I dare to ask! (Beware! Not a pc thread!!!)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Fandango, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Who is Michael Chan? the tennis player?

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I wondered the same thing. Michael Chack perhaps?

3. Squibble

Squibble New Member

He used to skate pairs with Nicole Nikodinov. :swoon:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Fliple Trip

Fliple Trip New Member

Ooooupps, sorry, it's PATRICK Chan, of course! See, he's sooooo uninteresting, I can't even remember his name correctly! :duh: :eek:

5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Me....

Oh you mean competitive skaters?

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Seriously not getting the people who have Yagudin and Lambiel on their lists. But to each their own. :lol:

Plushenko
    Weiss
    Urmanov
    Lipinski
    The Zhangs
    Lobacheva and Averbukh
    Navka and Kostomarov

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Yeah, I guess that is why she got such a lukewarm reception in South Korea last year 5 years after she had last skated.

Honestly, just about every skater who ever laced them up has been mentioned in this thread. So what's the point? Your boring can be my charismatic.

8. ZuZu

ZuZu Guest

Well, there's nothing special for a (foreign) skater about having a "lukewarm" :D reception in South Korea, but however... :shuffle:

9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I disagree with most of the names mentioned. This is all very negative.

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

My post was sarcasm.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  11. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Todd Eldredge
    Alexei Yagudin/Brian Joubert
    Jill Trenary
    Oksana Baiul (Except her 1992-93 SP)
    Sarah Hughes/Emily Hughes
    Galina Petrenko Weir (Not Priscilla TAT Weir)
    Zhang/Zhang

12. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Patrick Chan, Brandon Mroz, Timothy Goebel, Caroline Zhang, Carolina Kostner, Yoshie Onda, Petrova/Tikhonov, Zhang/Zhang, Rachael Flatt, Agnes Zawadzki, Kiira Korpi, Laura Lepisto, Miki Ando, Shibutanis, Nobunari Oda, Nancy Kerrigan, Fumie Sugrui after 2006...

There are more but those were the first to come to mind.

13. ZuZu

ZuZu Guest

Same with my post!

14. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Just for the sake of conversation and comparison (I hope you don't feel like I'm putting you on the spot), who do you find to be an interesting skater? And what do you think of these Michelle skates? I only put up some SPs and an Ex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iok96fRDFYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazOhkRuySI

I'm also a little surprised to see a few individuals mentioning Yagudin...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    cynthiabc and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Dancin' Dream

Dancin' Dream New Member

In no particular order:
    Lysacek, Abbott, Chan, Voronov, Savoie, Stojko, Eldredge, Restencourt, Urmanov,
    Meissner, Flatt, Sebystian, Bonaly, Kwan, Lipinski, Hughes (both!), Nikodinov, actually most Ladiezzzz, with a few exceptions
    Zhang/Zhang, W├Âtzel/Steuer, Eltsova/Buschkov

All in all, Men's used to be the most exciting competition for me, but now it becomes a snoozefest more and more. :(

16. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

I'd have preferred if people listing who they find boring...would list skaters or skates that they found interesting or appealing. Just for an idea of what features and examples draw people of certain tastes.

17. KingaG

KingaG New Member

Korpi, Joubert, Yuna Kim (well, she is not exactly boring boring, she has great jumps and speed, but I do not find her as interesting as others do), KvdP, his wife, Zhangs.

18. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

The skaters that I find boring are the ones who skate like they are taking a run through the park, rushing through their elements and with no connection to the music. Most of the elite or well known competitors mentioned in this thread as boring do not skate like this, thus not boring to me.

19. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Sounds like a very good idea and with good taste.

So, here's my list of skaters that I find interesting, appealing and noteworthy (present & past):

First in deserved recognition; Sabina Flight 548 (1961)
    Tenley Albright
    Sonja Henie
    Peggy Flemming
    Dick Button
    Debi Thomas
    Elaine Zayak
    Michelle Kwan
    Todd Eldredge
    Joannie Rochette
    Yuka Sato
    Sinead & John Kerr
    Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto
    Chen Lu
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Oksana Baiul
    Elizabeth Punsalan & Jarrod Swallow
    Brian Boitano
    Viktor Petrenko
    Stephane Lambiel
    Ilia Klimkin
    Ilia Kulik
    Alexei Yagudin
    Johnny Weir
    Evan Lysacek
    Yuna Kim
    Dorothy Hamill
    Brian Orser
    Paul Wiley
    Nancy Kerrigan
    Timothy Goebel
    Kirk Browning
    Rachel Flatt
    Carolina Kostner
    Julia Sebestian
    Kirra Korpi
    Miki Ando
    Sasha Cohen
    Jane Torvil & Christopher Dean
    Ekaterina Gordeeva
    Christopher Bowman
    Emanuel Sandu

and the majority of other skaters listed in this thread.

Reason:

All skaters listed plus more have contributed to the sport of figure skating and have made it what it is today. I'm one skating fan that appreciates the beauty of the sport, and without the figure skaters, it wouldn't even be a sport that exists.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    cynthiabc, cygnus, taf2002 and 3 others like this.
  20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

WOW! Its look like for some FSU users figure skating is a funn game. People, why are you watching FS if you think most of the skaters are boring? :lol:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Kings & Queens of Boredom:

Men - EVAN!!! Todd. Scott Davis.

