Ice Chips (Skating Club of Boston) April 2-3, 2011

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Feb 11, 2011.

1. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

OMG, totally going. Will there be a second special guest too? Last year was Davis/White and Ryan Bradley, right?

3. icecat

icecat Active Member

Still working on the confirmation, but rest assured Castilli /Snapir and Ross Miner,Yasmine Siraj and Donlan/Speroff all skate at SCOB so will undoubtedly be in the lineup. Always an awesome show!

4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I'll be there! The Skating Club of Boston always has a great lineup of skaters!

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  5. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Definitely going to go. I have wanted to see S/Z live since they rocked the house at the World Championships in Washington, DC.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Too bad we don't live closer to Boston, and that NJ SOI conflicts with the Ice Chip date 4/2). Would love to go to both!

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Will be there, unless they have it on the same day as SOI like last year :-/ Although I have to say that I prefer the Ice Chips show to SOI (they are the only live fs shows I watch). Ice Chips is in a smaller arena so it feels more intimate and you get a better view of the skaters.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Bump up since the show is getting closer. :)

9. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I have never seen S/Z live, totally excited.

I was told that Saturday matinee was sold out. Not sure about the rest, but if you want to go, I would buy tickets now.

I have gone for over ten years, it's always great no matter who the headliners are. Very nostalgic (though it was before my time, ice carnivals ae so cool).

Only thing I've got to say, I wish Ross was NOT in the show, I wish he was a Worlds somewhere that weekend!

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I agree with Bonita--I kind of hope Ross is busy that weekend at Worlds.

11. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I just ordered tickets this afternoon. No shows are sold out, plenty left for all shows.
    Can't wait to see S/Z.

12. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Did you order your tickets on line from Ice Chips?

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

You lucky New Englanders.

14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I tried online and the site was down, tried to fax, but would not go through. So I called directly and very sweet lady took my order over the phone, since I live 2 hours away. She is the one that said plenty of tickets are still available.

kittyjake5 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

"The Soloists" page is yet to be updated on the site, but this is the list of skaters I've been told:

Ross Miner
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir
    Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff
    Stephen Carriere
    Jason Wong
    Yasmin Siraj
    Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus
    Alison Carey/Ryan Van Natten
    Morgan Sowa/David Leenen
    Kloe Bautista/Tyler Harris
    Keilani-Lyn Rudderham
    Olivia Gibbons
    Brooke Frieling/Lionel Rumi (ISR)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  16. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Oooh, I would love to go, but 1. I'm busy that weekend; 2. don't really trust my car anymore. :/

Btw, is taking pictures allowed? (with a "detachable" lens)

17. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

Yes it is. Daphne from icedance.com is usually at one of the shows taking pictures and posts them on her site.

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  18. snoopysnake

Thanks - "Coming Soon" seems to have been on the page for ages now! I can remember when Ross, Stephen and Jason were all really little kids in Ice Chips. It will be great to have them in the show again.

19. hippychick

hippychick Member

Anyone planning on attending Ice Chips this weekend? Reports and videos would be great.

20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'll be at the Saturday evening show! Will definitely post a report although I don't know if my dinky camera will be any good at taking pics/videos of moving skaters in dim light.

I'm really looking fw to the show. I attended a couple of years ago and enjoyed it immensely, especially all the cute little kids dressed up in costumes :) It didn't hurt that they had Kurt Browning that year either ;)

21. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I went to Ice Chips today and it was fabulous. It's amazing how many talented skaters SCOB has. Only one guest star, but they didn't need any more.

Some highlights:

Shen and Zhao (of course) - The first routine was a little empty of tricks, so I thought they might be injured or out of training. Their second routine was fabulous, typical huge tricks and a huge throw triple which I missed all but the ending of thanks to a big skank who decided to go sit in the front row at that point and stood in the middle of the aisle. Strangely, a lot of people left early. Anyway, they were amazing and absolutely as gorgeous in person as on TV. My first time seeing them live, so I was really excited.

"Born to be Wild" - A bunch of really tiny little boys riding big wheels on the ice and in biker clothes who then got up and skated. One was so little he could barely skate. Everyone was awing and laughing.

The backflip - Though I see him skate every week, I never seen this. Bennett Gotlieb (intermediate) did two backflips in the show. He was skating fast backward and did the posture which says, I'm gonna do a backflip, and I thinking, no way, then he did it. Of course that got a great crowd reaction.

Not a highlight but funny - The obnoxious non-skating people behind me who gasped at everything and said inane things like, I think he's going to jump, I think he's going to lift her. Then the adult number people came out and the woman says, "Wow, they're really old." OMG. I felt like turning around and saying, yeah, lady, us old people can skate.

The SCOB pairs - Donlan and Speroff, Castelli and Shapnir and a pair I can't remember the name of but who did a very dancy number to a song that was similar to a routine on SYTYCD to edgy music. I'm so glad SCOB has pairs again and these teams are great.

Stephen Carriere - He did Mr. Cellphone and got a huge crowd reaction. There was a whole section of girls just screaming. Where is this personality in his competitive programs? He was fabulous and so on the music, great acting and managed to do some nice spins and triple jumps as well while staying in character. And I absolutely hate that song, so if I enjoyed it, that's saying a lot.

Ross Miner - He did a cantilever in one of the group numbers, love it. His jumps seemed a little wonky, hope it was just the spotlights. Otherwise his skating was smooth Ross.

Cannuscio & McManus - Cute hip hop number. They have really improved. He rotates his dance lifts clockwise, which I have never seen in ice dance.

