on her swan dress and fly people to their destinations.

Though it's a much larger scale and intensity, the ash cloud thing is making me think of the Australia dust storm from September that clouded over much of the country.

15. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

I was :rofl: and :rolleyes: at some Scottish Guy on the news at an airport yesterday, paraphrasing he said something like, "I dont see why the flights have to be cancelled, It's not like it's on the ground is it?" .... duuuh.

I hope people that know him, rib him for the rest of his life over that remark. :p

Like Hanna, cos I dont have to fly anywhere right now, Im loving watching pictures of the volcano and the path of the ash cloud. I just hope it doesnt start with the whole 'sulphur smell' around by me though.. gag! LOL

16. allezfred

Yes, I am. Ask SHARPIE. :D

If you are lucky enough to be able to afford to go on holiday, then you should be adult enough to suck it up. And hopefully get some perspective while you're at it. :p

17. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Frankfurt is closed now. 13 of the 16 international airports in Germany are.

18. cruisin

Sometimes, I think you forget to engage your brain when you make comments. Are you, in any way, capable of understanding other people? Or, do you just get off on being nasty?

Clearly, I'm lucky to be able to go on a vacation. However it's not going to be lucky to lose the money on things that had to be pre-paid and are not refundable. I don't know when or if the trip can be rescheduled. Being disappointed that a trip, that has been planned for months and that a friend is traveling (from KY) to NJ to go on with me, might get canned is disappointing. If you don't or can't understand that, then maybe you need to get some perspective, and some human feelings while you're at it. I will have no choice, but to suck it up, if it gets cancelled. I will also have no choice but to take the $$ losses, unless you want to cover them, since you seem to have so much perspective. :rolleyes:

What made you so bitter?

19. allezfred

I was born that way. :D

You still haven't explained what or who you are :mad: at though. Is it the volcano? :saint:

20. cruisin

I'm mad at the situation. Not tearing my hair out, not running around screaming. More like frustrated, feeling a bit anxious, and will be disappointed if this doesn't clear up. It's easy for you to not care, you don't have plans with your best friend. Plans that took a lot of organizing and that you've been looking forward to. And the potential loss of pre-paid things that may not be recoverable due to natural conditions. Why are you picking on some silly graphic "mad" face so literally? Lighten up.

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I normally see some planes from my window, so it's kind of odd not to! I'm somewhat annoyed to be stuck in a cloud of ash when I was stuck in a cloud of dust in Sydney last September ( I'm asthmatic so I've felt both events) but it's such a rare thing, you have to roll with it.

If you're stuck somewhere, take the time to do something you wouldn't normally do. It could make a great story!

And FYI - Some Irish, Scottish and Scandanavian airports are due to open in a few hours. More will open at 1am tomorrow morning and all flights should resume by Sunday providing that no further ash clouds head our way. I dare say that certain airports like Heathrow will break curfew to get cancelled flights out, so while air travel will still be out of kilter for a few days, everyone waiting for a flight should get to where they're going in the next few days.

22. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

There are satellites out there that can clearly show writing on someone's shirt.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  23. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I saw that same guy, I was :confused: as to what he was on about :lol:

http://www.icelandair.us/informatio...UPTIONS_DUE_TO_VOLCANIC_ACTIVITY_IN_ICELAND_/

Not sure if that will work but it looks like they are planning to get a plane out to Glascow but all the others they were hoping to get to Europe have been cancelled.

We had guests staying with us the past week and they managed to sneak into Keflavik from NY before the winds change.

I know Icelandair and Air Canada are not prioritizing passengers on cancelled flights for next flights out. They are offering refunds or rescheduling but people booked on whatever flights that manage to leave are getting those flights. Just wanted to put that out there again to check with your airline and don't assume you have priority.

The flight Icelandair is trying to get out to Glascow is for those who want to get to Europe and are willing to make their own arrangements once there to get to where they are going ( guess with ferries and trains )

24. allezfred

Sounds like you should take your own advice. ;)

My partner is flying to Japan next weekend. Things are likely to have cleared up by then, but if they haven't what can you do? The airlines are legally obliged to offer a refund, a reroute or a reschedule.

I've told him more or less the same thing as I've told you cruisin. As I've done to several colleagues who've had flights cancelled for this weekend. I've been there, done that myself in the past. In the end, your own personal safety is worth a hell of a lot more than a bit of lost money. :)

25. allezfred

Transport Updates from Irish TV

26. Nan

Nan Just me

I agree 100% with this, but I can't deny that if I miss my flight and a vacation that I've worked an extra job for and planned for and anticipated for almost a year, the disappointment and frustration will probably make me :wuzrobbed .

Not a thing I can do except wait, but the waiting is hard.

Thank you for the update. :)

allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  27. cruisin

I get that, but you seem to have a problem with a person being disappointed. I have been disappointed before and will likely be again, but that doesn't change the fact that it will stink if we can't go on Thursday. It would stink more if we went and something awful happened due to airline/airport negligence/greed. It is actually heartening to know that the airlines/airports are handling this responsibly. But, I am actually more concerned for my friend. I have been to Italy before, but my friend has never been to Europe. She has saved and worked overtime for this trip, part of my disappointment is for her. We stand to lose money from pre-paid train tickets and rental cars. The airlines will give us a refund. The hotels will not be an issue, we have 48 hour cancellation options. But the first night hotel might charge us if we don't cancel early enough.

I know that safety is the most important issue. I'm not even sure that I would risk going if they don't clear the airports until Wednesday. We have to wait and see, but it is frustrating.

28. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Hopefully you have been on the phone with the airline and asking them if they can re-route you farther south? If they could send you through Madrid, all Spanish airports seemed to be open as of an hour or so ago. Or you could fly through Scotland since they're opening up as of 1900 tonight. ;)

I have a flight confirmed out on Sunday, will keep an eye on things to see if I have to change it. I'm slightly more cheery after having visited my favorite London bookstore (Daunt Books on Marylebone High Street) and doing my bit to help support the London economy. :lol: Too bad I have been here so much because I could have been doing all sorts of touristy stuff. Off to a pub for dinner tonight and some :40beers: .

Still want to be at home for a lovely weekend though... :shuffle:

29. timing

timing fragrance free

I'm hoping everything clears up in time for the US teams and any other teams which need to fly to make it to the 1st Nation's Cup. Safety is most important but I know skaters who will be disappointed if they can not get there in time to compete.

30. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Some levity :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jq-sMZtSww

Dispite some of the comments below the video more of the ones in Icelandic are saying they, especially a few at the beginning, did a good job trying to pronounce it. It isn't about mocking but it's funny to listen to. Fwiw I think of all the volcanos in Iceland to erupt this one has the most difficult name to pronounce, many sounds in it that don't exist in English. It took me a few years to get the proper sound for "LL" as the sound doesn't exist in english and where the sound is made in your mouth isn't used when speaking english.