Ice Dance 2005

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by nuge, Jun 17, 2012.

1. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Watched some old tapes yesterday ' although it doesn't seem that long ago from 2005 FDS and ODS :)

Grushgons had some nice programmes this year .Four Seasons FD probably the FD I liked the most from them .It had nice light and shade some good Morozov choreo and had everything you ever want in a FD ES commentators said :D
    Their Charleston OD was great too .Their ODS were always better IMO.

K/Novikov :eek: Watching now it was like a train wreck :shuffle:Very untidy sloppy and their moves in closed holds were poor .Very exciting though :lol:
    They were dressed in red/black but can't remember the music now :eek:It was all very frantic.Anyone know why they split ?

Fraser/Lukanin unforgettable :lol:

Dom/Shabalin FD Fifth Element .Nice programme lovely pink costumes.Very nice OD Quickstep too.

Delshoes Absolutely beautiful FD to Frida :kickass:
    Third in FD but as usual fourth overall :(
    Charleston OD really good.

B/A Shadritsa FD liked it a lot one of my favs of theirs:)

Denstas Nice OD but Toy Story what were they thinking ?:shuffle:
    They said they'd written the year off after CDS as Albena had been recovering from bronchitis and they'd lost training time :(
    FD Bach to Africa which for some reason wasn't popular with fans :confused:I really enjoyed it a lot :shuffle:

N/K FD to Tosca

Any more memories ?
  2. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Pretty much says it all. :lol:

Delobel and Schoenfelder should have won the FD that year and been no lower than 2nd overall. :mad:
  3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think Frida was DelSchoe's best FD.

There were also too many couples with D&S as their initials. It meant to you had to type more to explain who you were talking about.
  4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree Tosca was pretty bad... Mainly because of a distinct absence of a certain article of clothing that goes around Tatiana's head...
    But I remember them saying that the original Tosca was much more artistic but had to be reworked so they could get their levels.
  5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Kulikova/Novikov.. that's a team I haven't seen discussed in awhile.. I actually forgot their existence until a few months ago when I watched a video of them on youtube. They WERE pretty frantic, not anywhere near any of the best Russian teams.
  6. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

This is what I thought .They were so scruffy looking too:lol:
    When we talk about V/M skating beautiful edges flow etc on a scale with K/N V/M would be one end and K/N the exact opposite end :shuffle:
    Did they only compete that season ? They must have been third ranked after N/K and D/S .Did K/Novitski take over third the next season ?
  7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think K-N split up after 2004-2005 season. And yes, Kh-N were Russian third team at OG in Torino OG.
  8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Wasn't Novikov the Russian Truckie Ice Dancer?
  9. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Novikov was with Orlova the 2005-2006 season. It was not an improvement, skating-wise.
  10. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

That's right :lol:

Another thing I noticed if anyone has the tape of the ODS.In the knc with N/K after their scores it shows a woman in the audience with a little girl waving .The girl is maybe Navka's daughter Anyone know if it was ? Just the way Navka was looking at the monitor. .
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  11. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Well I'll answer my own question :eek::lol:
    After seeing the photos of Navka's daughter on the other thread I reckon it was her :)
  12. weirfan06

weirfan06 New Member

I know this thread is pretty old but it kind of made me laugh. "Truckie?" Like... truck driver? Aww. Well he didn't start skating till he was like 16, so I think he did ok for himself :)
  13. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

So funny reading my old post :lol:
    Wonder what K/N ovikov are doing now.?
    They were the exact opposite of beautiful graceful V/M :scream:
    Remembering Delshoe's Frida :swoon:
  14. weirfan06

weirfan06 New Member

As of US Nationals in January Vitaliy was coaching in Southern California somewhere. He had a junior team from LA at the competition. They also came to a couple of competitions up here in Northern California.

No clue about Kulikova. Maybe she managed to find a non-coaching job after retirement?
  15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

DenStas Bach to Africa was horrible. I think it had some promise earlier, but by Worlds their execution and polish was shot to hell and a lot of the choreography was laughable to say the least.

Navka/Kostomorov had their most boring FD ever (even more boring than Carmen) and were just going from element to element.

Grushons were not as bad as usual, and they performed their footwork cleanly. But there was nothing interesting about their FD. It was almost as generic as Navka/Kostomorov except without the Navka's line.

It seems like all of the teams outside DelSchoes and Belbin/Agosto had major execution problems with their elements (especially entering and/or exiting lifts and twizzles).

After watching 2005 Worlds, it's easy to see how Belbin/Agosto shot up. They performed their dance excellently, didn't leave much room for deductions in their elements, and performed with speed and energy. Something most of the top teams were lacking. DelSchoes should have won the FD by a big margin. Frida is one of their best FDs and probably my second fave competitive routine by them (with The Piano being first).
  16. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree DelSchoes should have easily won the FD that year. To be only 3rd in the FD was a complete sham. It is too bad their CD and OD werent any good at those worlds. I disagree they deserved atleast 2nd, they only deserved 3rd as they would be too far behind N&K and B&A in the other programs anyway. They should have passed GrushGons by their FD alone though.

This is one year Denkova & Stayviski cant blame the judging for their placements, other than maybe their most delirious fans for whom they can do no wrong. It was a shame how their skating and free dance especialy withered as the season went along. At NHK it looked impressive with room to grow.
  17. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Nothing is fair and square in Ice dance .If it was fair Del Shoes should have been on the very top.Their Frida was great to watch and i stop here and leave the technicality and judgment to the rest. DenSta tried to go out of the squared box and be more original with recycled program(Petukhov did something similar for DomShabs in 2003 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpTWcQyaF1w ), different music and new lifts and those "delirious fans" must,ve been very convincing like all other top figure skater's fans. :)
  18. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Is there a link to this performance I would like to see it earlier in the year ?
  19. irinayunafanatc

irinayunafanatc Member

I thought Belbin & Agosto should have won those worlds, and usually I find them a very overrated and overmarked team. However they skated very well in all phases at those worlds, their FD was much better than Navka & Kostomarov, and their other dances were at worst slightly behind only. Delobel & Schoenfelder had the best FD, but not good enough in the other dances to win. Denkova & Stayviski sucked this year, and their placement was right, yes even behind Grushina & Goncharov. The results should have been:

1. Belbin & Agosto (although probably not winning any individual dance)
    2. Navka & Kostomarov or Delobel & Schoenfelder
    4. Grushina & Goncharov
    5. Dubreuil & Lauzon
    6. Denkova & Stayviski