Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Part of the Atlantic City boardwalk has been washed away already.
  2. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'm NE of Washington DC and the wind is horrific. The trees down around the pool are swaying like crazy.
  3. Southpaw

The NJ news is showing different shots of flooding around the state. Judging by one of them from Hackensack it looks like the Ice House is probably surrounded by water right now. Not surprising.
  4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

And it's one tree down, over the fence and into the pool. Kind of makes me glad I'm on the top floor.
  5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

FSUers, and your friends and family...please stay safe. I've been watching CNN and it really looks terrible out there. Here in Ontario we are merely expecting high winds and rain, so not nearly as badly off although we have battened down the hatches so to speak.

As far as I know, they still haven't rescured the two missing crew member from the Bounty............feeling sick for them, their families, and remaining crew members.
  6. KCC

KCC Active Member

Isn't Assateague where the little ponies live? (Vague memories since I've not been there since the mid '80's.) I hope the storm surge does not wash them (or any people, of course) away!
  7. Southpaw

8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

:( I haven't been there since I was a little girl. We've had a few power blinks. Keeping my fingers crossed. Daughter and fiancé are safe in their condo. My son is home and I insisted his girlfriend come here. She lives alone, and I didn't want her to be by herself. Happily, she came here! Still worrying about my brother, he lives in Brielle, near the water. He insists that, because they are up on a hill, they will be fine. I hope he's right!
  9. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Yes, there are ponies on the MD and VA sides of Assateague. They swim well, every July there's the pony swim from Assateague to Chincoteague across the bay. Maybe they'll go there.
  10. Southpaw

The Mayor of Jersey City is holding a press conference. Jersey City officials haven't ever seen the water levels this high and the storm still hasn't made landfall.
  11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I woke up one Saturday with a terrible headache and freaked out that it was carbon monoxide from the gas heater. Got enough energy to buy a detector at Lowe's and....no, just a headache. :p But at least now I have peace of mind!

I hope everyone on the east coast stays safe! I lived in NJ for 10 years as a kid and I've never experienced anything like this. :( Still have relatives there, I hope they'll be okay!

Also, I totally just filled up a giant Sparklett's jug with water, from the reminder of natural disasters. :shuffle: I figure in an earthquake, that's the only thing you can really prepare for if one has a tiny apartment...
  12. floskate

floskate Vacant

Please stay safe everyone out there having to endure this. The pictures on BBC news look so scary :(
  13. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

That's scary.

Read that 70% of the 9,500 residents of Brigantine, NJ ignored the mandatory evacuation order and its really bad there right now. Hope this doesn't turn into some catastrophic loss of life event for those that didn't leave the coast.
  14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Tree # 2 down - glad I'm too high up to worry about branches coming through the window.
  15. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

:wideeyes: I hope you're in a safe place.

I hope this doesn't turn into some catastrophic loss of life event for those who have to go in and rescue them.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the safety of all our FSUers, and everyone else.
  16. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

People were apparently thinking, well Irene wasn't bad, how could Sandy be worse? WRONG. If I were on an island where the way out could be compromised, I think I would get out first.
  17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

just got a taped call from my state senator saying that i should find a safe place to go and then go there

it's 5pm! you could have brought this up earlier buddy
  18. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

19. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Lost power. It begins! Want to save my phone, so I'll be back when I can.
  20. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hope everyone is safe.
  21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is why the media needs to back off with all the hyperbole because when a storm doesn't meet all the doom and gloom expectations (and they hardly ever do, thank goodness) it just means people completely ignore the next storm and the next one until a major catastrophe does happen and everyone finds themselves in a life or death situation. This is what happened with Katrina and apparently no one has learned anything.
  22. Southpaw

Most of Atlantic City is under water.
  23. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Ooooh. Governor Christie blasting Mayor Langford about him telling people to go to shelters within Atlantic City and stay there instead of leaving the area.
  24. Southpaw

The Governor holding a press conference right now - he says the mayor of Atlantic City didn't listen to his pleas to evacuate his people and as a result there are people holed up in shelters who cannot be rescued if conditions become catastrophic. The governor says all responsibility is now on the heads of the elected officials who did not heed his pleas and warnings.
  25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

His press conferences are so much more interesting than Cuomo's

(deleted)
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  26. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Stay safe Cruisin :)
  27. Southpaw

The storm made landfall a few minutes ago, around Little Egg Harbor.
  28. Southpaw

My lights are flickering, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to report.
  29. 4rkidz

oh no.. we need your pbp Southpaw.. hope it stays on.. if not we will be thinking of you :)
  30. Southpaw

Still here. :)

The damage to the Asbury Park carousel is minimal.

Oh boy, wind is really whipping up and lights just flickered pretty big.
  31. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

They were trying to get around the storm.

We lost power for a few minutes, but it came back up. Let's see what happens...
  32. 4rkidz

my friends in delaware basements are flooded.. and one of their hubby's works on the ships and they also left Norfolk prior to the storm as I guess its safer for ships to be out at sea and not stay in the harbour?? I'm thinking that is what must have happened with the tall ship?
  33. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

In SE PA here on the DE/MD boarder and within the last 20 minutes or so everything has really picked up. Windy and scary looking outside. We still have power and just ate dinner so we're good for tonight, but... Looking at the maps, we're in the direct path of the storm... I'm just hoping I'm west enough that the storm dissipates some before it gets here...

Power just started flickering... not sure how much longer we'll be up and running here.
  34. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

GK - that shot's fake. It's from "The Day After Tomorrow".

Lots of wind here now, gusting to 50. Trees down around the area, and I've heard more than a few things hit the house today. DE friend has 9 inches of water and is thrilled she doesn't have a basement - she had enough flooding when she was in NJ to ever want one there.
  35. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Southpaw, what is your location?
  36. Southpaw

Hudson County, off New York Bay.
  37. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks, deleted it. Although I was watching the statue of liberty webcam earlier and it was just a big cloudy, rainy mess.

The wind can stop now, it's starting to freak me out.
  38. Southpaw

Yeah the wind is making my heart pound a little. :lol:
  39. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

(((hugs))) How's your handsome man handling everything?
  40. Southpaw

Cory Booker, the mayor of Newark, is expecting flooding in Newark when high tide hits in a couple of hours.