The novice synchro team - Don't know anything about synchro, but I thought they were really strong for a novice team.

The tribute - A really long and teary tribute to the 1961 World Team. Everyone came out in black with lit candles and they showed crash photos, names of the dead (I never realized it wasn't just a jet full of skaters). I don't like crying in public, so I kind of didn't like it much, LOL. I even heard my husband sniffling.

The show was really packed, way more than usual for the first Ice Chips show. And my favorite discovery (my husband thought this was lame that I was so excited) - the ladies room was totally done over, eight or more stalls now instead of four! I can't tell you how many Ice Chips and EWC I have been doing the gotta go dance outside that restroom!

At $20 a ticket, I don't know why this show doesn't sell out every year. A lot cheaper than Stars on Ice, and IMHO way more entertaining!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  22. snoopysnake

I saw Saturday afternoon's show and it was excellent. Kudos to Sheryl Franks for directing a great lineup which included some very good ensemble numbers, especially a tribute to the lost 1961 team and a flag-waving finale with the entire cast. The glee club which sang the National Anthem screamed their heads off whenever Jason Wong, Stephen Carriere, or Ross Miner skated by their end of the ice. Stephen did "Mr. Cellophane" again this year, and really sold it. Jason skated to a GMB, and Ross performed to a cover version of Elton John's "Your Song." It was thrilling to see Shen and Zhao's two numbers, especially their Turandot exhibition. My favorite number of the little kid skaters had several little boys (two of them very little indeed!) dressed in biker gear, skating or riding their "Harleys" (Big Wheel kiddy cars) to "Born to Be Wild." Who knows? Maybe future Olympians?

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report! It sounds like it was a great show. :)

24. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reports. :) Does anyone happen to know if tickets are still available for tomorrow's show?

25. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I would either call SCOB in the morning or the Bright Arena ticket office and check. Normally, Sunday is never sold out, not sure about this year. My first guess would be yes, there are still tickets. Even the "worst" seat in the house there is better than many you'd get at say the TD North (or whatever it is these days, i.e., Boston Garden).

RFOS and (deleted member) like this.
  26. snoopysnake

It's the GAH-den! Wicked cool place!

27. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

RFOS, I just came back from the evening show and there were definitely empty seats. Tickets were being sold at the arena before the show. There were also a couple of people who were trying to sell tickets they'd already bought.

The show had a patriotic theme going on which I thought was a bit cheesy and unnecessary. One group number had a JFK speech and a cardboard rocket being wheeled around the ice while skaters dressed as astronauts whizzed around. The finale was also kind of bad, everyone standing around for five minutes while a huge American flag was brought out and waved. It felt kind of embarrassing to have the freaking Olympic champions (who're not even American) stand around for five minutes waving American flags.

Other than that though, everything was fantastic! The show was packed, with everything from novice skaters to Olympic champions to synchro to adult teams. Definitely great value for money.

My highlight was Cannuscio and McManus who skated to Justin Timberlake. He in particular is very sharp and committed to the choreography.

Ross Miner is TINY! He did a solo to Your Song by Elton John. He's very smooth and landed some nice jumps. Also a super deep cantilever in a group number. I look fw to watching him at the Worlds.

28. Madre

Madre New Member

FYI, for this year's Ice Chips all of the pair teams from SCOB are re-creating show programs from Shen/Zhao as a tribute to them. Coaches of these teams approached Shen/Zhao with the idea, and they were flattered, and apparently have enjoyed watching the teams re-create their numbers. Btw, the team that did the edgy-dancy type number was Kloe Chanel Bautista and Tyler Harris. :)

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  29. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I was at the Saturday afteroon performance and here are my impressions:

- Not that I have seen that many club shows, but the overall level of skating from the littlest kids to the top of the roster was the highest that I've seen.

- The overall choreography and level of attention to detail was pretty amazing. Sheryl Franks really deserves kudos!

- I just love Castelli and Shnapir and their dramatic moves! If only Simon at 6'4" didn't have so much trouble jumping in competitions. They could really be contenders.

- Ross looked a little skittish and tentative. Maybe he was a lot stronger on Saturday evening

- Boy, am I getting spoiled by the quality of American ice dancing! I though that the Israeli team was, on a relative level, terrible. I have to look them up and see who is coaching them.

- Not to start a rumor because I have no information but to a certain degree, it looked like Shen and Zhao sort of phoned in their performance. Would that be due to one or more of the following possibilities?

- They're burned out from long touring season in the states
    - They perceive that a club show is just that, a club show and didn't deserve the fireworks
    - Maybe she's pregnant and taking it easy

I don't want to start a firestorm but am just putting these out for discussion

30. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I was there last nite and agree with much said here.
    I am glad I am not alone in thinking the finale (and theme) was cheesy, and felt for Shen n Zhao standing there w American flags. .?
    I have seen Z n S many times and this was not the best. the rink is cutoff at the end with curtain, chopping several feet of length, impact their speed.
    I always luv the little ones, so adorable and the boys were cute, one had a helmet.
    Nice number with the guys (some from the pairs) to a military theme, about 8 or 10 guys, fun.
    Nice to see pairs and dance, some promising young teams.
    Yasmin Siraj (sp.). Looked good.
    Stephen C was a delight and so was Ross.
    Jason Wong was great too, I think his family was near us.

I was a bit distracted, receiving updates on the uconn mens basketball game and then I noticed my ring was missing it's tanzanite stone. Security at arena was helpful in looking, but still not found. At least the huskies won. I am from ct, after show went yo bar in Cambridge for last part of game, nice to see husky fans ere.