Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada is in the path of this storm at all?

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

3. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Thanks :) We usually get the tail end of lots of storms so it is nice to miss one!

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I know that it is currently raining cats and dogs right now in Toronto.

5. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

If I were you I would check to see if whatever functions you are going to have been cancelled. Please keep in mind that all of New York State including NYC is under a state of emergency, & flood watches and high wind warnings have already been issued for Northern and Eastern NYS (are you driving down? because if you are you'll most likely be driving right through those areas), according to the Weatherbug alerts that are popping up on my phone. Last year NYC was spared the damage that upstate suffered from Lee and Irene but, who knows, it could be the other way around, so prudence is definitely in order.

6. Karina1974

Take care of yourself. I'm hoping this isn't another Irene.

7. firefly

firefly Member

Thanks again everyone!

We don't have the luxury to go by plane. We're going with Greyhoud and as of now the buses still leave from Montreal. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow. I told the organizers about the subway most probably being shut down on Monday, but we're still going. I'll pack some more food just in case we are stuck in Albany and there's nothing to eat or to drink.

The only reason we would cancel I guess is if the people we are going to see cancel the meetings. On top of that, we paid... I didn't say it but it's an academic trip we're organising so we cannot really afford to lose that much money... And there was real academic value to the 7 meetings we have. I guess it's better safe than sorry. I'll keep you updated.

I wish good luck to everyone who's on the path of the hurricane. My worries are worth nothing compared to yours! Stay safe!

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

A pickup truck with NJ plates drove past me an hour into NY State, carrying three generators in its truckbed. They'd apparently run out in NJ...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  9. GarrAarghHrumph

The storm starts here on Sunday night. Is the bus supposed to be direct to NYC? It might make it if it leaves early enough, but I'm not sure how you'll get around the city once you get there.

10. firefly

firefly Member

Yes it's a direct bus from Montreal. The hope is to be able to go to our meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Like you said, on Monday it will probably be impossible to go around the city.

11. milanessa

I think you're being incredibly optimistic. Hope it works out for you.

12. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

My eldest son is sad about Halloween. He wants to contact the mayor and ask him to have it pushed back a week. LMAO! We are stocked up and both cars are fuelled up. Glad I am still off work so I don't have to deal with angry mother nature.

13. Karina1974

From what I read on the NY Daily News site, the decision to shut down the subway system will be made at 7:00 PM tomorrow night.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/sandy-tropical-storm-threatens-east-coast-article-1.1193631

14. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Sending all best wishes and thoughts to everyone on the East Coast (and especially to my many friends in NYC).

15. Karina1974

PS to firefly - You may want to contact Greyhound ASAP and inquire about any suspension of service should Sandy hit land and do what is being predicted. I tried looking at their website but, apparently, my browser decided not to load it completely; but I did Google "Greyhound cancellation" and it looks like there was a statement issued. I'd hate for you to, say, get to Albany and find out you won't going any farther on account of the weather.

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Everyone, stay safe on the East Coast. Let's hope we all get through this mess relatively unscathed.

17. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Raining already in Philly, hours ahead of schedule, going to do JDRF Walk in honor of my granddaughter who turns 8 today!

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

on tv right now, PECO is saying we will definitely lose electricity and it will take several days to restore it

19. firefly

firefly Member

That is what we'll be doing today! I think you're all right that I'm being optimistic. Like I said, we don't that much news here and I've never experienced this so I really don't know what to expect. Well, we do get the news but I've been doing other things the last few days so I just realized the strenght of the storm yesterday.

20. milanessa

Are you the one in charge of this trip, firefly?

21. firefly

firefly Member

No I am not. I am close to the organizers tough. Nobody has cancelled the meetings and the hotel seemed to say we could come. I personally think we are going to be stuck in Albany. The bus probably won't go farther. But then again if they leave Montreal, they expect to reach NYC. It seems crazy to leave for NYC right now. I don't know what we'll do.

I say it again, as I posted a lot in this thread and my worries may seem foolish, I hope everyone who lives in the region will be safe and that you don't suffer to much from the consequences of the storm. I don't have anything to lose, only my time and this is nothing like the people who live on the path of the storm!

22. missing

missing Well-Known Member

Not knowing what to do about travel plans is incredibly stressful and upsetting.

The MTA is stopping all buses and trains (including subways) at 7 PM tonight. Gov. Cuomo says they'll decide about closing tunnels and bridges as needed.

23. firefly

firefly Member

Thank you for the information. That means that even if we somehow reach NYC, we'll be stuck in the bus station if the subway is still now working (and it probably won't).

24. milanessa

Your worries aren't foolish. One of the problems with something like this is that all the different entities have different responsibilities. For example, Greyhound. Their responsibility is to get you from point A to point B full stop. They aren't concerned with anything beyond that. The hotel (which you may or may not be able to get public transport to from the Greyhound station) is only concentrating on whether or not they can maintain power and services for their guests full stop.

25. milanessa

Mayor Bloomberg has just announced a mandatory evacuation of Zone A. That's a possible 375,000 people looking for somewhere else to stay. I'd imagine they'll get some sort of priority for hotel space.

26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Duct tape is a good friend.

If you're in the predicted storm area, and haven't already filled your freezer with jugs (or tupperware) filled with water, might want to do so -- a full freezer keeps colder a lot longer than a partially full one. When my folks were living in hurricane central, they used an ice chest with milk/eggs/cheese/butter so that the fridge didn't have to be opened so often, and froze the water in gallon jugs to keep it from leaking everywhere. Higher fat dairy products like 2% milk + up don't go bad nearly as quickly as does nonfat milk.

And -- for coffee fans -- with the little one-cup cones & some #2 filters, you can have good coffee even if the electric is out as long as you have a gas stove.

Good luck to all.

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The news just announced that the situation in New York is getting dire , worse case scenario, public schools closed for tomorrow, trees expected to be uprooted, winds high enough to blow out the windows of buildings. If you can avoid being in New York City do so Firefly. Think of your safety first.

28. GarrAarghHrumph

In case Halloween is not a go here, I've stocked up on candy. We'll have a scavenger hunt for candy inside the house, dress in costume, etc.

29. GarrAarghHrumph

The city has begun evacuations of low lying areas. So...

Governor Cuomo has just deployed the National Guard to the city. Firefly, you guys need to cancel this trip. I'm sorry.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  30. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

We are in Raleigh, NC/Myrtle Beach, SC area for vacation and all we got so far was some heavy rain yesterday afternoon in MB area.

Hoping for the best for the northern eastern states.