Ladies - Rachael Flatt, no doubt. Meissner. Sebestyen. Nikodinov. In the old days, Annet Poetsch of the DDR.

Pairs - Mukhortova/Trankov (or other non-smiling Russians or ex-USSR teams), Zhangs

Dance - It's hard to find an inexpressive, boring dance team. Isn't "Dance" synonymous with "expression"? Even the ones that I do not like at least were expressive.

22. Squibble

Squibble New Member

This thread reminds me of this.

23. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

As far as I remember, every skater in that show got an enthusiastic reception, even for turning their head or raising an arm, LOL.

24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Miki Ando, Brian Boitano, Chengjiang Li, Zhang and Zhang, Caroline Zhang, Yuka Sato, Jill Trenary, Emily Hughes, Lang and Tschernyshev, Dube and Davison

25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

These are four of the most thoughtful, intelligent posts in this whole thread.

26. ZuZu

ZuZu Guest

Really, I love skating, many skaters are dear to me, but there are also some who bore me to death. That's part of the game, I don't see anything wrong to name them. But it looks to me like some posters feel just pinched because their fav. skaters have been mentioned too often :p :

Boring, to me:
    Patrick Chan, Evan Lysacek, Paul Wylie, Elvis Stojko, Timothy Goebel, Todd Eldredge, Kevin van der Perren, Andrei Lutai, Chengjiang Li, Nancy Kerrigan, Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, Kimmie Meissner, Angela Nikodinov, Hughes sisters, Yuka Sato, Meno/Sand, Woetzel/Steuer, Zhang/Zhang, Petrova/Tikhonov, and a few others I probably forgot to mention.

If there's a thread about exciting/great/beloved skaters I'd be glad to attend as well! :saint:

27. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Honestly, I don't get it. What unintelligent is there about discussing who we find boring? :huh:

Seriously people, it's not like every skater in the world will ALWAYS be considered interesting by EVERYONE. Now that would be boring :p Sorry, but it's exactly what public forums are for. To say what you like, to say what you don't like and discuss it with others. Imagine how uninteresting it would be if we all just came here to praise everyone and share thoughts of how wonderful all skaters are. Bleh.

So, instead of spoiling the fun, complaining and overall bitching around, just don't enter threads like this if you feel too intelligent to share negative opinions :rolleyes:

Same here. It's normal that there are skaters you love, skaters you like, skaters you're ok with, skaters you find boring and skaters who annoy you.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  28. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Most INTERESTING:

Women: Nicole Bobek, Alena Leonova, Akiko Suzuki, Laura Lepisto, Mao Asada, Elizabeth Manley

Men: Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Shawn Sawyer, Ryan Bradley, Jozef Savodcik, Rudy Galindo

Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Woetzel/Steuer, Brasseur/Eisler

Dance: Bourne/Kraatz, Belbin/Agosto, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Pechalat/Bourzat, Usova/Zhulin, Klimova/Ponomarenko, Duschesnays, Navarro/Bommentre

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I like Cherub's list... for the most part. ;)

I guess it would be easier to name skaters who aren't boring ;) but some examples off the top of my head:

Michelle Kwan - crossoevers reign supreme, who do people like her so much, I will never understand
    Carolina Kostner - "I'm constipated" look on her face just won't go away
    Kiira Korpi - no style, just a pretty face
    Shizuka Arakawa - no style, just a lot of hype

All currently competing Russian Men other than Ivan Bariev - for the obvious reasons (Gachinski is getting there though, his SP this season is lovely)
    Adam Rippon - male-version of GFB-programs

all Chinese Pairs other than Sui/Han - no basics, no style
    all currently competing Russian Pairs other than Iliushechkina/Maisuradze - no style

all Zueva/Shpilband teams - most dull choreographers ever
    Kerrs - they had two good programs, for all the hype, most of their work is very repetitive and unimaginative
    Bobrova/Soloviev - does that even require an explanation?
    in fact the vast majority of Ice Dance is mind-numbingly boring at the moment, CoP hasn't worked very well for ID :(

30. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Dance- navka/Kostomorov- talk about being glad they didnt stick around... OH and Usova Zhulin as well. Actually they would me the most boring dance team to date with me... yuck.Elizabeth Punsalan & Jarrod Swallow, Rene Roca and Gorsha Sur.

Pairs-
    Eltsova/Bushkov, the Zhangs, Maria Petrova / AlexeiTikhonov :wall:Dorota/Mariusz
    Aliona/Robin after the 2006 games. LOVED the short there.

Men-
    Eldridge in any exhibition
    Brian Boitano ( Great consistency but the rest was excruciating)
    Timothy Goebel
    Iliya Klimkin
    L.Tobel
    I totally dont get Patrick Chan

Ladies-
    Julia Soldatova
    Viktoria Volchkova
    Alena Leonova
    R.Flatt
    Carolina Costner
    Kiira Korpi