I Love, Love, Love Universal Sports

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by sk9tingfan, Oct 20, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I don't even know what to do with myself with respect to the schedule starting today through the weekend on Universal Sports. On the roster per Comcast:

- The World Gymnastics Championship starts today through the weekend

Today, Wednesday at 11 PM EST, The women's team final

[*]Tomorrow, Thursday at 11 PM EST, The men's team final

[*]Saturday at 12 MN, The women's all around final

[*]Saturday at 8 PM, The men's and women's apparatus finals

The World Gymnastics Championship (Only one hour though) is on this afternoon between 5 and 6 PM EST

- The World Acrobatics Championship Thursday at 3:30 AM (EST)

- Coverage of the entire NHK Trophy
    • Pairs SP and SD at 6 PM
    • Women's SP at 10:30 PM EST
    • Pairs LP on Saturday at 3PM EST
    • Men's SP and FD at 5 PM EST
    • Men's LP at 6 PM

Can't find the Ladies' LP but I'm sure that HisWeirness has already documented its time

TG I have a DVR and cleared it out for this onslaught! It's a marathon weekend

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yeah ! While Eurosport doesn't show anything : no Gym, no FS... :mad:

3. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Universal Sports Web and TV coverage of NHK Trophy

NHK Ladies FS will probably be shown as part of the NBC NHK Trophy program on Oct. 31 from 4-6 EST.

Full schedule of 2010 Gymnastics Worlds from universalsports.com, Universal Sports TV and NBC

Universal Sports TV Figure Skating schedule
    Universal Sports TV Gymnastics schedule

Remember, you can watch both gymnastics worlds and NHK Trophy LIVE on universalsports.com for a subscription fee.

Unified figure skating and gymnastics TV schedule for this weekend
    all times Eastern
    *note* there are several repeats of these broadcasts. I've listed the first airing of each segment. See the Universal Sports TV schedules for gymnastics and figure skating above for all of the repeats

Wednesday, October 20
    5:00pm - 6:00pm: 2010 Rhythmic gymnastics Worlds, taped (USTV) premiere, from September
    8:00pm - 10:00pm: Women's gymnastics team finals, same day taped (USTV)
    10:00pm - 10:30pm: Around the gym postshow (USTV)

Thursday, October 21
    2:30am - 3:30am: Aerobic World Championships, taped (USTV) from the summer
    3:30am - 4:30am: Acrobatic World Championships, taped (USTV) from the summer

8:00pm - 10:00pm: Men's gymnastics team finals, same day taped (USTV)

Friday, October 22
    6:00pm - 7:30pm: NHK Trophy Pairs SP and Short Dance, same day taped (USTV)
    8:00pm - 10:00pm: Men's gymnastics all around finals, same day taped (USTV)
    10:30pm - 11:30pm: NHK Trophy Ladies SP, same day taped (USTV)

Saturday, October 23
    Midnight - 2:00am: Women's gymnastics all around finals, same day taped (USTV)
    2:00am - 2:30am: Around the gym post show (USTV)

3:00pm - 4:00pm: NHK Trophy Pairs FS, same day taped (USTV)
    4:00pm - 6:00pm: Women’s All-Around, taped (NBC)
    5:00pm - 7:00pm: NHK Trophy Men SP and Free Dance, same day taped (USTV)
    8:00pm - 10:00pm: Gymnastics Apparatus Finals Day 1, same day taped (USTV)

Sunday, October 24
    2:00pm - 4:00pm: Women’s Team and Men’s Highlights, taped (NBC)
    6:00pm - 7:00pm: NHK Trophy Men FS, same day taped (USTV)
    8:00pm - 10:00pm: Gymnastics Apparatus Finals Day 2, same day taped (USTV)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. sk9tingfan

ET AL.....Much more better!!! Thank you ever so much! Supposed to be working on an RFP and data analysis right now, and you're so much better at this than I am ;)

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  5. sk9tingfan

I need two bodies, two brains and two sets of eyes to take advantage of this!!! Is this too much of a great thing?:biggrinbo

6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

It looks like we're getting cable just in time for the NHK. Seriously, guy is installing it on Friday. Squee!

7. HisWeirness

More info about TV gymnastics coverage from NBC/Universal Sports (SDD = same day delay):

Feels like a mini-version of the week in January where we have Euros and US Nationals at the same time. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  8. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

I have to say I love Universal Sports :) but I'm stressing, we had it in LA and moving to Las Vegas we still have it. But in Feburary we will probably be moving to Orlando, Florida and they have it over the air?? Does anyone watch it on tv that way? Or know how to get it over the air? I guess I will be complaining to the cable provider to get it. It sooo makes me not want to move to Orlando. Forget the heat and humidity, I can deal with that, the lack of Universal Sports is the deal breaker :)

9. joy2006

joy2006 New Member

Hi! Does anyone know how much it costs to watch the figure skating on universal for the NHK event?

Also do you just pay on the day as Im looking at the website and I cant see anywhere to pay in advance.

Thanks!
    xxx:)

10. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Are the west coast times the same? Also, thanks in advance to those who update us on time changes. Universal Sports was all around wonderful last season.

11. HisWeirness

I watch Universal Sports TV over the air.
    Here is where Universal Sports TV is broadcast. Orlando has it over the air (WHDO over-the-air 38).

I believe you can pay in advance. The cost is $14.99 for the whole GP Series and Final (but NOT Skate America). Try this link.

