'ICE' ISU Open Pro-Am series planned for 2012 (Scott Hamilton's brainchild)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From ISU Communication no. 1671 (dated April 19, 2011):
    I just came across what looks like an official site for this project: http://icechampionship.com/
    http://icechampionships.blogspot.com/p/about-us.html

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I love the idea of "cash bonuses for landing technically-difficult jumps."

I just hope that the invitations are not skewed towards SOI skaters, as Scott is in charge of both ICE and SOI. I'd love to see Johnny Weir doing this but I'm not sure that SOI/Scott will send an invite (or that Johnny would accept).

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am all for bringing back the professional circuit in some way. With Scott being in charge I fear it will become nothing more than a huge promotional tool for SOI and all the professional skaters, and most of the amateur skaters, will be on his tour. I hope they will branch out and bring in many skaters, not just those on SOI.

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Dare we Kwan fans get a flicker of hope? Maybe an exhibition? Something? Anything? Come on Scott. Offer her enough money she can't refuse. We just want to see that missing LP just once.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am all for Kwan doing something like this. However, I don't think that LP will ever surface. She will just create new programs and the format will probably be like other professional or pro-am events where we have a technical and an artistic program. I doubt we see any true competition style LP's.

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Kwan Fans must be treated to the never-seen 2006 Olympics Bells of Moscow LP! (Same music as Mao Asada used for her LP last season!)

7. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

I wonder if there are any length and format rules? It seems to me like it's exhibition vs. SP (SD) and LP (FD).

8. rfisher

But, we really don't care do we? She could skate to the ABC song and we'd do the happy dance. :lol:

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  9. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I love the idea of Pro-am competitions.

I'm thrilled for the use of contemporary music.

I'm just leery of Hamilton having control. Is he the bigot he's reputed to be? If so, he needs to step back and let those more reasonable and appropriate determine the invited skaters.

If he is not a bigot, then more power to him.

I hope it doesn't turn into a vehicle for SOI skaters only.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here are a few select posts from the original discussion that originated here in April with the publication of the ISU Communication:

11. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

In theory, it sounds like a great idea. And I am one of those who would love to see the Kween skate again. :)

But in reality, I imagine most current eligible skaters on that list wouldn't want to do it b/c of the travel and demands of creating and practicing a new program along with their comp programs. There's no time frame given but if the comps can't conflict with GPs/JGPs/Senior B's or any nat'l champs, this would have to occur between April and September. So it would likely be skaters who are retired from comp, but would those skaters want to compete again (and do they have the time)? Scott would probably be able to attract entrants, but as others have pointed out, would they all be SOI and IMG skaters.

It will be interesting to see if this actually comes together. But in order for people to watch it, it will need a large geographic representation (not just U.S. and Canadian skaters) and the judging will have to make sense to the masses. And the programs will need to look like the skaters actually practiced them.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm happy that an attempt is being made to revive Pro skating - and to provide opportunities to see skating on television - even if they are spearheaded by Scott Hamilton.

13. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the interest will depend on the judging system used.

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm really excited for this.. I loved the pro-am events around 1999-2000!! I hope it can work.

15. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

If IJS would be used for judging, ineligible skaters won't have a prayer againts eligible skaters.

16. skfan

skfan Member

let's see how much camera time these 'contemporary' bands will mug away from the skaters. can you imagine korean fans tolerating the camera cutting away from yeonah's ina bauer in order to zoom in on some aging rock star? unless of course SBS and MBC had their own camera people, not subject to the contract speedy and speedy's minions signed with the 'contemporary' bands.

if scott and co. decide on the band, that limits what music the skaters are able to choose. that's another thing i find questionable about the format.

even if these contemporary bands weren't 'live' and the camera stayed on the skater, there still would be constriction of the skaters' artistic freedom in the choice of music. i hope countries like japan and canada where skating still thrives will provide skaters like joannie and daisuke (when he's ready to quit amateur competitions) with more alluring opportunities than this, to be honest.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Michelle has moved on to a new phase in life and is doing work which is more important in the grand scheme of things than figure skating. Her fans should applaud her for that.

And Michelle is already a wealthy woman. If more wealth was her motivation, she'd did be doing all she could to milk her fame, like some other retired skaters. That she isn't is another things her fans should applaud her for.

18. smartblade

smartblade New Member

Four Continents and Europeans are classified as ISU championships. So the skaters such as the Kerr's and Sarah Meier can be eligible...there are more i'm sure i've missed but just listed recently retired skaters.

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

KATY TAYLOR!!!

20. smartblade

smartblade New Member

opps i read it wrong it says only worlds...however they should extend it to ISU championships... i'm sure that will allow for more eligible fan favourites such as Drobiazko and Vanagas, and still amateur eligible skaters such as amodio, pechalat/bourzat, kiira korpi, and verner.

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

As much as I'd love to see the Kween skate, I suspect her attention will be on her new career whatever she chooses and that she wouldn't want to compete if she didn't have the time to train properly.

But kudos to Scott for trying to revive pro skating competitions, as nobody else seems to have an interest (or thinks it could be financially feasilbe) and I'd love to see some of the potential skaters listed above compete again.

22. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Even if it is only SOI, I would rather these events to see than none at all.

Only drawback: 10-year rule means no Boitano :(

BTW, count me among what seems to be uncommon on this board: people who admire and are grateful to Scott Hamilton for all that he has done for the sport (and that includes announcing.)

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

This could be interesting if it's done right...or a disaster if it's not. I'm curious to see how it's ultimately implemented.

The format doesn't seem to be crystal clear to me. Is it a tournament-style competition with skaters placed into brackets?

24. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

The music idea sounds awful. I'm not Sure that Scott should have and imput re music. :eek: I suppose one could watch with the sound turned off. :confused:

25. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I interpret the phrase "contemporary music" to mean skaters can use anything they want including music with vocals.

I'm not sure where it says that Scott will choose the music or there will be live bands. Did I miss something? :confused:

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:)

27. rfisher

:lol: I know what MK is doing and I didn't really expect her to participate in this venture if it should take place.

28. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

:respec:

29. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Sounds essentially like a cheesefest. If the ISU sanctions it for eligible skaters, would they not have to use IJS? Otherwise, you lose your eligibility (if they use 6.0 or some 10-point scale or something). I fear "innovative" means fan call-in scoring. . .

30. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

My 2¢:
    1. I hope Johnny gets an invite! He is such a fan favorite. And I think someone like Johnny participating would bring in a TV audience.
    2. Does NBC have the US version of the ISU network contract? I pray that they either a) play the event in its entirety or b) sell it to someone who will.
    3. I hope the Scott Hamilton music thing is just a rumor! I never like those events centered around specific musicians because it's very limiting to have one choice only.
    4. Scoring system-can the ISU make an exception and use a 10-point system? I don't think IJS will work, I don't know if 6.0 will make sense to a younger audience (ok, it doesn't to me, but maybe I'm the only one. I'm 17, so by the time I was old enough to figure out how the scoring worked, it was IJS). Plus, I don't know that all of the deductions will help-I think a ten-point system which rewards the positive elements will be the best choice. Plus, a TES and a PCS will just get complex.