Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I get our sewer snaked every few years due to tree root issues. It's easier to pay the guy $500 than to deal with a massive bill to dig up the 60 year old sewer line. :yikes:

Today, :saint: son and I dropped off supplies to a 'Sandy cat' rescue. They originally received 88 cats from Point Pleasant and another area. Most have been reunited with their families. Lots of tears and smiles when the reunions happened. :) We looked at 3 different foster cats. We'd keep them until they're reunited with their families, but my whole family has to agree. I figure even if we don't bring one here, we can always drop off supplies there. Some of their cats have been waiting 5 years to get reunited with their original owners. :( One fat orange guy stole my heart - he's been there 3 years already!

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Aw, dbell - ya gotta get the orange guy.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

aw dbell, go get one!

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

:cat:Awwww, I hope the fat orange kitty has a new home very soon!! Rescue kitties are the best!

ETA: :respec: for dropping off supplies. When there is so much loss and devastation around, it's easy to forget the animals caught up in all of this. Yay for you for thinking of them.

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

6. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:) There were a few people dropping off supplies. Was really nice to see. There was a family on the way to get their pit bull who'd been rescued after the storm - so there were also 'Sandy dogs' waiting for their family.

I think the orange guy would do really well with Logan (my Ocelot terror kitten). "Boo" is 18 lbs. :eek: and literally jumped into my arms and turned himself into a scarf. :lol: They said he does that with everyone. Cat #1 was a pure white, blue eyed girl that's deaf - with my 3 dogs (and terror kitten) that might be an issue... #2 was a white guy with brown markings that actually broke into a house to keep from drowning! They said there were 2 other cats in the house, and the owners were surprised to see a third at the rescue - so they have no clue who owns him (or if he even had a home). But, he was hissy, and didn't like dogs. BUT - I may be getting a 20 lb. white Maine Coon - friend can't keep him at her apartment - waiting to see if she emails me back. I think I like them big boned. :shuffle: Either way, Boo would always be temporary, since the owner can reclaim him at any time.

Here's an article about the rescue group: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20436343,00.html

Cruisin - Rachael Ray has always donated a % of sales to both food and animal rescue charities (she once had a pit bull). I love her stoneware and knives so I'm biased, but she's one of my favorites. :lol:

7. cruisin

Yes, I have heard that about her. Is her dog passed? I thought she still had it. BTW, I don't dislike her, just not a fan. Though, now, I may become one :)

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Nutrish package pup passed a few years ago.

Back to the storm - a coworker was complaining in the kitchen a bit ago. Her neighbors have a huge yard, their trees in the back broke off and their fence is old, ugly, and falling apart. Seems the neighbors won't do cleanup since they don't have to see it from their front door. :rolleyes: Since the damage is on 'their side' they won't touch it and can't be forced to clean up. Meanwhile, coworker is trying to sell and has been told that's a major problem (especially in this tough market).

9. cruisin

Sadly, there is not much you can do about that sort of thing. We take very good care of our yard. It is nicely landscaped. Our next door neighbors are slobs. They never planted any shrubs, don't mow their lawn, let their house go, to the point where people ask me if it's abandoned! And they are both lawyers. It's been this way since we moved in 26 years ago. We finally complained to the town and they said that they couldn't do anything, unless it was a health issue. Which it is not.

10. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Just got the estimate for removal of three fallen trees on my property. It comes to $1900. I got a check from the insurance company for the damage to my roof, siding and deck, but it won't cover all the costs, there's a deductible, and there's another $2000-3000 I will have to pay out of pocket.

At least my out-of-pocket costs are all tax deductible so I might get some of it back next April.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My friends finally got back into their house on the Jersey shore for a few hours today. From the photos, it looked like they were flooded, but had no major structural damage so they were lucky. The town allowed the first 100 people in line on a bus that took them over the bridge from Toms River. Then they had 4 hours to get to their house on foot, get out what they wanted in one small suitcase per person (airplane carry on size), and get back to the bus. Their first goal was to try to crack out moldy sheet rock. rugs, flooring so the mold wouldn't get worse. They are allowed to leave that kind of thing outside for clean up crews to haul away. Then save photos, artwork if time permitted. She and her husband were trying to do this in 4 hours for their own house, his mother's house (she is 86), and their 92 year old next door neighbor. She got in line at 4 am for an 8:45 bus to make sure she got on. Haven't heard how bad her house was flooded.

12. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Big ruckus in Seaside - there's a towing company charging people upwards of $900 to get their cars back. Borough hired the guy and he seems to have decided to tow everything in sight - breaking into one to get the brake off while the owner slept inside the house. :eek:
    http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/t...ate-properties-seaside-heights#slide=55371311

Hope there's major charges filed here. It's big news on Facebook and a lot of the shore sites.

Update on one of the cats I considered fostering - Mr. Hissy was reunited with his mom today. :) He had broken into a house during the hurricane to save himself. 3 cats were pulled from the house, and when the owners of the 2 cats went to claim them they were pretty surprised to be told a 3rd was inside. :respec: to the cat who used up one of his 9 lives a few weeks ago. I'll go back this weekend to see how the deaf one made out (and yep, we're still considering the fat orange guy). :shuffle:

13. cruisin

^^ This Seaside towing company is evil! they have towed cars from private property. They have damaged cars and then told owners that's the way they found the cars. They are telling some owners that they don't know where their cars are. Owners who refuse to pick up their cars are being told that the cars are going to a dump and that they will be charged for transport. Disgusting!

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:soapbox: evil towing company. :cheer: for resourceful kitty!

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That's wonderful that Mr. Hissy and his Family found each other again. YAY!!!

Let know what you decide about Mr. Orange Buddy Boy dbell. My Much Missed Puss Puss was an orangey big ol' lug of a sucky boy and one of the most loveable cats I've ever had. Orange cats rule. :D

Disgusting is one word to describe it cruisin....

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

If this is really hampering his ability to sell, he may want to invest some money in this. He could either put a fence up on his side that hides their fence, and do some landscaping along the edge to do his best to camouflage what's going on next door, or else he could offer to pay for the fixes needed on his neighbor's property - at least pay to have their fence fixed.

18. cruisin

We planted evergreens on the side of the house that faces our slobby neighbors. It helps with what we have to look at, but it will effect our property value, when we want to sell. All of the houses and yards, in our neighborhood, are well kept and neat. The house next to us stands out like a sore thumb. Others have put anonymous notes in their mail box asking them to do something about their yard, they don't.

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Also probably criminal: I think price gouging is illegal in disaster areas and it seems this company has gone beyond gouging....I hope the Gov makes an example of them...

20. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

21. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I just heard from my cousin in Great Neck. It took them 10 days to get their electricity back, but things sound back to normal.

22. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Wow about the towtruck diver- lets hope charges are brought against him!

So I have a cousin in CT who had major flooding damage to her house during the storm and then gave birth to a new baby a week later! Everyone is fine, they are staying with her parents in the meantime and her husband works in construction so he is busy fixing the house (thankfully it was repairable). I'm trying to think of an appropriate "new baby" gift- usually I send books, cute baby clothes, etc. but I'm wondering if in this case something like a Target gift card would be more useful. What do you guys think?

23. cruisin

I think the gift card - Target, Babies R' Us, etc. If for no other reason than they probably have no place to put physical gifts, right now. Or, you could give them diapers, baby personal products, things that are consumable and they might need right now.

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd vote for the gift card as well.

25. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Third the gift card. When they're ready to buy stuff, it will be there. :) I'm not sure what the law is in CT, but in CA, gift cards never expire.

26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Another vote for the gift card. As others have said, anything else would bring up "Where will we put it?" issues since they're not at home right now. Other than stuff like diapers that is. So I think a gift card is perfect right now.

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Update on the towing company - the MJ Consumer Affairs Division reached an agreement with the towing company, and people who had their cars towed by this company can retrieve them free of charge.

28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The New York Times had a very good piece this week on the infrastructure needed to address the risks to New York from another hurricane.

Vetoing Business as Usual After the Storm

I encourage everyone to read the full article.