Ice, Sweat & Tears - CBC TV - March 7th

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by WildRose, Mar 1, 2013.

1. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

CBC is airing a new skating documentary on Thursday, March 7 at 9:00 p.m. (9:30 NT): http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/ice-sweat-and-tears.html

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

A review of the documentary:.http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entert...tary Sweat Tears room soar/8054878/story.html
    ETA another review: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...follows-ice-dreamers-ice-drama-195505381.html

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Fort

Fort New Member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'll read the reviews after I've watched the doc. It's not like I'm going to let reviews persuade me it isn't worth watching!

BTW, it repeats on CBC Newsworld on Saturday & Sunday, several times.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  5. yukisnowflake

yukisnowflake Active Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03/07/welcome-to-figure-skating-101/
    Globe and Mail review titled "An inside look at the bizarre, intense world of elite figure skating": http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...world-of-elite-figure-skating/article9382282/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

What makes skating fans "an interesting breed" as compared to other obsessive sports fans? I don't understand his statement.

8. yukisnowflake

yukisnowflake Active Member

I took it to mean we are unique ( in a good way).

9. momnatur

momnatur Member

I just hope that someone can capture it for us non-canadiens. please.

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Americans who live along the border have access to CBC.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I'd love to hear some impressions of this documentary from those who watch! :)

12. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

A PVR Taping Tip: in order to find and record this, I had to search for the program name (Doc Zone) -- it didn't show up when I searched for "Ice Sweat and Tears".

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting from elsewhere:
    FSU is listed under "Resources and Links": http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/ice-sweat-and-tears.html

14. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

nm

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

This is what I learned:

1) Figure skating is, like, hard to do;
    2) It's better to be the hunter than the hunted;
    3) OMG, figure skating is really hard;
    4) Marina Zoueva is a fun coach;
    5) OMG, FIGURE SKATING IS SO HARD!!!

Honestly, if I ever hear some poster suggest that figure skating can increase its popularity by showing HOW HARD it is, I'm going to scream.

In terms of pre-Olympic skating documentaries, I preferred the one the CBC did before 2006 where they followed Buttle and Leslie Hawker.

I am always a sucker for backstage scenes. I wonder if Kevin and Jeremy's reaction were less "OMG, those scores are so high--Patrick is awesome!" and more "Those high scores are Bull!@^*&!"

16. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I enjoyed it for the most part. I think they missed the mark in not talking to a few more of the skaters, especially at the high performance camp. I also think they did not give enough info to the casual fan on just how many hours of training a week and the types of training these skaters do. Instead of saying it is hard & takes lots of work, show what they actually do.
    I also could have done without the re-airing of the Dube/Davison accident footage and the Salt Lake judging scandal.
    I do hope it HAS peaked the interest of some folks out there who maybe don't take skating all that seriously and who will maybe consider watching some of Worlds next week when it airs. New fans for the sport can only be a good thing.

17. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Given that it was a quick one hour snapshot of the sport I thought it was really well done. It was a fairly accurate portrayal of figure skating and I'd imagine for those that don't know much about the sport it would be enlightening.

18. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I thought an hour was too short. I guess because of the time allotment and the need for commercials they did a fine job with it, would have to ask a non skating fan to be sure. For a skating fan I could have done with a lot more and might have edited it slightly different.

19. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Presumably the timing was chosen to increase interest in Worlds on CBC next week. Unfortunately, it was obvious to anyone "in the know" that quite a bit of the filming was done more than a year ago. There were references to the 2011 Canadian championships in Moncton and Kristy Krall was featured as Patrick's coach, even showing them playing cards while waiting for his turn to skate. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Some of the fans were familiar "characters" who have been commented upon on FSU from time to time. One fan said that her then-future husband was all set to propose to her back in 1988 but she was too caught up in the battle between the Brians at the Olympics to pay attention and he had to wait until the next day :D

20. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Living in a US boarder town, I'm lucky to get CBC and was able to watch ice, sweat and tears. I wasn't overly impressed. Maybe it's because as noted above..an hour didn't seem long enough. Also, as mentioned above, I didn't find it really captured the amount of actual training time (20 hrs a week etc..). I don't know - it just seemed to skim the surface and not really get into the nitty gritty. I find the Zoueva camp fascinating and would have loved to see and hear more about the training dynamic of Virtue/Moir and Davis/White. There were some interesting comments made..but they never delved deeper into how that situation actually works. From what I saw, it looks like the teams maybe do stroking exercises/drills and runthroughs as a group - but when it comes to lesson/coaching time..it appeared that Virtue/Moir and Davis/White are coached separately and alone on private ice.
    I did enjoy Lawrence/Swiegers and find them just charming. Lawrence is a gem. Would have loved to see more of them...
    I also enjoyed Patrick Chan and seeing the relationship with Krall / hearing her insights and philosophies. It actually made me feel like parting ways with Krall wasn't the best way to go for Patrick - she seemed really good for him.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

22. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I really enjoyed the documentary, though I agree it would have been nice if it was longer and a bit more in depth.

