Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.
I think you're being incredibly optimistic. Hope it works out for you.
My eldest son is sad about Halloween. He wants to contact the mayor and ask him to have it pushed back a week. LMAO! We are stocked up and both cars are fuelled up. Glad I am still off work so I don't have to deal with angry mother nature.
From what I read on the NY Daily News site, the decision to shut down the subway system will be made at 7:00 PM tomorrow night.
Sending all best wishes and thoughts to everyone on the East Coast (and especially to my many friends in NYC).
PS to firefly - You may want to contact Greyhound ASAP and inquire about any suspension of service should Sandy hit land and do what is being predicted. I tried looking at their website but, apparently, my browser decided not to load it completely; but I did Google "Greyhound cancellation" and it looks like there was a statement issued. I'd hate for you to, say, get to Albany and find out you won't going any farther on account of the weather.
Everyone, stay safe on the East Coast. Let's hope we all get through this mess relatively unscathed.
Raining already in Philly, hours ahead of schedule, going to do JDRF Walk in honor of my granddaughter who turns 8 today!
on tv right now, PECO is saying we will definitely lose electricity and it will take several days to restore it
That is what we'll be doing today! I think you're all right that I'm being optimistic. Like I said, we don't that much news here and I've never experienced this so I really don't know what to expect. Well, we do get the news but I've been doing other things the last few days so I just realized the strenght of the storm yesterday.
Are you the one in charge of this trip, firefly?
No I am not. I am close to the organizers tough. Nobody has cancelled the meetings and the hotel seemed to say we could come. I personally think we are going to be stuck in Albany. The bus probably won't go farther. But then again if they leave Montreal, they expect to reach NYC. It seems crazy to leave for NYC right now. I don't know what we'll do.
I say it again, as I posted a lot in this thread and my worries may seem foolish, I hope everyone who lives in the region will be safe and that you don't suffer to much from the consequences of the storm. I don't have anything to lose, only my time and this is nothing like the people who live on the path of the storm!
Not knowing what to do about travel plans is incredibly stressful and upsetting.
The MTA is stopping all buses and trains (including subways) at 7 PM tonight. Gov. Cuomo says they'll decide about closing tunnels and bridges as needed.
Thank you for the information. That means that even if we somehow reach NYC, we'll be stuck in the bus station if the subway is still now working (and it probably won't).
Your worries aren't foolish. One of the problems with something like this is that all the different entities have different responsibilities. For example, Greyhound. Their responsibility is to get you from point A to point B full stop. They aren't concerned with anything beyond that. The hotel (which you may or may not be able to get public transport to from the Greyhound station) is only concentrating on whether or not they can maintain power and services for their guests full stop.
Mayor Bloomberg has just announced a mandatory evacuation of Zone A. That's a possible 375,000 people looking for somewhere else to stay. I'd imagine they'll get some sort of priority for hotel space.
Duct tape is a good friend.
If you're in the predicted storm area, and haven't already filled your freezer with jugs (or tupperware) filled with water, might want to do so -- a full freezer keeps colder a lot longer than a partially full one. When my folks were living in hurricane central, they used an ice chest with milk/eggs/cheese/butter so that the fridge didn't have to be opened so often, and froze the water in gallon jugs to keep it from leaking everywhere. Higher fat dairy products like 2% milk + up don't go bad nearly as quickly as does nonfat milk.
And -- for coffee fans -- with the little one-cup cones & some #2 filters, you can have good coffee even if the electric is out as long as you have a gas stove.
Good luck to all.
The news just announced that the situation in New York is getting dire , worse case scenario, public schools closed for tomorrow, trees expected to be uprooted, winds high enough to blow out the windows of buildings. If you can avoid being in New York City do so Firefly. Think of your safety first.
In case Halloween is not a go here, I've stocked up on candy. We'll have a scavenger hunt for candy inside the house, dress in costume, etc.
The city has begun evacuations of low lying areas. So...
Governor Cuomo has just deployed the National Guard to the city. Firefly, you guys need to cancel this trip. I'm sorry.
We are in Raleigh, NC/Myrtle Beach, SC area for vacation and all we got so far was some heavy rain yesterday afternoon in MB area.
Hoping for the best for the northern eastern states.
Greyhound just cancelled the buses to NYC, so we're not leaving tonight. It's sad but given the situation even if the group decided to go I may have stayed at home. Thanks to all of you who helped me with this. It's appreciated!
Again, stay safe everyone!
What the hell is taking OPM so long to close the government? those of us who follow gov schedules would appreciate it, guys.
