Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

There are a decent number of trees half-uprooted in my neighborhood. Won't take much to push them over. Hopefully, not onto my house this time. ;)

Still no work, but they got the power on at around 4pm today, so we're back at work tomorrow.

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

From the sound of things, it sounds like the major concern is the cold temps and snow that will/could be coming w/this new system.

Hope it doesn't end up being as bad as it could possibly be. Stay safe everyone!!

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I missed the local news at both 12pm and 6pm, but I think they are forecasting 3-4 inches of wet snow for Philly. UGH!

And those poor people in NJ, NY so do not need this. Some of them are already freezing just from the low temperatures, I cannot imagine snow.

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I know, it was 47 - 48 degrees in my house by Sunday. We got power back Sunday night. I can only imagine how cold it would be here if we had not gotten power. Last year when we had the Halloween snow storm it dropped to 41 degrees in the house, it was awful!

5. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Thinking of all those who are still trying to recover from Sandy and are now braced for the arrival of Athena (the nor'easter). Stay safe everyone!

6. cruisin

This nor'easter is making me nervous. If we lose power again, it will be even colder. And, for those who still do not have power, it will make it harder to get them up and running. This is just a mess on top of a disaster.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Is there any news on temporary housing for those who lost everything or are in areas close to the shore (no power and another storm moving in?)

8. cruisin

They are evacuating some towns. As far as power, we just don't know. Another big concern is that the trees that went down are still here. Cut up and piled in the streets. In some places barely enough room for one car to get through. If we get (in the north western parts of NJ) the 6" + of snow they are predicting - the plows won't get through. If the snow can't be removed and we lose power again, this will be a nightmare!

Just an FYI, Governor Christie only got his power back on Monday night. No favorites here!

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Sending support to all of you in the path of the nor'easter.

10. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Snowing here.

And the alphabet starts again. Hmpf. Athena.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I hope this storm will be mild, or miss you guys completely. Be safe, if it does hit.

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Got two messages from my town, first that full power will be restored by the weekend, second that emergency management will stay open during the nor'easter

13. cruisin

It's been snowing here for about an hour and a half already. No street accumulation, but the trees and grass are starting to. Worried about my daughter, she has a class tonight that ends at 7:30. It's doubtful that the school will cancel, since they had to cancel classes for over all of last week and Monday. But, it's a 45 minute drive for her and the weather is not going to be good at that time. I hope she doesn't go, if the roads are getting bad.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Can you call her and ask her not to go? You must be so worried.

15. cruisin

I did call her, but she feels she needs to go to class.

16. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Jeez if your state hasn't already had enough -- now this. And I am tired of hearing certain people teeing off on the Gov regarding the election. I'd like to see those folks walk a mile in his shoes since Sandy hit.

17. cruisin

Agree, I think Christie has handled this like a champion. His praise of Obama did not effect the election one bit. What it did show, was that people with the right attitude can work together, and that giving "the other team" credit takes nothing away from you. This should be praised as an example of how politicians should behave.

Now, back to worrying about my daughter.

18. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Transformer blew and many towns of Northern New Jersey lost their electricity again. Hopefully they won't be without it for long. Holding my breath that our power stays on.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  19. AragornElessar

I hope your daughter ends up deciding to stay home crusin. ITA w/you about Christie and how he's handled this. The fact that he's being slammed for praising Obama's handling of it all by his own Party just is a huge alert signal right there on what's wrong w/politics down your way. Just left me shaking my head in sadness.

A transformer blown already in NJ? Not a good sign that's happened so early into this. Hang in there everyone and safe safe *and* warm!!

20. cruisin

She decided to go. It was a three hour class. the teacher let them go after an hour. Certainly better than keeping them until 7:30, but why not just cancel it. She's on her way home. I, of course, am a wreck!

Judiz, do you know where the transformer is? We have about 2" of snow. The wind is picking up. I am getting nervous on so many levels.

21. cruisin

Daughter just called, she's home. Fiance' is also home. Son is at girl friend's apartment. Husband is home. So, everyone is inside. Now we just pray that we keep power.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  22. AragornElessar

Glad to hear it crusin. Will keep you in my thoughts tonight, as well as everyone in the area Athena will be hitting tonight.

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

no but the outageas ade in hackensack, river edge, caldstadt, hohokus areas.

24. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The transformer that blew is in Ho-ho-kus. In addition to the towns that judiz mentioned, Ridgewood is also out. Again.

I think that's one of my favorite NJ town names. Ho-ho-kus.

25. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

My friend just texted me, her house is dark again - areas of Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook dark.

26. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Mine is Buttzville.

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

seems many areas of Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook that had their power restored on Monday lost it again tonight. Three schools in Saddle Brook are dark, kids may miss school again if power isn't restored.

28. cruisin

How did everyone fare overnight? We retained power (so far). Shoveled the sidewalk, this morning and got the trash out. All of the food that I had to get out of the refrigerator was smelling up the basement. Tried to carry it through the garage and up the driveway, but it was too slippery. So, I had to carry it all upstairs to the foyer and out the front door. Good thing I lift weights! :lol:

29. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I just spoke to my cousins on Long Island. They haven't had power for 9 days, and there's a rumor it's not coming back until Thanksgiving.

30. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Missing, that might be the worst story told her so far. Horrible. Not being nosy, just curious, what part of LI?