Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

We have a natural gas generator, we were told we could use everything but the microwave, washer and drier and dishwasher but to be safe we limit what we have on at any certain time. Problem is it ran out of oil this morning so my husband refilled it and now it's sputtering and the lights are flickering.

2. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Try big balls of crumpled newspaper and keep the door open a bit. Taping a small block or plastic cup inside the jamb will keep the door open. My sister did this when they had to put their fridge in storage during several moves/long trips.

The newspaper absorbs moisture and odor - works great when your shoes get wet. Stuff them with newspaper and keep changing it as it gets damp. Saved many pairs of puddle stompers this way.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

There was a riot yesterday at the Quickcheck in my town, as people were waiting in line for gas.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when power is scheduled to be back in Ocean County NJ? My niece in Point Pleasant is trying to find out. She is west of the RR tracks so she is not a flood victim, just cold and tired.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

6. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

I'm not your FSU angel, but drove from Philly to Boston today. (I'm a Philly native and have always had close relatives in Boston, I've been doing it since I was a kid.) I can't believe you'd ever drive 95 in the first place. NJ Tpke > Garden State Parkway > I-287 over the Tappan Zee > I-684 > I-84 > Mass Tpke is always the safer way to go. Going over the GWB and across the Bronx up I-95 is asking for punishment even in good times. Today it was fine, just trafficky through Hartford around 5 PM.

Smart choice not to go Albany. That is crazy out of the way...

I left Philly with a full tank of gas and arrived in Boston with plenty to spare. The lines in NJ are indeed unreal. The only sucky thing was I downed coffee in South Jersey on the Turnpike and had to pee like an hour later on the GSP. On the NJ Turnpike there are a clear lanes next to the gas line for cars who just want food/restrooms to blow by those waiting for gas. Not so on the GSP rest stops. By the time I got to CT and found a place to pee I thought my bladder would explode. Not only should you gas up before you go, but remember not to drink if you have a wimpy bladder. :shuffle:

7. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

8. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

Dominion Power in Virginia is sending a bunch of crews up north to assist in restoring power (now that power has been restored down here). Just heard it on the local all-news radio station.

9. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

There's a movement afoot to cancel or postpone the NYC Marathon, scheduled for this coming Sunday. The City needs the housing/hotels for repair crews and displaced NY'ers and the water, food, clothing and supplies they distribute to the runners would help care for the many people in Brooklyn and Staten Island who have nothing but the clothing on their back. City volunteers and work crews been clearing roads, sidewalks and parks in order to run the race, not focusing on helping the people whose neighborhoods are covered with dangerous debris.

If you're interested: http://www.facebook.com/#!/CancelThe2012NycMarathon

From a personal note, it's pathetic that the Marathon starts at the Verrazano toll plaza on Staten Island and they continue to claim it's run through "all five boroughs." It should start at South Beach or Ft. Wadsworth at least, so they're actually on Staten Island, not the landfill toll plaza, lol.

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

My town finally has an estimated restoration date for power - either tomorrow at 11PM or Sunday at 11PM depending on which source you read. Gas is still touch and go. Last night one station was closed and the other had 40 cars in line, but today the first station had gas again. I got there early and there was no line.

Last night on my way home I stopped and picked up a hot dinner again at one of the restaurants that was open and I got one for my neighbor as well. He was so thankful that he insisted on either taking me out or cooking a dinner for me when this is all over "if you don't mind being seen with an old fart like me". :loll: He is a sweet old guy who goes out of his way to help the old women who live alone in the condo and I was glad I could do something nice for him.

12. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the fridge advice :). Believe it or not, the milk is still cold, in a container of ice, in the freezer.

NYC Marathon -they should postpone it. For all of the reasons above. And because the city doesn't need more people getting in the way. My son has tickets for some big concert in the Times Square area, on Saturday. I told him he should NOT go! There is no reason to go into a disaster area unless you are providing aid or its an emergency. Tomorrow is not a night for partying in NYC. I will be very angry/disappointed in him if he goes.

Still no power. And all we're getting is it could be 7 to 10 days. That's what they said from first day. So is it 7 to 10 days from then or now? This is so frustrating!

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I disagree. If logistics allow, I think the Marathon should continue, for a lot of reasons. First, it's revenue for the city. Second, it tells the world that NY is open for business, which is extra important now. Third, it helps New Yorkers carry on, with hope that some sense of normal is returning and it's all gonna be fine in the end. It's not ignoring what's happened; it's giving people strength to move forward.

As for the concert, same thing. Times Square outside the worst disaster zone AFAIK, and the sooner it can get back to functioning, the better. If your son is coming from NJ, I can see not clogging up the roadways unnecessarily - but if he's using public transportation or he's already in the city, why not? Are people supposed to stop having any fun until every light is back on and every service is restored and every home is rebuilt? I think people need some fun right now, and need the comraderie of others.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Sending support, patience, and (((((hugs)))) to everyone dealing with the aftermath of the storm.

15. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Thank you! They did get in touch with her after she was able to charge her phone. :) I appreciate the info!

16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

When the town where I work was hit by the tornado, it was amazing how many offers of help came from private people living in other states (not to mention the outpouring from people in state).

I don't see it mentioned in this thread, but she did check in in Sekret Sources last night. She still has no power, but is ok.

17. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Concerning generators. We have a natural gas generator at one house and a gasoline powered the other. I confess I am rather ignorant about them but can tell you I prefer the natural gas. It was installed by the gas company and comes on automatically when the power goes. It powers more appliances than the gasoline and is not noisy. The gasoline was professionally wired in by a licensed electrician. Neither my husband nor I are very handy so we depend on others for that type of stuff.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  18. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Of all the post Sandy stories I've seen, the one about the two little boys drowning out on Staten Island is the hardest to deal with. I feel for the parents having to live the rest of their lives knowing that their decisions--first not to evacuate and secondly by the mother to attempt to flee the surge--resulted in the loss of their children.

Hopefully others will learn from this couple's mistakes. It should be a lesson for all who live along the coast: if you are told to evacuate, do so.

19. GarrAarghHrumph

Not all the way to Albany. But 87 North to route 90 east, which becomes the Pike in Mass. This usually adds 30 minutes to the trip. It's more miles for sure, but usually much less traffic, so it only adds about 30 minutes when we do it. But yes, the TZB/684/84/Pike route is normally quicker. We do the "towards Albany" route when we know that traffic through CT will be excessive.

I'd never drive 95 to Boston. You'd have to be insane. ;)

20. GarrAarghHrumph

They seem to have power in much of Mahwah now. Also in Suffern. But in that area, not as far south as Ridgewood yet. Yet one of my students in Irvington just got her power back. Where are you located, and how close are you to a town that does have power? That may help you guess when you may get it back.

Much of my town got it back yesterday, but not all, and the town next to mine, Greenwood Lake, is still out. So it's coming back in dribs and drabs.

I think they say the 7-10 days because the reality is that they won't know how quickly they can get power back on until they get in there to assess the damage, and sometimes, in some neighborhoods, there are other factors involved, such as downed trees, broken gas lines, etc., which impact their ability to work. I hope you're one of those whose power comes back faster than that 7-10 days!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'd go with natural gas if I had a choice but it's not available in my neighborhood.

22. aliceanne

Thanks. It looks like slow going. About 500 homes our of 7500 have been restored. She does have a gas stove and her landline is working, so that is some consolation. I guess hospitals, grocery stores, and gas stations take priorty.

23. aliceanne

One thing I have noticed is that the devasting fires in Queens and Mantoloking were caused by ruptured gas lines due to flooding. I'm not sure why that happens. Although gas utilities are good to have when the electicity is out, that is not very reassuring.

24. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Irvington is close to South Orange, right? Hopefully, my friend there will get her power back soon.

25. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Jenny, I understand your point, but they need hotels and food services for those who had to leave their homes and for rescue/repair workers. They can put the marathon off a week or two, that shouldn't dash anyone's hopes for normal :). As for my son, he is in NJ. I don't think he should be trying to go to the city. Not just because of clogging, but for his own safety. Hoboken is a good example of how this might not be finished. The surge water finally started to recede and a water main broke. I don't want him on the PATH right now, I don't think it's safe.

Garr, we're in Morris County. Part of our town never lost power, some areas are back on. Morristown never lost power in the center, but outside the center it's out. We lose power at the drop of a hat here. I believe it is because we are such a high elevation. Last year, our neighborhood came back in 3 sections, over 3 days. We were last :(. We have, big time, cabin fever!

Cleaned out fridge and put cups of baking soda in it. Also propped the door, slightly, open. After I cleaned it, it smelled better. It just faintly has that smell like a wet paper bag. Freezer has a tub of ice with milk & yoghurt. Seems to be okay, so far. Can't believe I'm so obsessed with the fridge LOL!

26. mkats

mkats New Member

I don't blame you. When we were out power in DC last summer for 5 days, the fridge smelled so horrible we had to clean in shifts or we'd get lightheaded. (One housemate had just made a trip to some Asian market and packed the freezer full of pork belly :yikes: before leaving...)

27. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

If you have access to GasBuddy.com, and type in your local town or zip code, you can find stations that have gas. People are being pretty good about posting updates with prices.

28. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Or he can go in early, help with clean-up, deliver supplies, etc., and then relax at the concert afterwards.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I'm here! :cheer:

Still No power in Hudson County, but no looting either. I think the cool weather is keeping people from getting too riled up. All I do is walk around town all day. Some delis are selling coffee and pizzerias are able to make pies. Most businesses are shut though. Lots of trees down in the parks and some trees on cars and houses.

galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They put a photo of this house in the paper -- it is on the right under the "Top Hurricane Sandy Photos" headline. The yellow house with the Union Beach Decimated caption. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/from_the_sky_jersey_shores_fam.html