I Have Got to Stay Out of Sephora (and other glamourpuss issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveRinger

Folks are posting on facebook and twitter that they are mad that Sephora is not allowing rouge members to use the vib 20% for two weeks in a row. I posted the following because I couldnt' stand it anymore.

There are people in the world who can actually afford to spend that kind of money in Sephora on a 2 week binge? I must have priorities messed up.

FiveRinger

I have a question for people who know anything about hair. I was using apple cider vinegar rinses because I had such a problem with dry scalp and dandruff. The problem is that now I have managed to strip most of the oil from my hair and it feels like something that grows in a field. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get some moisture back into my hair? I don't want to have to cut it back off, but if I don't get this under control soon I'm going to give up! Help!!!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I have a question for people who know anything about hair. I was using apple cider vinegar rinses because I had such a problem with dry scalp and dandruff. The problem is that now I have managed to strip most of the oil from my hair and it feels like something that grows in a field. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get some moisture back into my hair? I don't want to have to cut it back off, but if I don't get this under control soon I'm going to give up! Help!!!
If you don't want to go with the pricey treatments, you can try olive oil. I distribute it with my fingers, leave it on for a few hours, then follow with baby shampoo. It seems to help.

snoopy

You likely have damage to the hair cuticle, meaning you now have porous hair (cuticle that won't lay tight) that won't *hold* moisture. Look for conditioners with glycerin in them and give it a last rinse with cold water - the cold water will help close the cuticle and keep the moisture in the hair. This isn't going to repair the hair but it will make it feel a lot better until it grows out.

FiveRinger

If you don't want to go with the pricey treatments, you can try olive oil. I distribute it with my fingers, leave it on for a few hours, then follow with baby shampoo. It seems to help.

You likely have damage to the hair cuticle, meaning you now have porous hair (cuticle that won't lay tight) that won't *hold* moisture. Look for conditioners with glycerin in them and give it a last rinse with cold water - the cold water will help close the cuticle and keep the moisture in the hair. This isn't going to repair the hair but it will make it feel a lot better until it grows out.

Thank you both very much. I am going to try both, maybe even a hot oil treatment with that olive oil. I have never experienced anything like this. It's horrible.

Last edited:

topaz

What is your mixture ratio?

Maybe you are using the mixture too much? Are you using every day or after every wash?

topaz

My sephora things arrived last week. I've been busy with work but I'll post pics tomorrow.

I ordered the following - Urban Decay Vice Palette, Marc Jacobs Style Con 20 palette, Ole Hendriksen's The Works kit, Kat Von D's ink liner in tropper and bukowski, Marc Jacobs lipstick in Boy Gorgeous and Beseme classic red lipsticks(2).

FiveRinger

What is your mixture ratio?

Maybe you are using the mixture too much? Are you using every day or after every wash?

I used a 2:1 ratio probably 3 or 4 times in the same week. Not smart, when I look back on it. My sister is trying to convince me that this is temporary. There are days when it feels better and others not so much. The only positive is that I haven't had any dry or itch scalp. I'd trade that to have my hair look and feel like my hair again.

topaz

I used a 2:1 ratio probably 3 or 4 times in the same week. Not smart, when I look back on it. My sister is trying to convince me that this is temporary. There are days when it feels better and others not so much. The only positive is that I haven't had any dry or itch scalp. I'd trade that to have my hair look and feel like my hair again.

That maybe to harsh for a ratio. I would try like 1 to 2 tablespoons in 8 oz. of warm water. Also, try a 4:1(4 parts water to 1 part ACV).

FiveRinger

That maybe to harsh for a ratio. I would try like 1 to 2 tablespoons in 8 oz. of warm water. Also, try a 4:1(4 parts water to 1 part ACV).

I'm scared of it now. If I can get my hair back to it's normal state, which may take some time, I will have to find another solution. No more ACV for me. It's funny. I know a number of people who use it and never had a problem. This is definitely going to be an exercise in patience for me. And that's not my strength. Don't be surprised when I come back on here next week and tell you all that I cut my hair off again for the second time in 6 months, lol

kina

Yes, I think they are great. What type of lipstick from her line are you using? Could be you have a bad product.

The lip color.

Hm, I tried to wear mascara for the first time today. I'm still deciding if I like it ... most of the day went fine. It started acting up about 10 hours after I applied it, which I guess is good. Taking it off was difficult. I used Sephora's eye makeup remover and had to use about 3 cotton pads per eye and I used both sides. It looks like eye makeup and mascara or no eye makeup and no mascara needed because my lashes look great (putting on eye makeup somehow makes them disappear)

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@kina With most waterproof mascaras, I have to start with plain old soap and water, then eye makeup remover to get anything that's left behind. I don't want to do a lot of rubbing on my sparse lashes.

kina

@kina With most waterproof mascaras, I have to start with plain old soap and water, then eye makeup remover to get anything that's left behind. I don't want to do a lot of rubbing on my sparse lashes.

okay. i'm also not rubbing ... i just hold the cotton pad there for a bit and swipe it down. i'll try mascara again tomorrow. it does make a big difference, but it makes me kind of anxious.

topaz

I find that oil based eye make up removers work best on waterrproof eye makeup. Also, try soaking the pad in the eye make up remover and leaving the pad on your eye for around 20 seconds.

