Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Stay safe everyone and take care!
  2. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

They just admitted they got that news from a chat room/social media, and that it isn't true.

This is crazy. Hope you guys are all safe!
  3. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I haven't lost electricity in spite of scary wind gusts.

I have friends who live in Greenwich Village, and my guess is they're in a blackout. My brother and sister-in-law in Long Branch, NJ haven't had power for a few hours.

My windows crackle from the wind. Not a reassuring sound (especially when I'm sitting in front of a window).
  4. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Thanks. :) I just saw that and came in to edit my post. Can't believe CNN would report something like that without verifying it first!
  5. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

There have been so many horrible images on TV. I am sorry for all who are experiencing flooding and power outages. We have heavy rain and high winds in my area but, so far, our power has stayed on. The house phone is making crazy noises but my cell phone that normally doesn't work very well inside my house has been fine.

This weirdo was on one of our location news stations this morning: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=1211&sid=3098059. If link doesn't open, google Hurricane Horse.

Our lights just flickered big time. I hope that doesn't mean we're about to lose our power.

Stay safe everyone.
  6. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

The reporter on CNN in Atlantic City is driving me nuts. He's standing in thigh-high floodwater, getting buffeted by high winds, and is in an intersection with water coming from from multiple directions. Meanwhile, his cameraman is on dry land not very far away.
  7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:lol: Yeah, that's Ali Velshi. He used to do financial news then he had more anchor duties - now I guess he's trying to earn his chops outside the studio.
  8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yeah, heard he's really pissed. And rightfully so. Still no power, guess this is it for a while. Our deck door blew open, scared the crap out of us! The dead bolt wasn't on. It is now! Well, I guess it's time for bed and hopes for a better tomorrow.
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  9. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Classic Noo Yuork / Bruooklyn / Joizey accent from Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz on CNN right now. :lol:
  10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That equipment is expensive! :lol:

My cousin in NYC asked if there was such a thing as blue lightning. Turns out it's transformers on power lines exploding. :yikes:
  11. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Scary! We haven't really had much yet but it looks like we are in for it tomorrow. A Toronto woman was killed due to flying debris from the wind.
  12. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i have two friends heading to nyc this week- one was to leave on thursday and her trip has been cancelled =( not sure about the one leaving on friday- hope everyone is warm and safe!!
  13. doubleturn

doubleturn Rinkside on my iPhone

Checking in from Rhode Island. I live in Lincoln, just north of Providence. A few heavy tree branches came down, rolled across the roof and off the other side. Even at the height of Sandy, not too bad.

Stay safe everyone.
  14. milanessa

Glad you're safe, doubleturn. :)
  15. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Oh dear...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204840504578086290411855054.html

Edited to add: looks a bit better than the headline seems.
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/nyregion/hurricane-sandy.html

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

As mentioned before - I'm in Brooklyn and my area is OK, within the circumstances. We're on relatively high ground so we were spared a lot of the damage, though I haven't looked outside in hours (just woke up and can't go back to sleep). We were lucky to have power all throughout. The wind was terrifying. The pictures are so scary; IDK when the subway will be back.
  17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

This about describes my experience here in Queens. Very lucky to have not lost power and agree about the wind - truly frightening. Expect to find lots of downed trees in this area though and will be very surprised if Queens Blvd. did not flood. Glad you are ok, Oleada.
    oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  18. milanessa

Apparently there is an out-of-control fire in Queens. Dozens of homes on fire and 50+ homes burned to the ground. No word on casualties.
  19. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I never lost electricity and things just seem breezy outside.

I haven't heard from my friend who lives on the other side of town, so I'm thinking she's probably lost power and/or internet.

My completely arbitrary guess is my area (Orange Ct. NY) got hit a lot harder by Irene.

