Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amen, to both the above.

crusin, it's a good idea.
    I'm sure you could use the respite some "amenities" would provide right now.
    When we were displaced after a hurricane, several years ago; (power was out in 90 degree weather for 12 days) insurance reimbursed our hotel expenses.

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Governor Christie's office released PSE&G report of probable restoration of power in New Jersey, my town is on list for late tomorrow night. Go to NJ.Gov and click Hurricane Sandy Information Center. From that page on the left side is a link to the memo from all the power companies that serve New Jersey.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Power came back on earlier today, and cable and internet this afternoon. My parents still don't have heat or power. My sister lives near them and has offered to have them stay with her, but they prefer staying at their house.

Gas is still a precious commodity here, with the local stations running out frequently. But there are so many worse off than I am that I can't complain about some small problems.

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

If you have a gas cooktop, boil large pots of water. The steam will help keep the kitchen and perhaps even an adjacent room warm. Works better than turning on the gas oven. this is how we kept warm during snowmageddon.

5. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Got the power restored few hours ago.
    During the hurricane a gate from my fence fell on my car and few tree brunches fell on my roof.
    There are still too many people in my area with no power, and all the gaz stations are closed.
    The school was closed for the entire time, and I don't know if it is going to be resumed on Monday.
    This hurricane's impact was far more horrible than hurricane Irene, and now they are warning us that there might be another storm coming our way on Tuesday... :scream:

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Glad you're safe, Eden. :)

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yay for everyone who has power back. We're still waiting. We're hoping for tomorrow, but... It is freezing, but no hotel availability. Especially with a dog, who is seriously adorable but.... We're at a neighbor's (who have a generator) for dinner. I have a gas cooktop, they have heat. Win/win plus they are great friends! Temp is now about 47 in the house, burrrr!

8. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:cheer2: :cheer2: Eden!!! Thanks for checking in!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Power just came on!!!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  10. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    It's good to be back in the normal world. :)
    We tend to take things for granted, but when a disaster like this happens we learn to appreciate everything we have.

11. mkats

mkats New Member

So glad to see you FSUers checking in safely :) Good luck to everyone who's still powerless/house needing repairs!!

12. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

13. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Glad to see we've got more FSUer's checking in and are okay.

Saw on our local news tonight there's a whole bunch of Cdn Red Cross volunteers, not only from our area, but from all over Canada who are getting ready to head down your way to help out. The one person who was interviewed is a retired nurse and was already told she'll be headed to an old age home to help give the people working there not only help, but also some respite too so they can take a much needed break.

The US Red Cross is just stretched so thin, they had to make the call out for more Red Cross workers from where ever they're able to come from.

Mom's going to learn more tomorrow at Church, but we've already heard of one of our fellow United Church of Canada congregations in another area of the Island that has already started gathering gently used items to send down to the Storm area. Not to mention those who have started knitting or crocheting things. I've got a toque about halfway done and I already had a bunch of stuff done for Christmas, but I don't think my Sister and some Family Friends will complain about their intended gifts heading down to where they're really badly needed. I just don't know where or who to give them to, but I'm sure Mom will know more tomorrow.

crusin...Stay safe and warm. I'll be thinking of you tonight, as well as all of our FSU members affected so very hard.

14. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Relieved to see so many people who were affected by the storm have been able to check in! It's amazing how we can worry so much about people we may never have met face-to-face...

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, everyone in the affected areas. May you all continue to get back to some sense of normalcy in your lives.

16. cruisin

Well, still no power :(. Did get ice for the cooler, finally! Big worry is gas. Car has a little over half tank. That has to get me to grocery store each day and charge my phone.

Friend of ours owns several assisted living facilities. He has been feeding and providing coffee to police, firemen, rescue workers at several of his facilities.

17. skatesindreams

Blessings on everyone dealing with the aftermath of this.
    I'm learning more from FSU than the media!

18. milanessa

Apparently a large group of would've been marathoners have headed over to Staten Island this morning to help. :)

19. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I heard that a group of power workers from the south got to New Jersey to help with the power restoration but were turned away because they weren't unionized. If that true? If so, how awful.

From what I saw on the weather channel, yes, a nor'easter is headed to around the same area for around Tuesday or Wednesday. Hope everyone gets power back by then!!!! Warm thoughts to everyone!!!

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Just checking in to see how our friends on the east coast are doing. I hope your conditions continue to get better and better with every day and every hour.....sending good vibes your way. May you all feel normal soon.

21. milanessa

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Definitely UNTRUE They are not turning away any offers for help.

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Now THAT is good news! I was hoping something positive would come from the whole marathon fiasco.

25. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I'm also learning more from FSU than from the news media! good luck to everyone. cruisin', seriously, if you need a break PRkid moved back to her dad's on Friday and her clean, nice room is empty. (Don't know if the trains are moving down to DC from your closest Amtrak stop, I think they are.) Let me know if you want to visit a warm spot. We could go shopping. ;)

26. cruisin

Love you PRLady. :)

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

28. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

29. cruisin

Got a gas alert, and since I'm an even number, I figured I'd better go for it. Been on line for 1 and a half hours, so far!

30. skatesindreams

Hang in there!
    Thinking of you...