I especially enjoyed the back stage footage of the skaters with their coaches. As a skating parent, I thought I knew a fair bit about skating, but that's an area I've never been exposed to. The glimpses of Patrick playing cards with Kristy Krall and her telling him a joke, after his comments that as a singles skater he sometimes gets too much into his head, were very endearing.

I have met Paige and Rudi in person a few times and think they're great kids, and this documentary only cemented that for me. Paige's comments after their skate in Moncton were about on par with what I've seen of skaters I know. They tend to be very hard on themselves. Third in Canada is nothing to sneeze at. I hope in the long run they're very proud of themselves!

It was quite interesting to see the contrast between training alongside your closest rivals and training in isolation. The inside look at the Zoueva camp was fascinating. I've always thought it would be fun to go watch one of their sessions. Thanks to this show, I was able to do it from the comfort of my home!

I definitely think it's worth a watch. I actually watched it twice! :)

23. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

I wasn't particularly impressed. Perhaps since I don't feel like I learned anything new about the skaters or the sport that I didn't already know, perhaps because most of it was from over a year ago with only a hasty reference to Patrick's split with Kristy. Mostly probably because I don't think I was the target audience - at least I hope I wasn't. I hope it was aimed at the casual or the potential fan.

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

It was actually quite boring. And dated. Shot at the high performance camp two summers ago. CBC must not have thought much about the footage if they sat on it. Production budget was clearly quite low, too because they didn't follow any skaters around. Shot it around a camp which was either in Toronto or Vancouver and then some DSC. Too bad all the shots of fans are female. Just reinforces stereotypes. Skate Canada should have gotten more involved in creative direction because this could have doubled as a great marketing tool for them.

Overall though it was too over the map. I would have made the whole point to be about how tough the sport is in an effort to broaden the audience beyond middle aged women. Paint these skaters as athletes. Show more of their training regimen and types of injuries. Don't go off tangent and get into the scoring system, but maybe only talk about it in the context of things like levels that are related to upping the difficulty and pushing boundaries, etc.
    Producers just weren't clear on what they wanted this thing to be.

25. momnatur

momnatur Member

Thank you for posting the links. I found the documentary interesting, but not terribly enlightening. However, I was glad I got a chance to see it.

26. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Interview with the filmmakers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYphKgNy5LE&feature=youtu.be

Overall I enjoyed the show, but found it a bit choppy as Rock2 pointed out. Possibly the choppiness is due to Holmes being a devoted skating fan while McNamara is not? In particular, I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at what goes on at the High Performance camp.

No big secret, I totally adore these two. :) They did a fair bit of filming with them at nats last year that I don’t recall being shown, so I gather a lot of the footage ended up on the cutting room floor. My love and respect for Paige continues to grow – “by we he means me”. :( She is so very hard on herself. And very brave as well. My hat is off to her for even being willing to try the 3twist again after suffering a concussion when Rudi fell and missed the catch. :yikes: Pair girls are incredibly tough athletes.

27. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I was upset to learn about Paige's concussion, and that she was allowed to skate so soon afterwards. IMO it should have been her doctor's decision to make, not hers. Perhaps their poor showing in the past year is related to the fact that she did not allow enough time for her brain to heal after the concussion.

I did enjoy seeing other skaters at the 2011 Canadians, that was a treat. Patrick and V/M are such media pros that they would never give anything away, and the doc didn't really attempt to probe very much.
    Still, if it gave new fans an insight into the world of competitive skating, so much the better.

And yes, I think Patrick was well off with KKrall. I will watch him at World with great trepidation.

28. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I was screaming at the TV when Paige said she skated anyway! I'm only 27 and because of multiple concussions I didn't take care of as a child/teen (3 from skating) I'm having major, probably permanent issues. Not worth it.

29. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

When they mentioned the concussion, I was thinking of Natasha Richardson (she played the mother in the Lindsay Lohan movie, The Parent Trap). She suffered a concussion after falling during a ski lesson at Mont Tremblant/Quebec, while her husband Liam Neeson was filming in the Toronto area. At first she didn't want to see a doctor, and ended up in a coma and death.

My Niece suffered a concussion during a rugby game. Her team coach noticed something was wrong, and stopped the game. She was sent home with her mom, who took her to the hospital for an examination.

Athletes train most of their lives to compete, and will push themselves beyond what normal people would tolerate. Unfortunately, they may at times ignore risks for the sake of competition. This ties into the recent discussions about rules concerning the necessity to stop competitions when there is a risk of injury. If there is danger, will the athletes continue to push on despite the risks?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member