1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate it when someone says "'Nuff said!"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Reminds me of a job I had in high school. I was a cashier at Kmart, and we were trained to say "thank you for shopping at Kmart" at the end of every transaction - there were even TYFSAK stickers on the cash registers to remind us. Then a big directive comes down from head office that we are changing it to TYSOK - thank you for shopping our Kmart. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I rebelled and refused to do it. I would say have a nice weekend, hope the party goes well (if there were buying party supplies obviously), enjoy your new bike, whatever suited the situation. And did I mean it? Yes - I enjoyed that job very much and found that when I approached customers with friendliness they were friendly back.

No kidding.

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh I hate that. My husband uses that phrase all the time. Drives me nuts. I respond with " whatever," which he also uses way too often.

Another one I hate is "that sounds like a personal problem." I have 2 friends who use that phrase and it comes off like they are saying they don't give a $hit. If I say I don't like wheat pasta or country music or some actor, they respond with this phrase. I can see if I were giving out unwanted personal info (TMI), but that isn't the case.

3. kosjenka

kosjenka Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother

I "whatever" a lot in my mind.
    Find it too rude to say it out loud :hat1:

4. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Oh man, it feels really impersonal when a customer service employee ends a transaction with a variation of, "Thank you for choosing (full name of business)." If the customer feels like he or she has had a friendly rapport with that employee, the formal ending is awkward. A simple "Thank you" is more friendly and natural.

5. my little pony

my little pony war crawling into canada

i dont know when people started saying first world problems but it really annoys me. also, it sounds insincere unless it's followed up with mailing half your sandwich to malawi.

6. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It drives me nuts when people respond to my thank - you with "uhuh." My other pet peeve is "I personally ..." Is that different from the I that isn't personal?

I have been known to say "it is what it is" even though I can't stand that saying. I hear it all the time and sometimes it just slips out :slinkaway

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

It's my way of acknowledging that my problem is really lame in comparison to people who have really problems.

I also sometimes say "it is what it is." :shuffle: It's usually about something negative I can't do anything about.

I will try to do better.

As long as no one tries to "touch base" with me. :lynch:

8. my little pony

my little pony war crawling into canada

i get what people mean by it but it still makes me want to hurt them. if someone ever put first world problem and veggie in a sentence i would take hostages.
    touching base also makes me really stabby.

i admit that sometimes at work when i relay bad news and i get pushback, i have said it is what it is. it is my way of saying shut the hell up and do it without getting in trouble with HR.

9. taf2002

taf2002 Gardening maven

New peeve: that girl can "SANG". Uh what? It's spelled "sing" buddy. I just want to ask the person if they need remedial spelling help.

10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

Just touching base here -- is worrying about whether to serve veggies with hollandaise sauce or go with a polonaise topping a first world problem? :slinkaway

11. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Unless it's a baseball player.

I really really hate when people give you the "deets." What is wrong with details?

12. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I've never heard that one. I can see it could be aggravating. ;)

I hate it when someone says, "Can I run this past you?" Why don't they just say, "Would you look at this?" :mad: Mind you, I sometimes say it myself if the joke will be understood. :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

People use the expressions "Can I run this past you?" or "Can I run this by you?" also when they're speaking and not showing something to someone else. It's just another way of asking for an opinion. That doesn't bother me so much. It's a little less formal than saying, "Can I have your opinion on this?"

But "deets"? Awful! :lol:

O-

14. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

It always makes me think of Alfalfa of The Little Rascals:
    (Replying to Spanky) You know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna SANG.

15. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Guess you won't be buying and crab, tiger, and almond requisite-tttttttt from Monty Python, then!

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I was just talking to one of our admins about a work project. Another admin walked up and said "I don't mean to interrupt...." then interrupted and kept talking and talking while I stood there waiting. That drives me nuts. To make matters worse, it was about something personal and not work related at all. I had to go to a meeting so I had to interrupt her and say, "we were just in the middle of something." She clearly thought I was rude. I don't mind if someone interrupts me with work when I am having a personal conversation or just discussing current events. But the other way around and with "I don't mean to interrupt...." :lynch:

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I can't stand "stick a fork in [someone]."

Might have been clever the first time someone said it, but by the second time the slight wit is exhausted and it just becomes an unpleasant cliche.

Sounds painful if taken literally, demeaning in comparing people to food, and not even very accurate if the meaning is meaning is that the person is "done" in the sense of no longer of value rather than "ready to be enjoyed."

18. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Anyone who has that attitude has NO BUSINESS working in customer service. I work in retail steel and, if I ever had that attitude with a customer who had a problem with one of the material certifications it is my responsibility to send, I would have been fired a long time ago, especially if I ever pissed off one of the customers who spends tens of thousands of dollars a year buying from my employer. That includes having to re-send certs that they lost, or having to do certs for an order where they forgot to request them. I don't argue with them about it, I just look up the order, print the certs, fill out the stamp and send them. ~~ I also work as receptionist, so I also have the challenge of keeping whatever work pressure i may be dealing with at the time out of my interactions with callers.

Whatever it is, you do it quickly and you do it with a smile. The customer is doing YOU a favor by bringing their business to your employer instead of another venue, and it is the customer who signs your paycheck, NOT the head of the company you work for.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  19. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I hate hearing "you know". Some people use that phrase in between every 4 words!

20. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I hate it when people reprimand me for interrupting them, when they clearly have no qualms about interrupting me! It makes me seethe.

21. Simone411

Simone411 I'm Clippy and I'm an Ashleyholic

I've heard a certain phrase for years where I live. I've also heard some people use it when I would be at one of the malls in Shreveport. I've heard it so much recently whenever I'm in town that I can no longer stand it. "Whatever chills your ice and melts your butter".

I don't even know if anyone here at FSU has even heard that phrase before.

22. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

I hate how most news media now constantly shoehorn this sort of slang into their coverage instead of demonstrating proper English. It's important to establish reader/viewer rapport, but media should adhere to at least some proper language standards so the young can be exposed to them. At the rate we're going, future generations will grow up subliterate without even realizing it because news outlets now legitimize slang.

Damn, I sound like an uptight old biddy! It's just that I work every day with young attorneys whose work I must constantly edit for fundamental spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, and it is driving me nuts. These people cannot fcuking write.

23. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Something happened to me yesterday that I realized I really disliked. It's not WHAT somebody says, but HOW they said it. A woman said something to me and didn't speak clearly and I was left standing there going through all the possible comments she could have just said. It was just a throwaway comment, so not a big deal. But I wonder if people think I'm rude or unfriendly when I don't say anything...when really I'm just trying to figure out what they said so that I can respond. I guess I have to practise my "pardon me's???" more often. :lol:

24. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Relevant to this thread, although not to PeterG's post...

How many people who dislike "It is what it is" feel the same way about "That's that"?

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Whatever will be will be. To each their own. :biggrinbo

A lot of this stuff is just figures of speech, mundane annoyances and casual slang. Kinda interesting to discuss, yeah. But why not just stop being cra cra haters, get a life and deal with it peeps? Or else get together and write a book about your pet peeves, eh? ;) ‘Nuff said?

No, just no, there’s more …

:rofl: Maybe it’s somehow derived from giving birth, but without the baby bump?

Reminds me of that famous MK vs Tara thread, but not in a good way. :mad:

Anyways, how do you feel about “Nationals is gonna be a bloodbath!” And, so and so skater has to skate “lights out” in order to beat the rest of the field.

Hmmm, there’s a regular poster here who often uses that phrasing/ spelling. It just tends to make me smile, because it usually fits the context of what’s being posted about. :)

BTW, what part of the body, pray tell?

:rofl: How about, “Take Your Pet To Work Day” ??? :dog:

Come on, that’s just being polite and friendly, especially if genuinely meant. Better than being held up at gunpoint, eh? Or stabbed in the back by a two-faced colleague at work.

Now, here’s a couple of terms I don’t think have been mentioned yet:

Back-in-the-day -- somewhat overused, but I love it. :D

Calling skaters headcases -- Absolutely waayyy overused and should be banned. Or else, the accusers should be called such themselves every time their own nerves take over when they have to give a speech or perform in front of people, etc.

Take care y’all. :rollin:

26. mkats

mkats Well-Known Member

I always pictures skaters putting on their skates and then kicking/stomping all over each other when I see this :shuffle:

27. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

Any expression that's used a lot, generally ends up being annoying to me: it can't possibly be that everyone suddendly likes it a lot, and it's the most appropriate in the most occasions.

I don't like the three dots either: try and make an effort to say what you mean, instead of just hinting, it's neater.

Things that deserve exclamation points also come around much less frequently than exclamation points do. And even in the right occasion, one exclamation point is enough, two or three are completely un-necessary.

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

No dash necessary in the word unnecessary. ;)

29. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

Thanks.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree. There was a magazine I read for years that got a new editor, and suddenly there were exclamation points all over the cover. After the third month of reading her editor's letter and counting more exclamation points than periods, I gave up and have not picked up the magazine since.

Exclamation points are like a well placed swear word - can be very effective, but lose meaning and credibility when overused.