I hate it when someone says "'Nuff said!"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Also, now everything must "pop"...drives me crazy

And everyone has to have a "bucket list"

2. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

When people abbreviate already short words unnecessarily. Like "w/" for "with" for example. :shuffle:

orientalplane, Nell411, Habs and 3 others like this.
  3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Oh, I remembered another one: on trend. It's not so much on FSU, but I also read design and fashion blogs, and you see it all the time. WTF does it mean? Why can't they just say something is trendy?

4. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

People who use the phrase "I'm not a racist, but" usually proceed to say something that is, in fact, racist.

And I harbour an irrational(?) hatred towards the term "shabby chic". A lot of the home decor elements I like could probably be classified as "shabby chic", but I refuse to use those words to describe my preferences.

5. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I don't mind most of the things mentioned here, but I really don't like it when someone tells someone to "get a life". How much more insulting can you get than to imply that someone doesn't have a life?

6. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I hate the phrase "it's not personal, it's business." It's very personal to the person who got fired. And thank the dieties that the word "leverage" is no longer in fashion. Also, our COO regularly says "irregardless." Makes me cringe.

7. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

I don't like "ice is slippery". Pretty sure it's slippery for everyone!

8. mkats

mkats New Member

I hate when any sort of critique or criticism is met with "you're just jealous".

PS Allezfred I made sure to spell out "with" just for you :p

9. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I never really got that expression. Ice is hard and definitely can be slippery, but it isn't always that slippery. I always figured that people who mainly interact with ice as ice cubes made up/use that expression.

10. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I hate text speak. And I hate it when they say something is gonna "drop" when it will be new in theaters or a new song or something.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I much prefer "take a pill" to "get a life."

Badams, I don't like "drop an album" either. I read somewhere that a singer dropped her album and after I realized that she did not drop it on the floor, I then thought she'd scrapped it and started over. Took me a while to realize it was available for sale.

12. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

There was nothing wrong with it in 1986, but there was also nothing wrong with watching Growing Pains back then either.

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I usually hear it in the context of figure skating competitions, with the meaning that the competition surface is unpredictable and therefore the results can be unpredictable.

But it could also be applied in a broader, metaphorical sense: life is slippery and unpredictable.

14. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

I dislike "gutted" - especially used multiple times about your disappointment about your favorite skater.
    I mean how many times can you be gutted and not succumb to the many wounds.

Reading a PBP of a skating competition with its many "gutted" is quite bloody. :yikes: ;)

15. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

"It is what it is." Most annoying phrase on the planet at the moment :wall:.

I also have a serious pet peeve when words are shortened. That aggravation started when I first heard the word "parents" reduced to " 'rents" about 20 years ago. I mean, how fcuking lazy do you have to be to go from two syllables to one? :rolleyes: :wall:.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I despise the book equivalent: "book X releases on this and that date". What does the book release? Rainbows and sunshine? Noxious fumes? Its long-held breath? A book is released, it doesn't have agency and cannot release itself.

17. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I hate the word "hubby". Seriously hate it. I want to wretch whenever I hear it. I was once told that I would love this word once I was married. Married nearly four years now and still hate it. Someone recently referred to mine as "your hubby". I said please call him by his name.

I also hate the extremely condescending psychobabble use of "I'm sorry you feel that way". Most of the time, the person is not sorry at all and just trying to avoid responsibility for something offensive. This one was thrown at me on FB recently when I noted that an anti-Obama meme containing the "n" word was crossing the line. No way was that poster sorry about anything.

And, finally, this one is limited to certain church circles and my hatred is probably related to my current family situation: being told by people that they are praying for you with the caveat that they can't help at all but praying is far better than that. My family doesn't need prayers (that I doubt are being said anyway) as much as we need concrete help and support. Stop telling me you are praying and take five minutes out of your day to ask how we are instead. Right now, that is better. Or, you know, try doing both. An elderly relative who is a priest seems to manage to do both-- encouraging cards, letters, calls and prayers. All at once. Imagine that.

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I just had an irrationally strong reaction to someone sending me an email with their "deets". We're in a work setting. If they didn't have time to type out, "contact information" or "phone number' , couldn't they have just settled for "info".

19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anything irrational about your reaction -- especially since I had never heard/read "deets" before and could only think of DEET. :lol:

20. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Since I'm not familiar with the word "deets" or it's meaning, I would have e-mailed the individual back and told them to please use plain English and kindly explain the meaning of the word ... if there is such a word.

21. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

"cra cra" is another good one ... for "crazy" ... using two words and six letters for one five-letter word? And, unfortunately, for those NOT in the know, "cra cra" is also a slang word for a part of the body. Never use "cra cra"! :lol:

O-

22. duane

duane New Member

...or "Some of my best friends are..."

LOL! And I'll admit that 1986 was probably the last time I heard someone say it!

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am tired of commemorative days, weeks, months in the US. Some of them have a basis in a cultural holiday or significant event that is of importance to a group, and some of them are useful tools in publicizing the need for medical research, charitable donations, safety, and tolerance about various issues, but WTF is "National Hate a Nugget Month," which occurs in July. I assume it is not about the Denver Nuggets and, instead, has something to do with not eating fast food? March is also peculiar with National Celery Month, National Peanut Month, and National Frozen Food Month running all at the same time.

24. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Somebody at work just said "too bad, so sad". That isn't terribly cute to say when you are 8, and even less so when you are 48.

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

"Reporting out" rather than just "reporting".

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

27. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Something more annoying recent is people who answer a YES or NO question with a noun and a verb. As in, you ask if it's cold outside and the other person answers, "It is."

28. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

YES!!!! I was trying to think of this one earlier. Anyone who says it to me gets the Fusar-Poli death stare.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't really see a problem with that. It answers the question. They could also say "It is not."

It makes me think of having to answer in complete sentences in school
    "Is it cold outside?" "It is cold outside."

My peeve is when people "rant and rave" about something and all they do is rant. People don't seem to know what it means to rave.

I also don't like when people who are old try to sound hip by picking up young slang. I can remember being so annoyed at my mother who would say things like "my bad" and it was so damn annoying. Now that I'm 'old people' (sort of) I don't try to sound like the college kids I'm surrounded by at work. I distinctly remember it not being cool when I was a kid, so I can't imagine it would be cool now.

30. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Yolo :mad::mad: If I don't want to do it, I don't want to do it. I don't care that we only live once :mad:

Aiight, because all right/alright is apparently too long :huh:

When I use "whatever":rolleyes: it is indeed similar to an F-you... :shuffle: