Ice Castle in Lake Arrowhead to close Aug. 30th

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by aemeraldrainc, Aug 23, 2013.

1. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Very sad news. I'm guessing that insurance premiums, including those against forest fires, had gone through the roof. Can't The Kween step up and buy it????

3. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:( What terrible news, especially for families who have moved all they way there to train.

4. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

So many rinks in the USA closing, particularly in the past few years. :( Perhaps someone will step in to by the rink -- if not, I wonder what the building will become. I hope it just doesn't sit dormant until someone does purchase the building/land. :(

I recall looking at curiosity what the rental price was for private booking there - the rate was only $250 an hour and they appear to have a lot of open time (at least in the summer). http://www.icecastle.us/privateice.html . Seems pretty cheap, really, given the cost of ice in general in SoCal. Even in the Midwest that's a steal, and we don't have as nice of facilities in general and our energy costs are much more affordable. Seems they cold have been charging much more, but given it's a smaller resort-type town area, perhaps they would have priced themself out of business with local groups (not necessarily the elite ice skaters). Their freestyle prices were comparable to SoCal rinks, too. I wonder if business was down these past few years, or if it came down to taxes, insurance, weak financial management, etc.

My thoughts are with the coaches, skaters, and their families -- such a tough transition if there isn't another rink in close proximity. Though, long commutes are the norm for those down the mountain in LA/OC/SoCal.

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

So sad, such a part of skating history in the US. I've never been there, but it just sounded like such an idyllic setting for a skating rink.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I envied all the skaters who trained there, when NBC used the rink as a vehicle to promote their coverage for several years.

It's so sad when another part of skating's history is lost.
    What stories the walls could tell!

7. sassybuford

sassybuford New Member

Really sad to hear that. My family and I skated there with Evan Lysacek, and we will always have fond memories of our evening at Lake Arrowhead.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

It is sad to hear such a well known rink closing.

9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Most of the rinks in my area owe their survival to offering hockey as well as figure skating, and even then it's a struggle. Skating rinks are costly to maintain and a facility of that age probably needs renovation.

10. alij

alij Active Member

Awww I spent a great summer at the Ice Castle facility when it was the original building, it is sad to see a rink with such history closing :(

11. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Massive piece of US skating history - what a shame. Things have been hard it seems since the rink burned a few years back. Didn't the Probst's (I think that was the name) own it then had to sell?

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Relevant excerpt from article:

13. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

It is a shame that the USOC doesn't find a sponsor, and give it a national training center designation like it has done with the Colorado Springs World Arena facilities.

http://www.springsgov.com/News.aspx?NewsID=1569

Perhaps some of the USOC major sponsors would look at this as a long term investment? P&G perhaps?

14. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Noooo!!! How sad. That training center seems to be such a beautiful place.
    I always dreamed of stepping on that ice :(
    How come it's closing so suddenly?

15. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

double post, sorry

16. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I skated there in the early 90s. So sad.

17. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I'm so glad we had a chance to skate there. It's a beautiful facility. Not fancy, but skaters feel special on a rink with no boards and a wall of mirrors. We even got to stay in their cabin and had so much fun. I am really sad to see it close. One of my daughter's played hockey at Blue Jay and he and his team were so lost without their rink when it was decided to not rebuild. Skating matters. :(

18. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

So sad one of the US skating historical places is closing. My thoughts are with the skaters, coaches and their families.

I wonder where Ashley, Adam and now Kiira are planniing to train with RA. Hopefully it doesn't disturb their peeking.

19. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Da- yUMMM !

Can't believe i JUST got my tickets to LA in oct. with going there in mind :O

20. Sylvia

21. Sylvia

LA Times article (illustrated with a photo of the Kween and Elena Tcherkasskaia in March 1996): http://www.latimes.com/sports/olymp...s-20130831,0,7410227,full.story#axzz2dUxsc1y8
    Excerpt from the end:

22. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Very sad to see the end of an era. That nobody thought it worthwhile to combine such a beautiful setting with some sort of 'health/spa' retreat or some other potentially sustaining business, is similarly disappointing.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

24. Conga

Conga New Member

It is very sad and are you sure no one thought of this? It's a great idea!

25. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

It is sad but perhaps inevitable. I am not sure that anyone has had the deep enough pockets ($$$) to update the physical plant, most importantly the heating/cooling systems and compressors. Ice making/preserving is an energy intense function and I would guess that Ice Castle has, as many old rinks do, an antiquated energy-gobbling ice plant. The amount of money and time necessary to keep an inefficient model running is clearly not sustainable and no one has come forward to update the mechanism, better insulate an older building, etc. Unfortunately it's all dollars and sense but it's logical.

Will the current owner or a new owner redesign/rethink the site and build something else that capitalizes on the surrounding natural beauty? I would bet on it.