Not to make light of a serious situation, but that line made me laugh...isn't Cuomo's live-in girlfriend Sandra Lee?
Hope everyone stays safe! Here in Philly there is mass-panic.
Good thing the trip was cancelled. If the tunnels and bridges are closed, you wouldn't get through anyway.
Atlantic City area - extensive evacuations. Most of the NJ shore towns are evacuated, some optional, most mandatory. My brother lives in a shore town, but he's up on a hill, so he's staying. JCP&L is saying we will probably lose power for 7 - 10 days! I'm worried about a tree on the side of our house, it's bent toward our house and is huge. We were going to take it down last year, after the snow storm, but .... we didn't. The grocery stores have been mad houses. Not a canned good, water, or boxed milk to be found! Cars are in the garage, son's is under the deck. They are now saying the wind will start getting bad tonight/early tomorrow morning. The worst will be late Monday afternoon into Tuesday. Well, at least we'll get to watch Revenge tonight.
all school systems are closed, I teach in a private school and so far we are open tomorrow.
I foresee the title of the next Sandra Lee thread!
Basement things that can be put up are up. Windows duct taped in our breezeway - they're old and aluminum and leak every storm. Lots of water jugs filled (including 5 gallons for the & Barn cat will be dragged in soon. Flashlights ready, everything that can be charged is charged. My son thinks I'm insane. I hope he's right and we don't get the expected 6+ inches of rain.
I'm worried about the gutters on the house. We usually wait for most of the leaves to fall before we get the gutters cleared. And we don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the roof.
I thought this was the next Sandra Lee thread.
Good luck to everyone in the way of Sandy. Hope it turns out not to be too bad but you never know with storms.
try and borrow a ladder if you can as its the main cause of flooding in heavy rainfall?? The only good news for us is with all this rain we won't get all the leaves from the park opposite us as usually they all blow onto our property.. we are just cleaning out our gutters as expecting so much rain.. i'm more worried about our cold front that is going to meet up with the hurricane which likely will mean a lot of snow for us.. but i'm sure what we get will be nothing compared to further south in New York state..
Anticipating a full house tomorrow, we have a generator, so far my mother and father in law and my sister in law and her family are camping out at my house.
Our neighbors are calling us to see if we have a ladder. I don't think we're going to be able to do anything at this point. Also, our garage is basement level, and at the back of the house. So, since the basement is above ground in the back, the roof is 3 stories high! I don't think I'd let my husband go up there, even if we could find a ladder.
I'm just hoping it won't be as cold as it was last year. It's in the mid 50's, so we are fine without heat, if it stays that warm. Last year, we just couldn't get warm for days.
Judiz, I just realized we're related! Can I come too?
Have to admit I'm glad not to have home ownership responsibilities right now, or concerns about basement flooding. Also grateful to have a carport spot.
Still not looking forward to the power outage though, ugh. A gas stove will have to be a priority at this rate for the next place I move to.
Take care everyone - praying for no major damage, especially for those of you who already suffered from Irene/the freak October snowstorm last year.
Do you have a fireplace, cruisin?
She does, but her chimney got blown out by lightning in a freak storm a few months ago. Cruisey, you ever get that chimney fixed??
Good memory! The chimney did, finally, get fixed. They fixed the bricks about two months ago. But when they tried to put the new liner in for the cold chimney, they saw that the inner base of the chimney was damaged and the liner would not go all of the way down. We actually have two fireplaces, the one that was hit is wood burning and that chimney has the cold flue (exhaust for the hot water heater and furnaces) and the fireplace flue in it. We couldn't turn on the heat until the liner was fixed, or the house would fill up with carbon monoxide. The delay was because the initial quote didn't reflect having to fix the inside of the chimney, they didn't know it was damaged until they went in. so, the insurance company fought with us, a little. The eventually agreed to pay it. We waited, because the furnace is older and we figured that it would make more sense to replace the furnace with a new higher efficiency one, that vents directly outside, if we had to pay it ourselves. Everything is fixed now, over $10,000 worth of damage - between the chimney, the house alarm, the garage doors, my wireless router, and the phones. The insurance company covered it, we just paid a $500.00 deductible.
The other fireplace is gas, but it doesn't really put out much heat. Lots of blankets and my dog to snuggle
You got the repairs done just in time, crusin!
Stay safe, everyone!
So the wood burning one is fixed? Or not? If it is, you'll have heat - always a good thing.
They both work now. The wood burning one is better for heat, and it's a smaller room, so it is more effective. The only problem is that we rarely use it and it doesn't have a fireplace screen. One more thing, we need to remedy!
Separate names with a comma.