The west coast times are 3 hours earlier than the eastern times.

On the Universal Sports TV schedules below you can change the timezone easily.

Figure Skating
    Gymnastics

12. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

from Tanith's twitter.

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I hate Universal Sports. I feel like because of it all the NBC broadcasts just go there instead. So I don't get any. We don't get it over the air, or by cable.

Very sad.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Please direct any inquiries on how to subscribe to Universal sports's online coverage to THEIR website, and THEIR tech support. thx.

15. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

Looking at their schedule, I SO wish Universal Sports were more widely available. Here's hoping one of the satellite services adds it to their nationwide programming soon. I think it would be enough to make me switch. Not really happy with Comcast anyway.

16. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

It's been crazy-great! I've been up and down the stairs so many times the last few changing discs back and forth between gymnastics and skating that I've gotten quite the workout :lol: (my best DVD is upstairs...) Tomorrow is a bit of a toughie since the HD broadcast on NBC coincides with the MSP/FD, but HD has to take precedence and I'll catch the other on repeat.

Whew! What a weekend!! TY to Universal and NBC! You are :rockstar:

-Bridget :)

17. joy2006

joy2006 New Member

Thanks for the help His Weirness, that was great xxx:)

18. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Hope someone sees this who could answer my question. I didn't think it was worth a new thread.

I don't go on the boards daily, so can anyone update me - last winter in Massachusetts no one had Universal Sports. Now my friend at work gleefully advised me that she spent the last weekened in her jammies watching Skate Canada on Universal Sports. She has Comcast. I have DirectTV. I guess things have changed. I adore my DirectTV and it's cheaper than Comcast. Go figure, I originally switched to DirectTV because they didn't have Oxygen, and skating (Worlds LA) was extensively covered that year. I can't win....

19. acraven

acraven Active Member

Bonita, you should check to see whether your local NBC station is broadcasting Universal Sports on one of its sub-channels. There's a good chance it is doing so, since Comcast has added the channel in your area. In that case, you may be able to get the channel with a cheap TV antenna. I can't provide specifics on this because I have Universal Sports through Comcast, but others have posted here on FSU that they've been able to get the channel over the air.

From what others have posted, DirectTV doesn't seem too interested in adding Universal Sports to its channel line-up.

20. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I don't even know how to get real TV without cable/satellite, but I'll ask my husband. I haven't had real TV without cable/satellite since the early nineties, LOL. I am a dino, however, and remember the tenny on the roof. Though my family was "rich" - we had an early remote control TV (a toggle control that you could flip through all ten or so channels/cost my dad quite a bit of a paycheck). My how things have changed. DirectTV is really cool, so I don't want to ditch it, but I've just gotten "yessed" to death WRT adding Universal Sports when I spoke with an actual human being.

21. HisWeirness

22. maclou

maclou Member

It's not on that list but I live right next to Boston and have comcast and I get it. I never would have known either if it wasn't for this thread! :D

23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Fortunately, my local NBC affiliate broadcasts it over the air. I've been scheduling recordings using my DVD recorder so I don't miss the "real" broadcast.

I have DirecTV - when I asked about the channel, the rep said that only the HD packages (read: $$$) offer Universal Sports on DirecTV. I argued (what else?) that, since I pay for the premium MLB package, they should throw in UniSports for free. Also tried "But my local NBC affiliate broadcasts it, and I pay for the 'local channels' option, therefore, I should get the channel for free." I think I gave the rep a headache, lol. I had to take the shot, but it bounced off the rim.

I'm so glad that Universal Sports is broadcasting this much skating - NBC's 2hr, week-later recaps just aren't the same as watching more extensive, same-day coverage. I wish they had kept the live feeds from last year. I enjoy the lack of announcers. I do miss my TV in the guest bedroom though - it's nice to watch skating before going to sleep. Good dreams come to those who snooze during the Men's events, lol.

icenetwork was okay last year, but they offered a $5 discount a few days after I subscribed and refused to adjust my bill when I asked for the discount. I decided not to renew this year just out of spite. That $5 profit last year turned into a $40 loss this year.

Did anyone subscribe to the Universal Sports online streaming? I'm tempted to do it since it's only $15, but I suspect that's a one-season introductory price since their online Skiing subscription is $30.

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Add me to the love Universal Sports channel list. Not only do they have great skating and gymnastics coverage, but they also have a lot of cycling, which I like.

And most of the items they show weren't being shown on NBC anyway. There were seasons with no coverage at all, so it's better to get it on cable than not at all.

25. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well thanks to AT&T's latest bonehead move.

I will have Universal on cable this week! The decision to drop the only channels I do watch because the provider wouldn't let them have 'alternative broadcast' rights means I am GONE! I hated Comcast's interenet, but there's a trade off!

26. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I paid $14.95 to watch this season on line on Universalsports.com. The only thing that really annoys me is that you CONSTANTLY have to keep signing in after each video you watch .

I subscribed to both Universal and Icenetwork on-line coverage this year because they both show things that the other does not.

27. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

I'm liking it :) . I keep checking to see if there is an HD version Universal Sports on my list of Comcast channels. Not yet, maybe next year.

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Skate Canada Mens' FS on now :).

29. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Directv only has Universal HD, not Universal Sports HD. I've tried for a while now to tell them to get it. They don't listen to me. :(

30. HisWeirness

There is no such thing as a HD Universal Sports TV channel. I think they eventually want to broadcast in HD but they do not right now.