I hate it when someone says "'Nuff said!"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Apr 9, 2013.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't like it when people that you'll never meet again say "Take care." Do they really care that I take care of myself? Do they even care that I'm still breathing after our fleeting, superficial meeting? H*ll NO! :p

2. duane

duane New Member

I remember many years ago, someone on this board asked about a phrase her daughter and friends said, and she asked if anyone knew what "my bag" meant. So hilarious!!

3. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

That sounds like there is a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen!

4. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

5. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Right, but it sounds like a dweeb trying to be profound when the matter is mundane. Saying "I do" at one's wedding is fine because getting married is a big moment. Saying "I do" when someone asks if you eat pizza? Pretentious.

6. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

When someone says something then adds "but that's neither here, nor there" urks me. You obviously felt it was important enough to say, don't disqualify it by saying that. What's the point of saying so in the first place, if it's neither here nor there. UGH!

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Okay, I guess it makes some sense from that perspective. I've said I do to the pizza question, but in my defense, we said "I will" at our wedding.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Actually, I've never been to a wedding where it was not "I will".

heckles, do you take offense at all non "yes" or "no" answers? My mother-in-law asked "is it cold out there?" yesterday. I believe I said "colder than it was at our house; it's awful" (seriously--15 degrees colder a mere 20 miles away!) Was that pretentious? Just checking. Seriously, I suppose the words "it is" could be pretentious but that would depend heavily on the tone.

9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Heckles is a dweeb.

allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  10. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I am. :lol:

11. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

On that note "Nice to meet you" is probably in the same realm. Especially when it happens when you're first introduced. No one knows, at this point, if the other person is nice or not and if it is actually nice to meet that person. It has happened to me a lot over the past months and as a European it makes me roll my eyes each time because it seems like such a standard phrase that you're expected to repeat back and there doesn't seem to be any meaning behind it.

12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

"How are you" can slip into that category as well. I once had a co-worker who would say "hihowareyou" to every person she passed in a hallway without ever stopping. Not a chance she had any interest in an answer.

13. Skittl1321

I can't remember what book I just read, but it was about a non-native English speaker integrating into the US. One of the first things they said they found out was no on cares how you are, but everyone will ask. Answering honestly results in weird looks.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

"Surreal" is overused too.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Yes. 'Nuff said. :p

I think its use should be restricted to situations like this.

16. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

And "eclectic" and "egregious". It's as though someone has learned a new word and is determined to get it into the conversation, whether it belongs there or not.

17. GoldenLady

GoldenLady Member

It irritates me when people say "not to mention", then proceed to mention exactly the thing it seemed they thought was unnecessary. Ugh!

18. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the goldfish: ;)

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Exactly. Not just generically weird.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

No one knows? I do. When introduced to my nephew's new girlfriend for the first time, it was nice to meet her because I care very much about my nephew. When I shake hands with a new colleague, it's nice to meet them because we are going to be working together and getting to know them is a good start to a productive relationship. When introduced to a friend of a friend who I've heard about before, it is nice to finally meet them in person.

21. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

A lot of people are now using "ridiculous" as a compliment, meaning the opposite of its actual meaning.

I hate certain nouns as verbs, such as "party."

"Focus in on," bothers me because it sounds redundant.

Misuse of the word "like" bothers many people, but it's misused in a different way now, i.e. as a substitute for "said," in the same manner as some people say "he goes," instead of "he said."

Now people say: So I'm like, "why were you so late?" So he's like, "I missed the bus."

22. GoldenLady

GoldenLady Member

All of that may be true, but it still irritates me. :p

Some of the previously mentioned ones that I also can't stand are "it is what it is", and "shut up!", when used in the context of disbelief. Even worse is "shut the front door!". It makes me cringe. :yikes:

23. Skittl1321

People around here seem to have forgotten the phrase "to be".
    I hate when I hear "My car needs washed". It needs TO BE washed! Or needs washing. But needs washed- URGH!

24. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

"Party" has been a verb as well as a noun for a long time. But that doesn't mean you have to like it. ;)

That grates on my nerves, too. It's right up there with the non-stop use of "you know" as a verbal filler. (I think I once counted at least 3 dozen times someone larded a 2 minute interview with "you know." It ended every sentence -- and nearly every phrase. :scream:)

25. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

ITA. I'm always happy to meet people for the first time -- unless their bad reputation precedes them. It's later on that you might discover they are not the type of person you want to have an association with.

But saying "the pleasure is all mine" is kind of a strange comment when responding to someone's, "It's nice to meet you." ;)

O-

26. Skittl1321

I might say that if I met the President Obama or something. It would probably be true on both ends.

It is often nice to meet people, and like you say, it is later you wish you hadn't.

27. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

True. I guess it's sort of humble statement to make -- and also self-deprecating that the other person couldn't possibly be pleased meeting you! :lol:

O-

28. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

What's even worse is when they say "fruit and veg." Or just "vegs".

Just sayin' annoys me especially when it's middle aged radio people, but nothing sets my teeth on edge like yum. Yummy. Yummers. Nom nom nommy nummers. I quit reading those terrible Yelp restaurant reviews because of those non words.

29. mkats

mkats New Member

My mom spells it "veges". Drives me crazy.

30. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Well then I would guess you don't own any YUM! Brands stock. ;)