Icelandic Volcano Causes European Flight Cancellations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Apr 15, 2010.

1. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Just in case anyone is planning to fly in, out or over the UK today, flights have been suspended until 8pm tonight.

Article

2. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

Amsterdam Airport is closing down as well...

3. equatorial

equatorial Well-Known Member

Iceland should be declared a rogue nation and part of Axis of Evil. First a bank collapse wiping out savings across Europe, now a volcano grounding European flights. Enough is enough! Memo to the UN: Discuss.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Flights are now suspended until 6am Friday morning, British time. It's possible it could go longer, and/or have sporadic cancellations as the ash clears. Scandinavian area flights are also impacted.

ETA: Now they're saying that it's possible all flights will also be cancelled on Friday. Possibly also Saturday.

Flights headed from the US to the UK have been turned back in mid-flight.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. GarrAarghHrumph

I've heard that the Irish airports have also cancelled flights in an out. Is that the case?

6. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

All flights over Netherlands, Belgium and Northern Germany cancelled.

7. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Well you know there is no C in the Icelandic alphabet so when the British were asking for more Cash all we had to send them was some ash :p

sk8sue, Really, mpal2 and 13 others like this.
  8. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Re: GarrArgh: Airports all over Europe are shutting down; a graphic at the bottom of Allezfred's article link shows how the ash plume is spreading all over Scandinavia, UK, and northern mainland Europe. Here's another graphic from the Guardian that's annotated with airport closings all over Europe.

FGRSK8 can opine far more informedly about weather and climatology than I can, but I'd assume if the ash cloud is significant enough (as in the Mount Pinatubo eruption), it would cause brilliant sunsets in Europe in the immediate near term, and could also lead to a temporary reduction in global temperatures that could have significant, wide-ranging short-term (several months to a year) effects for weather and climate in unknown nooks and crannies of the world. If indeed significant, the effects on climate would, in turn, have unknown yet profound economic effects.

From this random link:
    The link goes on to say how the 1992 Mount Pinatubo eruption did indeed result in lowered global temperatures for a year or so.

9. allezfred

Yes.

10. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Brilliant...:rofl:

marbri and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh dear! :lol:

12. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I just paraphrased and plagiarized a local joke ;)

eta...the last time this volcano went off it lasted two years and according to history whenever this one goes off Katla follows. Katla is the volcano most people there would worry about. Not that it matters much to people but maybe something to keep in mind if planning a last minute trip that there could be more disruptions over some time depending on where the wind blows. Amusing to me is the only airport open in Northern Europe at this time is the one in Reykjavik :lol:

13. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Still...thanks for telling it. :)

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Wow, that's amazing!

15. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

OK, not quite Pinatubo-magnitude yet according to another article I found. But if the volcano keeps on going, and triggers Katla, as marbri mentioned, then we might see some real climate effects.

But, yes, if there are measurable intermediate term climate effects (i.e. cold winters the next year or two), then you can easily imagine the consequences: more snowfall and/or coldness --> more demand for heating oil --> less people venturing out to shop in the cold --> lost productivity/GDP than what would have otherwise occurred, etc. etc.

ETA: Another article on (possible) climate impact.

16. Nan

Nan Just me

Any guesses on how long this will impact flights going into and out of London?

17. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I am stuck in London and depressed. :( I have been here all week on business and I'm really really ready to go home... Looks like I will have at least one day and possibly more for the sightseeing I rarely get to do during my trips here. But I want to go home!!! :wall:

18. GarrAarghHrumph

At least through Saturday, maybe longer?

19. Nan

Nan Just me

Certainly no more than a week, though, right? :confused:

I have a flight into London in about a month and if I miss this trip with my daughter, there will be no consoling her. :wall:

20. GarrAarghHrumph

It depends on how long the volcano goes, and the direction of the winds during that time. Right now they think maybe two days, but say it depends on what the volcano does next.

21. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you are stuck.

A coworker is in Paris right now and I hope she'll be able to fly home on Saturday as scheduled as she does not handle stress very well!

22. allezfred

I wouldn't count on her being able to fly. Air France has cancelled all flights in and out of Paris tomorrow morning. It's going to have an effect on Saturdays flights one way or the other.

23. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Figured as much. She's going to be a basket case. Oh well, at least she is safe and that's all that counts.

24. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a mess.

Has it happened before that airports and cross Atlantic flights were cancelled?

Probably a stupid question: why can't everyone fly to Spain and east out of there?

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Because they can't fly to Spain?

26. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

You mean it's all over Europe, I thought it was just in their flight paths over Iceland to or from US. Sorry, didn't get that.

27. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Since I don't have to fly anywhere... I'm :inavoid: about the amazing forces of nature. I just find it astonishing. The volcano is erupting and there's nothing the 6,000,000+ people in the world can do about it. Planet Earth is just such a beautiful and wonderful thing.

Signed, a physical geography student ;)
    (I admit it's easy for me to say when it's not affecting me negatively)

OTOH, my parents are not so excited about it. They were supposed to be flying to Madeira tomorrow morning but not gonna happen now.

Jodi and (deleted member) like this.
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That would be just about as useful as most other UN discussions. :yawn:

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

See I don't know
    I don't know
    I don't know where I'm a gonna go
    When the volcano blow

No time to count what I'm worth
    Hey I just left the planet earth
    But a' where I go I hope there's rum
    Not to worry, more soon come

30. allezfred

Ireland, the UK, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, etc.

The hilarious thing is that Reykjavik Airport is open so you can fly from there to the US because the wind is blowing the volcanic ash east. :lol:

ETA: BBC now showing programme that may or may not be called "Top 10 Volcanoes....Ever". :rofl: