Ice Dancer Anastasia Galyeta suspended 18 months by ISU due to anti-doping violation

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This decision of the ISU Disciplinary Commission was published on May 21, 2012 as ISU Communication 1731 (PDF link): http://t.co/NXNyQfKr

Excerpts:
    ETA: Yuri Larionov (of Bazarova/Larionov) was also suspended after testing positive for Furosemide at the 2007 JGP Final. He was originally suspended for 2 years by the ISU and the Russian federation later filed a successful petition to have his sentence reduced to 18 months.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Seems a very severe punishment for taking a diuretic.

3. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

The problem is more the fact that furosemide can be used as a masking agent for serious doping substances, therefore the sentence it carries is harsh.

4. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

It's considered a masking agent for other drugs.

ETA: Eislauffan beat me to it

5. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Would she be taking a diuretic to lose weight? Are diureticts masking asgents for other drugs?
    I saw her skate in Quebec and she impressed me, but felt she could have a much stronger partner.

6. Eislauffan

According to the ISU document she claimed to have taken the furosemide containing medication because of a swollen face and excess weight.

Back then in the Larionov case it was also suspected that he took it in order to loose weight but he claimed he took it inadvertently because it was in a pill he took against a severe headache.

7. Eislauffan

She is 19 years old and should know better than taking a medication without checking what it contains. At least she should have consulted the team doctor.
    I think that's it for her and Alexei Shumski now.

8. Bogie

Bogie Active Member

Does anyone know the types of drugs that furosemide masks?

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Agreed. Stupid mistake on her part, unfortunately. Even a quick Google search would likely show that furosemide is banned, but you still don't take something without consulting the team doctor (not a pharmacist who may be misinformed).

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

No sympathy here either...she's 19, she's a big girl now, and any athlete at that level should absolutely know about the drug regulations. At the very least, common sense would dictate that you at least ask the team doctor.

I've heard every excuse under the sun, including the oft-used "I didn't know it was in the tablet"...well if you didn't know what was in the tablet, why on earth did you take it?

Sad for her partner though.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

IIRC, I saw Galyeta's name listed on icepartnersearch.com not long after the JGP Final in December 2011 - perhaps that was when she was notified by the ISU that she had tested positive?

12. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

She's from Ukraine. "A quick google search" presumes that she speaks English well enough and that she has regular access to the internet; I know many a 19 year old female Ukrainian who would be likely to make the same mistake. It's IMO no coincidence that the country has such a high rate of athletes getting caught for doping offences.
    When you're raised in a country where the law isn't really the law and there's always a $$ way around it, you just don't have the same perception of things. Ask the member of the olympic committee who recently got caught by the BBC trying to sell his tickets on the black market. I'm quite sure he didn't have the sense he was doing anything that bad either.
    And by the way... the perception that Ukraine has a team doctor is rather, well, westernized. I'm sure there are some they can go to who take $$ to sign the medical certificates they require and who are willing to offer medical assistance in case of need . Not one who is obssessed with ensuring the athletes are following the doping regulations.

13. Eislauffan

The Ukraine has team doctors that are travelling to international competitions with the skaters and for sure can be consulted outside the competitions as well. Also, one of the ISU medical advisors is from the Ukraine (he used to be team doctor as well before he was promoted to medical advisor).

As an athlete that competed at the international level for several years, Anastasia Galyeta is aware of anti-doping controls etc.

But I feel sorry for her. She made a stupid and costly mistake.

14. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

lasix / furosemide will attempt to mask any drug filtered through the kidneys, and will cause people to lose any excess water weight (think CHF patients with "wet" sounding lungs or massive swelling in their feet/legs). It is also used (in combo with other drugs) to kick start kidneys (aka urine production) that are in early kidney failure.

As a MD, I cannot think of any reason why a healthy 19-year old athlete would be taking this medication. Ever.

15. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Not to be pedantic, but it's Ukraine, not The Ukraine. "The Ukraine" is considered offensive to some Ukrainians because it implies colonialism to Russia. Ukrainians are often very independent-minded so that's a hot button issue.

16. Bogie

Bogie Active Member

Thank you, I was puzzling over why such a young person would be taking something like this when there are natural ways of reducing water weight. I knew there would be a medical professional here! :)

17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

When skaters and RSG girls get caught for this particular drug, I think it's because they are using it to lose weight, which - while still cheating - isn't really the infraction that this rule is intended to catch.

So it's a shame, because her career is going to be short anyway.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

There are other things that can be used to lose weight. Any elite athlete should know never to injest ANYTHING without checking it against the banned list.

I was reading recently about a swimmer (?) that has a lawsuit pending against a drug company because a vitamin she took had a banned substance in it, and it wasn't listed by the company.

Doping/Doping control is serious business.

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

That's a 17-month ban, though in effect it's the same thing as she is out for the season. But if she's looking for a new partner, she's likely out for the season anyway.

Taking medications without clearing it with anyone official is a really stupid mistake to make. Since when are pharmacists up to date regarding the list of banned substances?

That said, and not specifically regarding this case, I'm concerned about athletes having to compete while sick because so many medications or on the banned substance list.

20. vexlak

vexlak Member

Agreed that she should have known. However this is not cycling competition where they take it to enhance endurance. She may have tried to lose weight the stupid way and some MD may have helped...
    I am opposing any doping however I still see it as a harsh punishment for a first time offender.

21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Please, don't forget that not everyone's first language is English. In my native language we don't have articles. No 'a', 'an' or 'the'; none at all. I am not sure what country the poster who wrote 'the Ukraine' is, but from my experience I can say that people whose first language don't use any articles can have problems not knowing when to use them. They tend to not to use them when the article clearly should be in, or compensate and use them far too much (put it somewhere where it shouldn't be). I am sure the writer did not want to be offensive.

22. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Which also means if she switched countries she would have sat out anyway.

23. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

She may have a lot more to fear than just a 17 month ban.
    WADA Code To Ban Cheats From Games

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Not really:
    Even if this were an issue for 2018, the events as described in the ISU communication do not strike me as a "serious doping case" (that's pretty vague language; I am sure they will have to be more specific). This is why I don't like language like "drug cheats"; Galyeta made a stupid decision, and she'll be disciplined for it, but she didn't engage in any cheating.

25. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

The only way to curb doping is to be extremely strict IMHO. There should no doubt that it is a bad idea to take banned substances.

26. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

18 months is too much, I hope it gets reduced too

27. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not to be pedantic, but although Eislauffan speaks English fluently, it isn't her first language.

It's also highly presumptuous of countries whose official language isn't English to tell English-speakers what name to give them in English. Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire can call themselves Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire as much as they please, but some people are still going to call them Burma and Ivory Coast.

Deal with it.

:2faced:

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't need to deal with it, it wasn't me who wrote 'the Ukraine'. :rolleyes:
    I am just trying to explain the the writer very likely did not mean any offence - it's the grammar that might be causing difficulties.

English might not be the native language for Eislauffan, but I think (from the user name) that her first language is German and there are articles in German language, so it would be natural for her to use them in English. However, the use of the articles in her language might be different than the use of the articles in English so it can be difficult even for her to use them. (Originally I was speaking about people who don't have any articles at all in their language. For us it can be quite hit and miss when we are trying to use them. (sometimes more and sometimes less successfully).

triple_toe, I do wonder how many languages you speak if you are so critical to grammar mistakes of other people speaking by their non native language.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  29. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I always thought it was highly presumptuous to decide that you should call a country or a people something other than what they request to be called just because it's hard for you to say the name of the country.

30. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Pretty much only ignorant assholes will.

Do you honestly not see how condescending your stance is? Or are you just pulling our collective leg?