Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. firefly

firefly Member

Greyhound just cancelled the buses to NYC, so we're not leaving tonight. It's sad but given the situation even if the group decided to go I may have stayed at home. Thanks to all of you who helped me with this. It's appreciated!

Again, stay safe everyone!

Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  2. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

What the hell is taking OPM so long to close the government? those of us who follow gov schedules would appreciate it, guys.

3. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

Not to make light of a serious situation, but that line made me laugh...isn't Cuomo's live-in girlfriend Sandra Lee?

Hope everyone stays safe! Here in Philly there is mass-panic.

4. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Good thing the trip was cancelled. If the tunnels and bridges are closed, you wouldn't get through anyway.

Atlantic City area - extensive evacuations. Most of the NJ shore towns are evacuated, some optional, most mandatory. My brother lives in a shore town, but he's up on a hill, so he's staying. JCP&L is saying we will probably lose power for 7 - 10 days! I'm worried about a tree on the side of our house, it's bent toward our house and is huge. We were going to take it down last year, after the snow storm, but .... we didn't. The grocery stores have been mad houses. Not a canned good, water, or boxed milk to be found! Cars are in the garage, son's is under the deck. They are now saying the wind will start getting bad tonight/early tomorrow morning. The worst will be late Monday afternoon into Tuesday. Well, at least we'll get to watch Revenge tonight.

5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

all school systems are closed, I teach in a private school and so far we are open tomorrow. :confused:

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I foresee the title of the next Sandra Lee thread!

7. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Basement things that can be put up are up. Windows duct taped in our breezeway - they're old and aluminum and leak every storm. Lots of water jugs filled (including 5 gallons for the :dog: & :cat: Barn cat will be dragged in soon. :shuffle: Flashlights ready, everything that can be charged is charged. My son thinks I'm insane. I hope he's right and we don't get the expected 6+ inches of rain. :yikes:

8. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I'm worried about the gutters on the house. We usually wait for most of the leaves to fall before we get the gutters cleared. And we don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the roof.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:duh:

I thought this was the next Sandra Lee thread. :eek:

10. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone in the way of Sandy. Hope it turns out not to be too bad but you never know with storms.

11. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

try and borrow a ladder if you can as its the main cause of flooding in heavy rainfall?? The only good news for us is with all this rain we won't get all the leaves from the park opposite us as usually they all blow onto our property.. we are just cleaning out our gutters as expecting so much rain.. i'm more worried about our cold front that is going to meet up with the hurricane which likely will mean a lot of snow for us.. but i'm sure what we get will be nothing compared to further south in New York state..

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Anticipating a full house tomorrow, we have a generator, so far my mother and father in law and my sister in law and her family are camping out at my house.

13. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Our neighbors are calling us to see if we have a ladder. I don't think we're going to be able to do anything at this point. Also, our garage is basement level, and at the back of the house. So, since the basement is above ground in the back, the roof is 3 stories high! I don't think I'd let my husband go up there, even if we could find a ladder.

I'm just hoping it won't be as cold as it was last year. It's in the mid 50's, so we are fine without heat, if it stays that warm. Last year, we just couldn't get warm for days.

Judiz, I just realized we're related! Can I come too? :D

14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Have to admit I'm glad not to have home ownership responsibilities right now, or concerns about basement flooding. Also grateful to have a carport spot.

Still not looking forward to the power outage though, ugh. A gas stove will have to be a priority at this rate for the next place I move to.

Take care everyone - praying for no major damage, especially for those of you who already suffered from Irene/the freak October snowstorm last year. :(

15. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Do you have a fireplace, cruisin?

16. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

She does, but her chimney got blown out by lightning in a freak storm a few months ago. Cruisey, you ever get that chimney fixed??

17. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Good memory! The chimney did, finally, get fixed. They fixed the bricks about two months ago. But when they tried to put the new liner in for the cold chimney, they saw that the inner base of the chimney was damaged and the liner would not go all of the way down. We actually have two fireplaces, the one that was hit is wood burning and that chimney has the cold flue (exhaust for the hot water heater and furnaces) and the fireplace flue in it. We couldn't turn on the heat until the liner was fixed, or the house would fill up with carbon monoxide. The delay was because the initial quote didn't reflect having to fix the inside of the chimney, they didn't know it was damaged until they went in. so, the insurance company fought with us, a little. The eventually agreed to pay it. We waited, because the furnace is older and we figured that it would make more sense to replace the furnace with a new higher efficiency one, that vents directly outside, if we had to pay it ourselves. Everything is fixed now, over $10,000 worth of damage - between the chimney, the house alarm, the garage doors, my wireless router, and the phones. The insurance company covered it, we just paid a $500.00 deductible.

