Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

For those of you in apartment buildings I would make sure once the winds really pick up you use your curtains in case of flying stuff outside.. you could also tape them?? Might also want to remove anything from your balconies.. or porches etc.,

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Only in the mountains.

3. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Do you know which part of the state, rfisher? I'm still trying to figure out if any snow is going to reach the Blue Ridge in VA.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

On the Weather Channel yesterday, they said it was already snowing in southwestern Virginia.

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Thank goodness, and thank you for posting. We were worried about you. I was about to ask if anyone on the board knew who you are and could contact you. But, you're safe, whew!

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The garden kitty is napping peacefully on the couch. Thankfully I'm not counting on him for weather alerts.

7. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Thank you for checking in!!! :40beers: :respec:

Please hang in there and take care. :)

8. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

It's starting to get windy here in Nova Scotia and we are not even going to be hit by this storm! There is a cruise ship still here in port (they usually are gone by 3) so I wonder if they are sticking it out here for a while?

9. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

oh shoot, 6-12 inches of wet snow in my area of the Blue Ridge. That means broken trees and branches... gah...

10. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Part of the Atlantic City boardwalk has been washed away already.

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'm NE of Washington DC and the wind is horrific. The trees down around the pool are swaying like crazy.

13. Southpaw

The NJ news is showing different shots of flooding around the state. Judging by one of them from Hackensack it looks like the Ice House is probably surrounded by water right now. Not surprising.

14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

And it's one tree down, over the fence and into the pool. Kind of makes me glad I'm on the top floor.

15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

FSUers, and your friends and family...please stay safe. I've been watching CNN and it really looks terrible out there. Here in Ontario we are merely expecting high winds and rain, so not nearly as badly off although we have battened down the hatches so to speak.

As far as I know, they still haven't rescured the two missing crew member from the Bounty............feeling sick for them, their families, and remaining crew members.

16. KCC

KCC Active Member

Isn't Assateague where the little ponies live? (Vague memories since I've not been there since the mid '80's.) I hope the storm surge does not wash them (or any people, of course) away!

17. Southpaw

18. cruisin

:( I haven't been there since I was a little girl. We've had a few power blinks. Keeping my fingers crossed. Daughter and fiancé are safe in their condo. My son is home and I insisted his girlfriend come here. She lives alone, and I didn't want her to be by herself. Happily, she came here! Still worrying about my brother, he lives in Brielle, near the water. He insists that, because they are up on a hill, they will be fine. I hope he's right!

19. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Yes, there are ponies on the MD and VA sides of Assateague. They swim well, every July there's the pony swim from Assateague to Chincoteague across the bay. Maybe they'll go there.

20. Southpaw

The Mayor of Jersey City is holding a press conference. Jersey City officials haven't ever seen the water levels this high and the storm still hasn't made landfall.

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I woke up one Saturday with a terrible headache and freaked out that it was carbon monoxide from the gas heater. Got enough energy to buy a detector at Lowe's and....no, just a headache. :p But at least now I have peace of mind!

I hope everyone on the east coast stays safe! I lived in NJ for 10 years as a kid and I've never experienced anything like this. :( Still have relatives there, I hope they'll be okay!

Also, I totally just filled up a giant Sparklett's jug with water, from the reminder of natural disasters. :shuffle: I figure in an earthquake, that's the only thing you can really prepare for if one has a tiny apartment...

22. floskate

floskate Vacant

Please stay safe everyone out there having to endure this. The pictures on BBC news look so scary :(

23. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

That's scary.

Read that 70% of the 9,500 residents of Brigantine, NJ ignored the mandatory evacuation order and its really bad there right now. Hope this doesn't turn into some catastrophic loss of life event for those that didn't leave the coast.

24. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Tree # 2 down - glad I'm too high up to worry about branches coming through the window.

25. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

:wideeyes: I hope you're in a safe place.

I hope this doesn't turn into some catastrophic loss of life event for those who have to go in and rescue them.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the safety of all our FSUers, and everyone else.

26. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

People were apparently thinking, well Irene wasn't bad, how could Sandy be worse? WRONG. If I were on an island where the way out could be compromised, I think I would get out first.

27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

just got a taped call from my state senator saying that i should find a safe place to go and then go there

it's 5pm! you could have brought this up earlier buddy

28. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

29. cruisin

Lost power. It begins! Want to save my phone, so I'll be back when I can.

30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hope everyone is safe.