I'll turn the NYC news on in a few minutes and see how the rest of the world is doing.
  20. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Things never got too bad here and I never lost power. That said, other parts of my region were hit hard. Haven't assessed the damage but beyond a few branches, everything seems normal. I hope everyone else got through this as well as I did.
  21. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Looking out my window, I can see lots of trees and branches down. We are operating on generator power but rest of street is dark. Transformers were blowing up way past midnight last night so I expect those without power to be so for some time. No idea when schools will reopen, hopefully have enough food, expect relatives without power to be staying with us.
  22. milanessa

Make sure they bring their food, judiz.
  23. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Still no power. The wind has died down and the rain has stopped. No apparent damage in our yard or to our home. There was nowhere near the amount of rain predicted, in this area. It's not uncomfortably cold, which is good. Just, no power. Hope it won't be days of this. Got to conserve phone - later :)
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

(((((Hugs))))) to all dealing with the storm and its' aftermath.
    What I've been seeing makes me appreciate just how fortunate we were in FL.
  25. mkats

mkats New Member

Effing hell. I thought we were out of the storm zone, Atlanta!!!

Boyfriend and I were in the apartment downstairs when we heard a huge cracking noise and then the power went out. It's windy out, we figured something exploded, and we thought we'd best stay inside. Literally less than ten seconds later I got a text from the girl living across the street: "MKATS. YOUR CAR!!!!"

How lucky am I? I can't believe it was actually completely unscathed. Boyfriend and I had actually moved our cars after the power line blowing up incident, but yesterday morning I thought it was done and over with and moved my car back since I never got ahold of the neighbor whose parking space I was borrowing. He hadn't gotten around to it yet, thank goodness, because that tree is right where he usually parks :eek: Gotta love how it's bright and sunny outside and looks like a perfect day...

Worst part of it is that the tree downed the power line, so no power, no heat, and no internet at my place. It was about forty degrees last night and Boyfriend and I hauled out all the blankets and comforters that we owned. Look on the bright side, I've been trying to go to bed earlier for awhile :lol: went to bed at 9 and slept until 8 AM this morning. On campus now so charging all of my devices and brought Boyfriend with me so that at least we can stay warm.

The power company showed up last night and managed to remove the destroyed line, but wasn't able to restore power because the force actually ripped all the wires off of our house :eek: The landlady had an electrician come in first thing this morning, and then we have to get the power company back out here, so we're not looking at getting power back until late tonight at the absolute earliest.

Stay safe, everyone!!
  26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Far from the storm, but I'm pretty hacked at the NY Times story that suggests that Red Hook and Lower Manhattan are feeling the worst effects of the storm in NYC when the Rockaway peninsula is deeply flooded with people on roofs waiting to be rescued and 80+ homes engulfed in fire.

Mkats -- Gack! :eek::eek::eek:
  27. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

Ended up with about 5 inches of rain, a few strong gusts for a couple hours last night, and never lost power. This is in Northern VA out near Dulles.
  28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

1 large branch down - landed a few inches away from my mothers car - and a lot of sticks, but THAT IS ALL!!!! Never lost power or DirecTV -- DirecTV usually goes out in small storms, plus we almost always lose power in big storms. Way to go Pepco!!!!!!

At the beach my neighbor says I only have 1 branch down - my house is high and dry (I am up a hill), but the rest of the neighborhood is flooded because the water came over the seawall. The houses are built high, but the yards are under water. People moved their cars to my street though so those are ok. But we never lost power on our side of the village -- the low side did because they have a lot of flooding from water on 2 sides (bay and inlet). SHe hasn't gone inside my house but I do expect to have some roof leakage.

Haven't heard about the Assateague ponies yet. ETA: found an article that suggests they will be ok:

http://wtvr.com/2012/10/30/chincoteague-ponies-push-to-higher-ground-as-sandy-floods-island/

At the height of the wind gusts, my kitty Casper who was asleep in a bedroom on the windy side of the house, came downstairs and wedged herself between the piano and a box right in the center of the house. She was a street kitty who lived in people's sheds so she must know when there is a storm, you should sleep in the middle of the shed.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Got outside, tree leaning against house but no damage.
  30. firefly

firefly Member

I'm relieved to hear everyone is relatively ok!