The other fireplace is gas, but it doesn't really put out much heat. Lots of blankets and my dog to snuggle :)

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You got the repairs done just in time, crusin!
    Stay safe, everyone!

19. milanessa

So the wood burning one is fixed? Or not? If it is, you'll have heat - always a good thing. :)

20. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

They both work now. The wood burning one is better for heat, and it's a smaller room, so it is more effective. The only problem is that we rarely use it and it doesn't have a fireplace screen. One more thing, we need to remedy!

21. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Here is Virginia Beach, I just have a lot of wind and rain. There is flooding in a lot of places.

It's supposed to get worse tonight. Wondering about work tomorrow - our office building tends to lose electricity fairly easily and our server tends to go down a lot. I would hate to drive in this and then not even be able to work.

Meanwhile.....12-year-old floats down Portsmouth (VA) street on air mattress.

22. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Please don't go to work! It's not worth risking your safety! Governor Christy (NJ) has recommended that all private businesses close, though he has not made it mandatory. Almost everything in NJ is closed - Government - Schools - Universities - your name it, it's closed!

23. mkats

mkats New Member

We're in Atlanta and despite it being REALLY windy outside, I thought we would be just fine since we're so far down south, so I went to lab. Came out to find all the construction fences blown over :eek: and hid in a bus shelter until Boyfriend picked me up.

On our way back, we heard this huge explosion and I thought someone had shot fireworks into the air over the street, until we realized that a power line had literally blown up right in front of us :yikes: :eek: We were the first car on one side and obviously we skidded to a stop, same with all the cars on the other side, and as we were trying to figure out what to do literally three or four more bigger explosions went off. Needless to say, we U-turned and got the hell out of there. Traffic instantly dissolved into a mess seeing as there are no traffic lights anymore, and it's Atlanta traffic...

I got home and moved my car out from under a tree - admittedly not a huge tree, but a reasonable sized tree all the same, and scooted it to an open area in front of another neighbor's house. Didn't have time to check with him to be sure it was okay but I'm hoping he's not going to call the tow truck on us in this situation.

24. milanessa

That's scary, mkats. :eek: Time to hunker down.

25. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I'm relieved to hear this. I hope you can at least get your $$ back for the bus tickets since it was Greyhound's decision to cancel the bus run.

26. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

mkats! That is scary! Glad you're okay!

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I teach in a child care center and we usually never close because the parents freak out if they have to miss work to stay home with their kids. We opened in blizzards, we were open last year during Hurricane Irene and every Noreaster that came our way. Got a call 90 minutes ago that we are closed tomorrow!!!

28. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

OK New York Metro area....hurricane Sandy won't even start raining here until tomorrow. So, WHY DID THEY PRE-EPT SKATE CANADA TODAY?!!!!! :EVILLE:
    We get so little figure skating on free TV each season. I really don't care hearing about the same news for 2 hours when they SHOULD BE BROADCASTING SKATE CANADA!! :wall:
    Just had to vent. Sorry........

:cat:

29. genegri

genegri Active Member

Another central Jerseyan checking in. Our 3 cars are all gassed up. Two fridges full to the brim and cabinets of canned food. Four cases of drinking water (35 tall bottles each case) from Costco. Filled large pots and pans with cooking water and bathtub and a few buckets with sanitarian water. Flush lights ready. Decent supply of batteries. We are at a high ground so flooding is not a concern. But lots of trees around pose a different type of threat.

DH works in Manhattan commuting via NJ Transit and he plans to work from home Mon and Tue. My company has numerous sites in NJ and all are closed tomorrow. It has NEVER been closed during the 5 years I have been with the company, including Irene. So I have to assume this time it is more serious.

Sincerely hope everyone will come out of this Frankenstorm safe and sound and without too much misery.

30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

We are allowed to work from home Mon and Tues. will see what it looks like in the am. Just hoping all the trees hold.