Husband update

judiz

The insurance company decided he was ready for a day program without considering that there are no day programs in our area that specialize in his illness. So he is still at the hospital in Boston but we have to pay a nighttime fee while he does their day program. Luckily we qualified for discounted fee.

The hospital wants to discharge him altogether next week to outpatient care at home but my husband, my father in law and myself do not feel he is ready. I have a phone conference tomorrow with the social worker to discuss this. We already figured out how to budget our money if we have to pay the remainder of the stay out of pocket. Ideally my father in law and I would like him to stay until the end of June which would be 90 days at this hospital. My husband hopes to be able to come home in the middle of June.

On the positive, he was encouraged to rent a car and has started driving again, he finds he is able to concentrate on driving and enjoys the extra freedom it gives him.

Japanfan

Fabulous that your husband is driving again Judiz. :cheer2::cheer2:Being behind the wheel of a car is not always comfortable for people with anxiety issues.

And your husband is fortunate to have the support of you and your dad, including financial support if needed. Though as a Canadian with government healthcare insurance, I find it a bit difficult to reconcile that you're having to pay for his care, which is so clearly needed.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Is there any opportunity for you to appeal the insurance decision? I know you're dealing with more urgent matters currently, but it may be worth trying to explore if you have options to contest the decision, especially since I'm sure even the discounted charges are significant.

But very glad to hear he's making progress and I hope things continue to improve!

agalisgv

The insurance company decided he was ready for a day program without considering that there are no day programs in our area that specialize in his illness.
Have y'all thought about moving to a location that has services that specialize in his condition? That might make ongoing treatment and support much easier.

Spun Silver

I hope the hospital will let him stay. It sounds like it's been a good place for him and those are hard to find. I thought hospitals were desperate to fill beds? That's great about the driving - seems like a sign of big progress.

Hope you are holding yourself together too.

judiz

Meeting with social worker did not go as hoped, discharge is scheduled for Saturday, June 4th

judiz

I hope the hospital will let him stay. It sounds like it's been a good place for him and those are hard to find. I thought hospitals were desperate to fill beds? That's great about the driving - seems like a sign of big progress.

Hope you are holding yourself together too.

This particular hospital has a 3 month wait list

Japanfan

Hope it goes well for you and your husband, Judiz. Is your husband well enough to be happy he's going home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information