I need some help with a script for Google Apps (spreadsheet to calendar)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Really, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I'm trying to build a connection between a form/spreadsheet and a calendar for teachers in our school to book laptop carts. I found a script in Groups, rebuilt my form/spreadsheet to fit, and made the changes to the script I could figure out, and got rid of the errors when the script runs. However, when I run the script, the new bookings don't show up in my calendar.

Is anyone familiar enough with scripting who can help me troubleshoot some more and figure out why I can't get the darn thing to work right?

Thanks so much for your expertise!

2. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

3. Really

I used this one...The basic script was there except for the calendar and spreadsheet names (including field names). I don't know enough to know what to look for as to why the events aren't showing up on the calendar. The script appears to run successfully, but nothing happens except the "EVENT_EXPORTED" field on my table gets filled.

4. Really

Bumping this up in case anyone who was away for the weekend is able to help. Please?

5. Prancer

Sorry; I was going to have my husband take a look and forgot. I won't be able to ask him until tomorrow evening.

What browser are you using?

6. Really

Thanks, Prancer!

I'm using Chrome. Our school division is using Google Apps for Education, so we have our own domain. We're getting a stash of Chromebooks at the end of the month that will be housed in carts, so I *thought* I'd be a couple weeks ahead of the game.

Between struggling to find a script to do what I want it to and Microsoft not providing an easy method of cancelling subscriptions, I'm feeling a bad case of pot, kettle, black between the two.

7. Prancer

There's some issue with Chrome and integrating calendars, but I can't remember what it is. I remember seeing something about room schedules specifically, too, but I don't remember what it was, either.

We're kind of moving toward Google Apps for everything at work, so I hear things about problems, but I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention :shuffle:

Which isn't very helpful, I know. But you might try using something besides Chrome and see if that works.

8. Prancer

All right. In order, try:

1. Make sure your spreadsheet is open
    2. Make sure column 6 is not equal to EVENT EXPORTED
    3. Make sure column 2 is not equal to ""
    4. Try commenting out the "If (eventimported...........) line that is in the middle of the page.

He thinks the problem is number 4, but says to try everything else first, just to be sure.

9. Really

Thanks...I'll give it a whirl!

10. Really

Nope...didn't work.

1. didn't do any different that what I've gotten before.
    2. column 6 becomes EVENT EXPORTED as soon as I run the script
    3. column 2 is = "Teacher"
    4. commenting out that line left me with a perpetual EVENT EXPORTED being recorded in every row of column 6.

Thank him for trying! I do appreciate it! :)

11. Prancer

He'll take another look at it tomorrow. He likes trying new things and knows nothing about Google Apps.

12. Really

LOL! Obviously, neither do I! ;)