Ice Theatre of New York shows, April 29-May 1, to feature NavBoms, Weir (4/29 only)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

The Ice Theatre of New York's 2010 Home Season performances will take place at 7:00 p.m. at Sky Rink (Pier 61, Chelsea Piers) in New York City on Thursday April 29, Friday April 30, and Saturday, May 1.

Press release with performer/program list and ticket info: http://www.icetheatre.org/johnny-weir-to-debut-new-piece-at-home-season.html
    Johnny Weir will perform on Opening Night only (April 29) and debut a new program titled "Heartbroken". He will also skate to Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance".
  2. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I hear the performance tomorrow night is nearly sold out - if anyone is thinking of going, it's a good idea to call Ice Theater first and make sure tickets are still available.
  3. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. RUKen

RUKen Guest

Kim Navarro had skated with ITNY prior to her partnership with Brent, so this is a homecoming for her.
  5. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

6. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Beautiful program. FINALLY! After all that weird shiz and posing with Lady Gaga, finally something more subtle and emotional again. I like it! :saint:
  7. taylorfax

taylorfax New Member

Words can not express how much I approve of that outfit, unf. :swoon:
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This is Johnny's skating as I first loved it.
  9. igniculus

And this is how I remember it from the old days. :)
  10. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. This is the Johnny that we love!
  11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks! That was wonderful. Anyone know who choreographed this? Whoever it is, Johnny should work with them more.
  12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

According to the information with the video, he choreographed it himself.
  13. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks. I missed that info. Well, then, I think he should continue working with himself in the future. :lol: Actually, I'd really like to see him work with some of the choreographers associated with the Ice Theatre. The programs that Paul Wylie did with Lars Lubovich are still among my favorites.
  14. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I was there! He was lovely and didn't disappoint. :)
  15. REO

REO New Member

Right?!!! Sometimes less is WAY more.
  16. Sylvia

17. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

This performance has greatly contributed to my sanity today. All is not lost. ;) :saint:

(Never thought I'd say this, but just please, Johnny, shut up and skate)
  18. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Looks like Johnny was channeling equal parts Oksana Baiul and Toller Cranston when he dreamed up his new program. I'm happy to see him get attention for this on-ice work.
  19. taylorfax

taylorfax New Member

20. REO

REO New Member

Day-um! Thanks for posting that puppy.
  21. igniculus

22. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clip!

Pretty, little number although not very original...:rolleyes:. The arena is small which fits into Weir´s slow and powerless skating. It seemed to me that he did not use the ice coverage well, stayed in the center ice almost all the time. The costume was a pleasant surprise.
  23. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I have to agree with it not being original enough. While lovely, they're all moves he's done before, and he's not pushing himself artistically. I think we were all just relieved to see this after the disaster that was the Bad Romance number. :yikes:

As far as the lack of power, I don't think this was meant to be powerful but more fluid and subtle. I agree that he lacks power and speed in some of his competitive programs, but his style works here.
  24. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Weir didn't use the ice much because the Ice is small and he doesn't know how to skate on the small surface yet. It takes a while to understand how to spread the elements out and work the space to fully utilizes it. He doesn't have great speed and that will hurt him on elements (but over all help) on the small surfaces until he has spent time training them to work on small ice.

Any way I think this was a lovely piece. I don't think it was choreographed-more like put together but it's the Johnny I love to watch.
  25. igniculus

Imho, if he'd have this as a competitive program, he could easily win the judges favor with the artistry portrayed.
  26. dr.frog

dr.frog Well-Known Member

:confused: The Chelsea Piers rink, where this show took place, is a full-sized ice surface.
  27. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this one. :)

:) I couldn't call this powerless and slow, considering the music piece he is using :shuffle:.It was very well interpreted and graciously done .
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  28. taylorfax

taylorfax New Member

Read some live reviews of it, bb. ;)
  29. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

It's full size?? It looks tiny in the video...:shuffle:
  30. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I've been to many of the shows there. It is not full-sized. Most top tier skaters I've seen have trouble skating full-out there. The jumps take the biggest "hit" and usually are reduced to doubles. It has hockey-style barriers which I've never liked. I wish they could come down for exhibitions.

I've always felt that Johnny does have power esp. in his stroking and deep edges to get from one end of the rink to the other. I think his lack of freneticism that is so popular today makes him look like what he is doing is easy. It's not and most skaters can't do it. His stroking and power remind me alot of Brian Boitano's, though they have totally different personal styles.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  31. dr.frog

OK, found the actual data. Per the announcement for last year's Mid-Atlantics

http://www.thescny.org/pdf/midsapp2009.pdf

the rink dimensions are 185'x85', which is a little shorter than "regulation" NHL-size (200x85), but the same size as (say) the Ice Castle rink and many other rinks where elite skaters train. I'm pretty sure that the Skating Club of Boston rink is even shorter than that, 183' or something like that. Any elite skater of Weir's caliber and seniority ought to be well-accustomed by now to adjusting to a rink that size, especially for a show program. And, FWIW, Weir's home rink in Wayne NJ has two NHL-sized surfaces, not a bigger Olympic-sized surface. And this is far from the first time Weir has skated at Chelsea Piers, too.

The hockey glass is up because they *do* play hockey there, pretty much constantly. After the show is over they typically have about 15 minutes to take down the drapes and clear out of the rink before the next hockey rental starts.
  32. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

No it's not. It's short. Most rinks are reg. hockey. Some, if we're lucky are Olympic. Chelsea Piers is also a strange rink to practice on, because of the sky lights and the windows overlooking the water (and moving cruise ships). "Hockey" boards are not a bad thing. Most skaters train with them. When they are not there, the skaters have to find other visual perimeters to use. I have seen many a skater, skate right off the ice at SC of B and PSC&HS. :lol:
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  33. dr.frog

"SC of B"? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scob.jpg
  34. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

You're right, don't know what I was thinking. I know that PSC&HS was designed from SCoB (or vice versa). I had it in my head there were no boards there. Now that I think of it, the mishaps there were board collisions. Sorry :). But the skating off the ice at PSC&HS really did happen :lol:. Honest!