Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Anyone in touch with folks on the Eastern Shore of Maryland? The latest sounds pretty scary:

wondering about folks along the Chester River...

2. genegri

genegri Active Member

Yep! :D We don't have a generator and live on a hill top, so power outage means no water. I was erring on the site of caution and figured might as well get our emergency supply in order once and for all. The worst of being over prepared is to eat out the fridges for a week or two and no need for grocery shopping, getting gas, etc. But the worst of being under prepared would be to go urban camping, not exactly a fun prospect. :lol:

Last year we were lucky that we were on vacation when Irene came. But many of our friends and neighbors were caught by surprise. Several flooded basements and many more went without power for a week. One couple went on a very rocky cruise for a week and came back to a very wet house. Yikes!

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: how true!!

I purchased my favorite flavored bottled water from Dollar General on Saturday, 'cause I knew they'd be gone if I waited. I also got canned baked beans and some wurst to cook now in case I lose power later. Also got candles, cashews and peanuts. Nothing happened power-wise last year in my neck of the woods, hoping for a repeat.

4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

6. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Teeheehee - I thought it tasted like vodka...

What's bugging me now is the slowness of this storm. The slower it is, the more rain it will dump.

8. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

9. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

10. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Our power is out. I am shocked. It is so early. We have "portable" generator, I dare not complain about my headache from the noise. We have fridge and stove, and some lights, the latter which we have turned off, and I am sitting near windows for here's a new thought, daylight. Somehow my DH got internet. He has gone off seeking more gas for generator, which all weekend I told him we needed, but he said we were fine and now, of course, we are not. The main problem now is that no one has any left of those little 5 or 10 gallon containers. I am so glad I have 2 family with me and about 10 in one house nearby, well 2 miles. Those of you who are alone should buddy up with someone. I have 3:15 left on my battery, so goodbye.

11. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Lacey, are you using your generator indoors? That is extremely dangerous because generators release carbon monoxide. People with generators should be careful not to use them indoors or within 20 feet of doors and windows.

12. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Found a shop vac this morning, so I'm happy again. Sandy's shifting south, so my area is no longer in the direct line (watch it change at the next update). Photos coming in from the Jersey shore are shocking - lots of damage and it's not even here yet!

Rain predictions for my area have dropped from 6+ inches to 2-4 inches. Feeling lucky, but sad for the people getting hammered. Friend in DE just had a house built, they're expecting 8+!

13. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Just checking in... I was at Disney World last week and made it home to Northern Virginia yesterday. On Friday night we switched from a mid-afternoon flight to one at 9 am, and I was really glad we did when we found out that the afternoon flights were canceled.

Went to the grocery story yesterday for some supplies but there was no bottled water to be found... so we filled up some empty 2-liter bottles that we had on hand.

It's been raining since around 9 last night, but so far the winds aren't too bad, and no power or internet problems. I don't expect that to last, as the National Weather Service upped the wind forecast to 70-80 mph gusts for the DC/Baltimore area.

14. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Just called my neighbor at Public Landing, MD on the Chincoteague bay across from Assateague. She said it isn't as bad as Ocean City - the OC pier has washed out already, the water is up to the boardwalk with the sand washing up against the wall, and high tide there isn't even till 8 tonight. High tide at our place on the bay was 12:30 pm and so far, there aren't any flooding issues. It will depend on whether Assateague washes over at midnight since high tide comes again at 12:30 am. It is windy, but it is coming from the north, not the east. It is supposed to swirl around and come from the west later, which is really good because we will be buffered. Keeping my fingers crossed.

16. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, I am aware of that now Vagabond.........terrible......I read that artcle too quickly, then had to close.

17. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

EYS, WHAT RECKLESS SAID!!!!!! :eek:

Hang in there folks.

18. talulabell

talulabell New Member

raining pretty hard here, and the wind is kicking up. I drove to fill my tank this morning... it was pretty full before, but then I drove to the Eagles game (awful!) yesterday, and I was down below 1/4 tank, so I wanted to fill up again. So far, the Schuykill river and the canal still look pretty low, but it's early in the storm.

Yikes, 6 ABC just showed a twitter-pic of someone with water 2 feet up their sliding glass door!

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

And doesn't carbon monoxide cause headaches?

20. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Not too bad in central NJ (yet). I still have power and am still getting DirecTV, but that could change at any moment. My dog Seamus is very antsy.

21. Southpaw

80% of New Jersey expected to be without power tonight.

22. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

if you're still, err, conscious, or, um, actually alive and breathing to actually realize you have a headache, then yes :shuffle: :eek: :eek: :eek:

From
    http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/preparedness/factsheet_co2-generators.shtm

23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm in Brooklyn and this wind is getting really scary.

24. Southpaw

Wind started kicking up here on the other side of New York Bay, too.

25. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers...

26. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Oscar's really antsy too. I don't know if it's the noise or the very low pressure but he just jumped straight in the air, all four paws off the ground, for no reason we could see.

There's pieces of ice in that rain out there. :cold: And the tree I love right outside my balcony is taking such a beating...and the worst isn't even here yet.

27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

my mom just texted that there's a blizzard in W VA :eek:

28. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

ice isn't good.. def tree killer.. are you all set up for being without power?? The animals have a good sense when it comes to storms..

29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Here in Fair Lawn, New Jersey (15 miles from GW Bridge), wind gusts are really strong, the sky is filled with leaves, sounds like a train going by and a deer just ran through the backyard.

30. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

OUR GENERATOR IS OUTSIDE, WE HAVE USED IT MANY TIMES BEFORE, SO WE ARE GOOD TO GO WITH SAFETY. Besides, bless PECO, the power was restored after about 5 hours, we are so so so lucky. DH couldn't find any new gas cans to purchase. Then I remembered that my son has a lawn motor container and since they don't have a generator, we borrowed it since he won't be mowing this week. My daughter and I were total spazzes and could barely open the gas container, so a nice man offered to help, and then we splashed gas everywhere, and another helped us clean it up, but car still smells. DH will siphon gas by mouth out of the cars if necessary, as all hardwares were also sold out of siphon kits which would have had a pump.

The family in DC did take off, called from Maryland, so they made it through Delaware, not home yet.