Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Went downstairs tonight to move the shop vac higher. Then discovered that I apparently tossed it out a few months ago when I did a major purge of the basement:yikes: Of course, no one has them in stock at this point. I feel like such an idiot.

2. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

We attended the most fabulous Halloween celebration in New England last night......:40beers:

......and now we're back in NY a day early. :( In fact, with the parental units in the suburbs, just to make sure they ride it out ok. Humans and animals are together, secure and supplied. :)

Good luck everyone! Let's hope for a smooth ride!

3. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

Here in Philly too! Of course they went back to regularly-scheduled programming when football started...

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Uh oh. It could be a bad sign of things when the SS Minnow shows up. And me without any coconuts from which to build a radio.

5. talulabell

talulabell New Member

My work has already sent out emails to say that the building will be closed to non-essential employees tomorrow (datacenter, lab folks). We are encouraged to work from home tomorrow, if we are able, otherwise to take a vacation day (um, huh? if you've closed the building, why should I take vaca?). If I have power, I'll work from home. I have lots of ice freezing in the freezer (after ready a few pages of this thread, I took a break to go fill more things and put them in the freezer). Everything that can hold water, is, for cooking, the tub is full (for now, my stopper dont stop that great), and all the iDevices are fully charged. Flashlights, batteries, candles and matches are ready. I'm a little more nervous now, because Philly news just mentioned my town as "be prepared to evacuate"). Yikes.

6. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

my girlfriend is headed to nyc on friday to run the marathon... yikes!!!!

7. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Well, gee, that's just too damn bad that the collective public good/safety outweighed your "right" to watch something as comparatively trivial as a sporting event. You clearly have no idea how serious a situation this is going to be if the storm runs true to the forecasts. Very ironic that this post was written by someone whose location says "Long Island." Maybe you ought to look at the following and consider that this could happen to the NYC area this time around:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2011/08/30/irene-flooding-prattsville-new-york_n_941867.html

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Oh, take a joke. :rolleyes:

9. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

The hospital I work for didn't bother to make provisions for the staff; ie setting aside beds for the employees to spend the night. Dunno who's going to be working in the laboratory tomorrow. The techs on the night shift all called in; they couldn't get to work because they take the NYC subway. Everyone on the day shift who takes the subway to work called in also. 2 evening techs were manadted to do a double shift in order to cover the night shift. If the bridges are shut down tomorrow, the people who drive to work won't make it in. That only leaves people in walking distance, but AFAIK, nobody is. They can't mandate anyone to do triple shifts, so goodness knows what will happen in the morning.

The father of one of my coworkers owns a small grocery store. She told me that he shut the store down on Friday because he had run out of everything and the shelves were bare except for a few vegetables.

10. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Good thoughts going out to all of you that are in storm's way. Huge hug to each of you that has to ride this thing out. Be safe.

11. Karina1974

Too bad there's nothing funny about Kelleys6th's post in the slightest. Shallow, vacuous, & self-centered, yes. A joke, absolutely not.

12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I knew that this was Hurricane Sandy when I went outside and started to get pelted with rain mixed with seasoning packets... ;)

Public transport in Philly has been shut down; the base has asked non-essential folks like myself to take leave. There has been a steady rain since late last night and it seems to be increasing.

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Just finished filling a bunch of Ziploc containers with water to make big blocks of ice. We did this when we went camping and the ice stayed intact the 5 days we were in hot weather camping so this should last even longer in much colder weather if the power goes out. I hope everyone dealing with this storm right now are okay!!

14. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

You are prepared!

Anyone who has a refrigerator with an ice maker - make sure you empty it if you lose power. If it melts in the ice maker, you'll have a major mess.

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

she probably has over 700 channels on her tv, i'm pretty sure she had all the emergency tv info that she needed

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:lol: and since she never uses fresh ingredients and all her dishes could survive a nuclear winter, I'd say the only thing Cuomo needs to stockpile now is antacid.

I am also making ice. We're clearly going to need a few cocktails to ride this out.

17. mkats

mkats New Member

That reminds me of how in the early days of YouTube the only available video of Sasha Cohen's program at some event (I think Skate Canada 2003?) was taped by someone clearly living in a storm zone, and half the screen was covered by a huge "STORM WEATHER" warning :lol:

Bright and sunny in Atlanta this morning, but the temperature dropped by like 20 degrees in the last 2 days :cold: I guess it's passed us by. I'm so thankful that we didn't lose power - I hear power here isn't all that stable (I just moved here two months ago), but I'm thinking it can't be worse than Pepco up in MD. Noooo more of that, please...

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts last night - and sending my thoughts to those still in the way!

18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Oooooh. I wouldn't have thought of that one. Thanks.

My work made us come in to work today. And thank goodness I'm here. If I weren't here to revise the can images in that product brochure... :rolleyes:

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:lol:

And are you sure there wasn't any alcohol in that rain?

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

My work (in Boston) still hasn't canceled despite the mayor asking people to stay home and the T is shutting down at 2:00. I stayed home anyway - I almost got trapped in the city in 1991, never again.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Looks like 3/4 of my company are working from home today. I'll probably stay home tomorrow since the storm is expected to pick up tonight and tomorrow.

I'm just glad I didn't have any vacation flights scheduled for this week.

22. GarrAarghHrumph

23. Karina1974

Absolutely dead here at work. Phone is just not ringing, which is great because it means I have more time to play catch-up after being out on a week's vacation last week. Any bad weather we're supposed to get won't start until later on this afternoon.

24. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Apparently the governor of CT has just announced that the highways in the state are being closed at 1 pm.

25. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

26. GarrAarghHrumph

In NYC, the Holland and Brooklyn Battery tunnels will close at 2pm.

27. missing

missing Well-Known Member

It's windy here but the rain hasn't started falling. So far so good with electricity and internet.

My mail just got delivered, which I find rather impressive. Well, the delivery part at least. My mail itself was extremely non-impressive.

28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

29. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

It's raining here, lightly. Wind is fairly strong. I did my 3 mile walk early, so I got it in today :). I filled lots of zip lock bags with ice and filled the freezer. Now, I've shut off the ice maker. Going to take a shower, while I can still blow dry my hair. Nothing we can do,now, but wait and hope for the best. My daughter's fiancé was told yesterday that his office was closed. They called him this morning and told him to come in for a half day. Ridiculous, they are not in a field where they needed to go in today! Lots of road closings around NJ. Garden State Parkway is closed south of exit 38. Mail was delivered early. Township is already calling to alert that there will be no trash collection tomorrow.

To everyone in the storm's path - Please be safe.

And if we lose power for too many days and the numerous containers of spaghetti sauce (I have frozen in my freezer) defrosts, I am having a huge pasta party!

30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Haven't gone down to see how non impressive my mail is, but I also saw a USPS truck. Much earlier than usual, but I still hadn't expected it.