Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

2. GarrAarghHrumph

The news was reporting today that many customers on Long Island have been told their power may not be back until Thanksgiving. LIPA has said that all power will be back as of Thanksgiving.

Gov. Cuomo did not sound pleased as he discussed this.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Are they in a remote area?

We started that last week. Oh, you already know that :) Are you back at work? How did the roof tolerate the storm last night?

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I don't know about missing's cousins, but there are still hundreds of thousands of people on LI with no power, including in non-coastal communities. It really is outrageous. Luckily my house has it, but a lot of people I work with and my relatives who live all over do not, and they were told it was supposed to be back yesterday (Wed) in 90% of cases, but now are being told by Thanksgiving.

It's affecting a lot of businesses and gas stations still. There's also huge intersections and stretches with no power to run the street lights, and I feel like I'm the only one who stops at them as if they were a four-way stop sign, which is the legal requirement...

5. missing

missing Well-Known Member

They live in Great Neck.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

That is awful--especially in this weather.

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I had it on CNN this morning due to the sentencing of the would be assassin of Gabi Giffords and those that he did kill, and they were talking to IIRC the mayor of the town either a few blocks away from or across the bay from Breezy Point and to say he was beyond livid is an understatement. They've only had a couple of Red Cross people and only one FEMA rep. The only place that's got power is the Volunteer Fire Dept and they can only help so many people due to their small size.

He also said that one FEMA rep told them to get their power back, they need to bring in a licensened contractor and then a licensed electrician to come in to each of the homes to do the work. If that is the case, as he said they won't have power back until Christmas.

That's unacceptable in any realm of possibility, but w/this situation!?!

As both this man and the CNN reporter was saying, the people in this area are at the breaking point and need help NOW!! Where the relief is for this area is a good question. :(

8. GarrAarghHrumph

The roof survived the storm.

I went back to work finally, just yesterday. My company gave us bagels, and we had a telling of storm stories. :lol: One poor guy is out of his house for six months. A tree went through the roof, and right on through the downstairs ceiling.

The gas lines have pretty much gone away up where I work, but it's still the case that some stations run out of gas. Likewise at home - the lines are pretty much gone, but the stations still run out. And oddly enough, the Wendy's near work still isn't open, although pretty much everything else on that part of route 17 is back open now.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

Oh. I didn't know that. I will now know to stop and not just, erm... not stop.

10. GarrAarghHrumph

The reason for that is because when a home has been very flooded, and the electrics, including the box, have been submerged, there's a very real risk that if they do restore power, it will start a fire. So they need to have an electrician and etc. in first, to make sure the electrics are safe to be turned back on, before they *can* be turned back on.

11. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

NM

12. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

And right of way to those on the right, right? No, seriously, like in a rotary.

13. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

You are correct Lacey.

Sending thoughts to all of you. This has been beyond horrible.

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, it's not been well publicized unfortunately. Thank you for doing it now that you know, though!

Anyone tried for gas today in LI/NYC? Is it better?

15. cruisin

It did get better in Nj when they implemented it. The lines got much shorter. Gas stations, around here, seem to be getting back to normal. Not all are open, but I'm not seeing multiple mile lines.

16. GarrAarghHrumph

The radio news was on LI today, and they interviewed people on line who said it was much better. I didn't hear any reports from NYC.

17. cruisin

Thank goodness, I was worried about your roof leaking. Or the snow being heavy enough to cause more damage. Whew!

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw on CNN this morning that some people in NYC have been without electricity for 2 weeks! They were protesting against LIPA (very understandably). What a nightmare it must be for them!

19. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I just talked to my friends in NJ. They're still without power but, as my friend said, "we're lucky we still have a house to get power to." They're running a generator from a borrowed motor home and scraping 2 inches of mud and sludge out of their home with snow shovels. She and her husband take turns going out to wait in lines to get gas.

20. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

The 'licensed' requirement is to ensure that it is done properly. Take it from someone whose Aunt and Uncle had a house survive Camille only to burn down from an improperly repaired electric box when the electric came back. It was done by a relative who thought he knew what he was doing.

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:(

Electric work is something one does not fool around with. I'd wait for the professional!

22. cruisin

JCP&L said they expect 98% of power to be back by midnight tonight, the rest by Sunday.

23. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Oh, I do know that and understand that part of it. However, why do these people who have already gone through and still are going through Hell have to do that by themselves? *That's* what has me shaking my head in disbelief and as I said, is just so wrong. That should already be happening and through the respective insurance companies or power corps or even through FEMA somehow.

These poor people need this help now, but are told it's on them to bring these people in? Not right in any world IMO.

24. cruisin

The power companies are responsible for the main lines and the lines going into the homes. Anything inside the home is the homeowner's responsibility. FEMA and/or their insurance should cover that expense. But the power companies just don't have the man hours to deal with individual homes. When our house got hit by lightning, it was our responsibility to get an electrician and make sure we had no - inside the wall - problems. The fire department came and checked for "hot spots". But, the next day, we had to have an electrician come and do a thorough check. We also had a problem with our sewage, a few years ago. One of the trees, the township planted, sits right on top of out sewage line. One night, I was doing laundry and all of the water in the washing machine backed up through the toilet in the bathroom next to it. Cleaned it up, called a plumber, the next day. They came and first checked for a blockage outside. They found that the roots of the tree had cut into the sewage line and the line had gradually filled with dirt and rocks. We had to dig up half of our front lawn and replace all of the piping. It cost us about $10,000.00. The township has a hold harmless clause for the "beautification committee", so we had to pay for it ourselves and they did nothing. We can't take the tree down, because while it is on our property, it does not belong to us. We would get a $7,000.00 fine if we take it down. We were told that if it dies and they determine we killed it, we get fined. This is how this stuff works. Not always fair :(.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  25. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Good grief. Not always fair is correct....Reading this and hearing horror stories about LIPA (don't know how true or false) is disheartening.

26. GarrAarghHrumph

Bloomberg has set up a program called "Rapid Repairs", designed to speed up these processes. The program addresses the issues you all have brought up: http://www.mikebloomberg.com/index.cfm?objectID=E71A35A4-C29C-7CA2-F3CBDF3A86B42F17

This program applies to people in the city, not those outside it.

On another subject, the inspector for our insurance company came to assess the damage to our house today. We'll be covered for the tree removal, a new roof over that part of the house, and a new gutter on that side.

27. cruisin

Thank goodness!

28. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Just thought I’d chime in here. I think most municipalities are set up so the homeowner is responsible for the sewer out to the street, up to and including the connection to the city sewer. A lot of people think the city is responsible to the property line. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Also, the tree problem is not unique to you, Cruisin. Again, I think most towns are set up that way. Soooo, at least you’re not alone, whatever small comfort that may be.

29. cruisin

Oh, I realize I am not alone. When the plumbers came they told us they had already had to do the same type of remediation in many of our neighbor's yards. Not only did the pipes have to be dug up, the ground was saturated with sewage, in the area. It just seems rather unfair that the town is allowed to plant a tree on my property, that tree causes significant damage to my property, they have no financial responsibility, and I can't remove the tree which might cause more future damage. They have also acknowledged that they planted the wrong kind of trees. They should allow us to remove the tree, if they are not responsible for the damage it causes.

30. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Yeah. That sucks.