"Ice Age"-The Battle of Stars on Ice

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by vivika1982, Dec 21, 2011.

1. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

On December 22 and 23, not 24 :). Thank you anyway - those are really good news. I knew abou the show, just didn't know how soon the shootings will start. We thought that probably it's going to be sometime next year, so this is a good surprise :)!
  3. vivika1982

Probably it will be broadcasted next year.I like the idea to make Ice Age only with skaters and the switching partners part. "Thin Ice" from last year was similar,interesting and fun to watch:).
  4. vivika1982

Small info after the first shootings

Hosts of the show:
    Alexey Yagudin and Irina Slutskaya

Judges:
    T.Tarasova,E.Tchaikovskaya,A.Sikharulidze,N.Bestemyanova and I.Bobrin

The original pairs:

1. Totmyanina/Marinin
    2. Domnina/Shabalin
    3. Tchernishev/Lang
    4. Drobiazko/Vanagas
    5. Navka/Kostomarov
    6. Lobacheva/Goncharov
    7. Denkova/Staviski
    8. Khokhlova/Novikov
    9. Leonova/Khvalko
    10. Petrova/Tikhonov
  5. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Very cool. I liked "project bolero", but would rather see skaters actually skating. And at least now we know what Khoklova is going to be doing for the next few months
  6. lauravvv

Thank you very much, vivika1982 :). I really waited for some information. I was actually wondering about Yagudin - whether he was going to skate, and with whom. In truth, I think he could have done it. It would have been easier for him to skate with someone who can actually skate, than it was with unprofessional stars, whom he had to carry most of the time :D. But it will be interesting to see him as a host with Slutskaya. Also glad to know that Khokhlova and Novitski (yes, yes, Novitski, not Novikov :D) are taking part. It will be especially interesting to see Khokhlova in such a project. And also Domnina and Lang. But I am quite impatient to find out about the pairings.
  7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Awesome!!! I've been wanting to see something like this for a while. I hope they do another season and add Krylova, Grishuk, Grushina, Anissina, Berezhnaya, Grebenkina, Obertas, Platov, Petukhov, Yagudin (I agree, he could do this), and I'd love to see Averbukh and Zhulin out on the ice too... there's so much potential since they don't have to skate with their original partners.
  8. lauravvv

I doubt that Averbukh will invite skaters who haven't been skating actively for a long time and aren't in good form. They can't just step on ice after years without active skating (or with no skating at all), and again be the great skaters that they were - it doesn't happen that way. Besides, most of them are busy with other things (like Krylova who is actively coaching now). And it's very possible that there won't be another season - Averbukh has said for several times now that he doesn't want to do shows that are not something new anymore, because otherwise he is bored. So, I think that this is probably a conclusion to Averbukh's TV projects - at least for now. Maybe after a few seasons there will some new show.
  9. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Actually, I think it is Novikov, not Novitski....
  10. zotza

zotza Active Member

It is Novikov and not Novitski the one skating with Yana.
    I'm excited that at last we get an all skaters show and that the first show we'll the actual pairs and dance teams.It's going to be like a real ice show.And I'm absolutely in love with TotMar's Sneg.I watched it on Youtube from a show they performed it and it was beautiful.
  11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

All of the skaters I mentioned, except Averbukh, have done reality shows within the past 5 years. Berezhnaya was on Battle of the Blades 2011 and is an excellent shape. Krylova skated in shows in 2010 with Goncharov. Anissina and Grushina have had babies, but then again so has Domnina even more recently.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised seeing the skaters get themselves back in shape for these shows. Anna Semenovich skates well (for exhibition level, not competition level) after years of being a pop singer. Grishuk came back to the ice for DOI in 2006 and was in amazing shape despite not having skated in exhibitions for at least 5 years. Krylova had been off the ice for a long while too. Even Klimova & Ponomarenko did DOI in 2007 after years of retirement.

I don't know what exactly the format of this show will be, but I doubt we'll be seeing twists and jumps from all the pairs or CoP level twizzles and lifts from the ice dancers (thank God)... so IMO skaters who have been able to do exhibitions and skate with celebrities should be able to handle it. I was just listing skaters that I miss and would love to see in this format.... sure, my list was a bit whimsical, but not as completely unrealistic as you imply.

I hope so... I was excited to see his name there... you and I are probably the only ones rooting for the old truck driver. ;)

ETA: Just saw zotza's post... yay. :)
    Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  12. zotza

zotza Active Member

We're actually three :pTime to spread the Novikov love
    Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Whee :cheer2:
  14. vivika1982

Don't forget with whom he is skating :p La Khokh forever :)
  15. lauravvv

You mean Vitali Novikov? I thought it was Novitski, since he took part in the last year's 'Ice and Fire' show (although he left it early). It means that two of the "original pairs" are actually just formal pairings - Lobacheva/Goncharov and Khokhlova/Novikov, as they haven't been skating together originally.
  16. lauravvv

I know about Berezhnaya - I didn't mean her specifically. And I also know that Krylova has been skating recently and is in good shape - but she is too busy now for such a long show. Anna Semenovich has still been skating regularly in 'Ice Age' and 'Ice and Fire' shows, so she is okay. But I am not sure about the other skaters, because I don't know how much practice they have had in the recent years.
  17. vivika1982

Being a new mom never was a problem for figure skaters so Anissina,Grebenkina or Grushina may take a part in the next show/ hopefuly this won't be the last and only show of this kind/. Being active coach to a competitive skaters with 2014 OG around the corner is another thing and it will be difficult for Krylova and Platov for example to participate but not impossible because for few months their students can train in Russia. I also wish to see Yagudin,Grishchuk, Gordeeva and Kulik in the show .
    As for the "original pairs" I didn't mean it per se .It was how they appeared in their first performance and since Averbukh and Zhulin are the coaches and Grushina and Novitsky unfortunately didn't take a part Lobacheva and Khkhlova's partners for the first episode become Goncharov and Vitaly Novikov instead.Later everybody will change partners. :)
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  18. sykr

sykr Guest

I think for exemple Anissina would like to take part in this or similar show, but Averbukh may isn't excited to invite her and in addition, her husband has some problems with the 1st channel. Grushina is married to one of the main stars of Rossia channel which may is a problem as well. Grebenkina skated also only in the show of Rossia, if I remember correctly. I have no idea about the other skaters and I don't know if I'm right, I'm just guessing.
    But I agree it would be great to see another skaters to take part...I have no problem with N/K, D/V,... but it's true their're doing the show for many years now and it starts to be boring...not because of the format, but because we watch the same faces all the time. I'd love to see Grishuk, Anissina,...
  19. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Do the skaters skate with their original partners or do they skate with someone else's parter?
  20. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think the concept is in the first show, they skate with their original partners (with the exception of Lobacheva/Goncharev and Khoklova/Novikov, since the full teams of these pairings are not in the show), then weekly or with some frequency rotate partners. (i.e., Staviski may eventually end up with Khoklova, Marinin with Navka, etc)
  21. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Thanks!
  22. lauravvv

I don't think that they will rotate partners all the time. Most likely, they will swap partners just once, and that's how they're going to stay until the end. Otherwise, there's no use giving them marks, as it would mean that judges would be judging a different pair each time (or even each dance, if they swap partners weekly), and a winning pair wouldn't be possible. I think the idea in such a show is for skaters of the newly formed pair to get used to each other gradually and to show some kind of growth accordingly (artistically and even technically as they get more comfortable with each other). Besides, it's very likely that the first shooting was just an opening show, and pairs didn't get any marks for those performances - that's how it's always been in Averbukh's shows (except 'Bolero', which was made as short as possible for several reasons). Maybe I am wrong, but that's my guess.
  23. vivika1982

The teams did get scores in the first show and they,ve changed partners more than once during the training session but you are right about everything else and until there is an official announcement about the rules of the show nothing is certain.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  24. lauravvv

Thank you for the information/correction. As for changing partners during the trainings before the show - it's nothing unusual in itself. Before all the previous projects some skaters and stars (or ballerinas) also changed patners during the trainings, until they found the ones whom they were most comfortable with. Probably this time it was done in a more organized way in order to form the best possible pairings, and that doesn't mean that they will do the same during the show. I can't say that I understand the judging system if the skaters first received marks with their original partners and later will receive them with other partners, but we'll just have to wait and see.
  25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

How much would they really have changed partners, by this point? You have 10 pairs, and all but two of them are partnerships that have been together 10, 15 years. I doubt that there was much changing of partnerships in the pre-show setup at this point.
  26. vivika1982

Constantly as far as i understood. As for the first show most of the numbers were already skated in "Disco City" and "City Lights" or earlier with little additions and editing.
    Few examples:
    Drobiazko/Vanagas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBTFCK8oVUQ
    Leonova/Khvalko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuosvN2eBkU
    Denkova/Staviski
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ_j_QlSIRw
    Totmyanina/Marinin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDULoPMEDos
  27. sunhillow

sunhillow New Member

I can't say that I understand the judging system if the skaters first received marks with their original partners and later will receive them with other partners - lauravvv

Hmmmm. Well, if for example, Drobiazko and Vanagas scored 12.00 this could be halved and they could be given 6.00 points each. If, for example Leonova and Khvalko scored 11.90 this could be halved and they could be given 5.95 points each. That way the skaters could change partners every week and each skater could build up their own personal score as the weeks went by. A total guess on my part but it's fun to conjecture about these things. :D Does anyone have any other theory?
  28. lauravvv

Actually, I thought about it too, but it seemed quite unlikely to me. But if there are at least two of us who got this idea, then probably it's not so unlikely at all :).