FiveRinger

I'm scared of it now. If I can get my hair back to it's normal state, which may take some time, I will have to find another solution. No more ACV for me. It's funny. I know a number of people who use it and never had a problem. This is definitely going to be an exercise in patience for me. And that's not my strength. Don't be surprised when I come back on here next week and tell you all that I cut my hair off again for the second time in 6 months, lol

Hair cut tomorrow. I can't wait!

Anemone

I wish I was getting mine cut tomorrow - I'm more than overdue, but work was crazy busy for a bit and I just couldn't fit it into my schedule. I called a week/10 days or so ago to book an appointment, and was told that not only is my stylist no longer at the salon, the salon has been sold and is under new ownership and has all new staff. :( I wish they would have given their regular customers some warning! So now I need to either find a way to figure out where my stylist is now (which, given I have only a first name, may be impossible), or find another stylist who can do a great job on my hair and who doesn't cost a small fortune and is reasonably close to either home or work. So not looking forward to this.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I recently changed my hair stylist after 13 years. This was by far my longes relationship :D Beside my GP.

My hair guy was really great and changed my life. He recently quit working for the downtown place and opened his own, far away from me. like I would waste almost 2 hours getting there and back. While I still love his work and his wifes, the girl they hiered to wash the hair and apply color is terrible. She left bruises on my scalp. Their prices were first less expensice than the place he worked for before, but recently they matched them.
Plus in past 4 or 5 times he ignored one thing I asked him not to do, so I decided to make a change. I am happy.

clairecloutier

So I was looking at pictures from Kristi Yamaguchi's recent show. And I couldn't help but notice . . . Shizuka Arakawa is gorgeous, but she also looks quite noticeably different now than when she was competing. I'm wondering if she had eyelid surgery or something.

Shizuka in 2005
Shizuka in 2006
Shizuka now
A picture of the whole cast from Kristi's Facebook page

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Hard to say, need a close up and comparable amount of make up. She does look a bit thinner vs. when she competed. She is lovely, either way.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
I think it's just the photos being shot from different angles that makes her look different.

But yes, she is gorgeous.

FiveRinger

Ok....hair is freshly cut. My cousin, who is my stylist, convinced me that I didn't need to cut all of it off just yet. My hair was already short before the entire apple cider vinegar fiasco, but I could hardly get the comb through my hair. It was just terribly dry and wouldn't hold any moisture at all. It felt worse than it looked. But after playing with it and dealing with it over the last few weeks, I determined that the comb would catch at the ends, but with it being short, it seemed so traumatic. My cousin agreed when she put her hands in it. I was scared she was going to cut herself it was so dry, lol.

Anyway, that was about half the length, which still seems like a lot, especially since I'm naturally curly. Long story short, it feels a whole lot better. Still not back to where it was, but it's manageable. And it's about to get really cold, so I didn't want to cut it finger short, which I was so tempted to do. I'll probably do the same thing in another month or so until I'm back to all virgin hair. But, so is life. I have never understood the desire people have to hold on to long unhealthy hair when you can just cut it off and start over. It is healthier and it looks so much better. JMHO.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Cyber Monday deals on make up and skincare. I am linking the Urban Decay one because NAKED palette set!! https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/best-b...52510649/photo-urban-decay-1448324484735.html

I am going to see what Sephora does because I need to replace my Buxom Hold The Line eyeliner, down to a nub yet again. All that tightlining!

@FiveRinger ITA about cutting off damaged hair. My stylist has just cut off 4 inches (OK, I didn't really want that to happen, my hair isn't that damaged) but that's the upside. My hair is so healthy now.

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
Yep, every now and then, I get 2-3 inches whacked off my hair. I rarely brush my hair and only use a wide tooth comb or my fingers to remove tangles, and use a blow drier for a minute only to get rid of the excess moisture after washing, and I still get straggly ends. I should probably do some more intensive conditioning every month or so as my hair does tend to be on the dry side in the winter months.

kina

My hair is a mess. It's full of frizzed out curls. I might just twist it tonight and see what I get tomorrow.

No mascara today. I was short on time ... maybe this Thursday.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I was thinking of getting Makeup Geek blushers on Black Friday but I will probably avoid the whole event and try to save my pennies...

FiveRinger

I was thinking of getting Makeup Geek blushers on Black Friday but I will probably avoid the whole event and try to save my pennies...

I have heard phenomenal things about Marlena's line but right now it's not in the budget. If you try it, definitely let us know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information