I also thought a bit more about the original pairs getting marks for their old programs, and I have to say that I find it a bit strange. Acknowledged and experienced professionals suddenly being judged for their technique in a TV show? Programs that have already been well received by thousands of viewers suddenly judged for artistry? It's not quite the same as newly formed and, therefore, probably imperfect pairs and especially made programs being judged for technique and artistry - which is what should happen in such a TV show, imho. No, actually I can even imagine it - Navka gets praised for her "amazing speed", even though she and Kostomarov (as a pair) haven't done any difficult lifts in their programs for years (it must be about Navka, since Kostomarov has been doing plenty of difficult lifts with his unprofessional show partners), and it suddenly turns out that Denkova and Staviski, two times world champions, are good for nothing (Navka being the absolute favourite and Staviski one of the constant whipping-boys) :eek: :lol: , and so on. I really hope not - after all, there were Tchaikovskaya and Bestemyanova and Bobrin in the jury besides the usual Tarasova and Sikharulidze.
  29. vivika1982

There are some answers from Iya Averbukh to your guessing about the scoring and etc. in Ice Symphony's Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/icesymphony.ru/posts/292610384119302

I translated only the part that clears some of the rules :

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  30. lauravvv

Thank you for the link and for the translation (in the name of those who don't understand Russian - fortunately, I am not one of them :)). So, sunhillow was right about the scoring system, except, marks won't be divided in halves between two partners, but will be shared. I must say that I would have liked constant pairs better - I am used to falling in love/symphatizing with particular pairs and feeling for them. But this will be something new and interesting, and probably better than I am imagining right now.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  31. sunhillow

sunhillow New Member

Well, I don't speak Russian and I don't do Facebook but obviously I am on the same wavelength as Averbukh. Hurrah! :) I like this format a lot, it sounds like it will be great fun. :p

Regarding Laura's comments on the jury - I am pleased that the judges are all from the skating world and I hope that means they will be strong and give their honest opinions and scores, not be intimidated to fall into line with whatever Tarasova wants. If that were to happen then the ladies part of the competition would just be a battle for second place behind T.N. (who I think is a fantastic skater btw and would be difficult to beat even without jury favouritism).

Paul
  32. vivika1982

Well, according to TAT nobody is like T.N. and she is "a national treasure" so it would be difficult to beat her . I gave up on the scores,judging and etc. in those kind of shows.Not that some scores are unreasonable but those shows are based on public rating and i strongly doubt that they would let World or Euro Champions to win over Olympic Champions :rolleyes: and is so predictable . However, one thing is sure; Averbukh's Ice Shows woke up the interest in FS in some regions.
  33. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Well, of those skating, Totmianina and Marinin are Olympic (and World/Euro) champions as well ;) (Yeah, I know, Totmianina isn't the "national treasure" that Navka supposedly is....)
  34. vivika1982

Hope dies last .Maybe this year will be different ;) and more thrilling with the new kids on the ice and the new "RSOI meets DOI" group of judges.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  35. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

:) will be hoping for fair judging as opposed to reputation judging (just like I do with ISU events!)
  36. lauravvv

Unfortunately, Totmianina doesn't have that "diva" power which Navka has - I admit that. The same could be said about Berezhnaya. To win in those shows, a skater has to have two qualities - to be an Olympic champion, and to be a good performer/have enough charisma to draw the audiences. Those who fit with those criteria are Yagudin, Navka and also Kostomarov. Marinin has proved himself as a good performer in the last two seasons, so now he is favoured more than before. Unfortunately, "diva" power and charisma without big titles can only get a skater so far - Drobiazko, Tchernishev and Staviski (who, while two times world champion, competed for Bulgaria and has other sins a s well) can get good places, but, most likely, will never win. I think the same applies to Khokhlova.

But it's not just Tarasova who decides all of that - of course, Yagudin and Navka are really her favourites, but it's also what the 1st Channel wants. So, I am not so sure if Tchaikovskaya, Bestemyanova and Bobrin being in the jury will help that much. After all, they are very probably influenced by the same things -1st Channel's policy and big titles + charisma.
  37. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Just looking forward to watching these skaters play! (especially once the partner switching starts up; it should be fun!)
  38. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Looking forward to see how TAT and Tchaikovskaya are going to get along :lol:
  39. vivika1982

:lol: Lets hope nothing like :argue: or :drama:
  40. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Thanks for the info. Are there any vids yet of the rest of the skating couples?
    There used to be a message board (in Russian) where fans would comment on the show. I think it was from the TV station's site. If it's available again & anyone has the link, I'd appreciate it. Thx and happy new year everyone!