Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Everybody, please be safe. I am thinking of you.

2. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Everyone please stay safe. I'm glad that our east coast FSUers are checking in so that we know that you are all okay.

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Sandy-schmandy. All's well in The House of Muller - power never lost, no tree branches, etc. I hope that other FSUers had similar luck.

4. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Just to show how big this storm is, I have a place in Door County Wisconsin which is a peninsula between Lake Michigan and Green Bay(the body of water). I live on the Green Bay side, on the beach. The wind is not suppose to be picking up until later, but the waves have started to roll already.

5. Vash01

be safe mrr.

On another note, every time I look up CNN, the death toll is climbing (currently at 29). Very sad.:(

6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Orange & Rockland reports that 2/3 of customers in Orange County are without power, so you and I are lucky. I also have power, although most in my town do not. However, I do have a 60 foot tree on top of my house, so...

Lots of trees down here. All pine trees. Mine is sitting on my house, but doesn't seem to have done too much damage. It looks spectacular, though.

Trees fell like rain here last night. First mine, then my neighbor's moments later, then the one up the street... Lots of exploding transformers as well.

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Went out a bit, to look around. Lots of huge trees in neighborhood down, pulled up from roots, sidewalks torn up. A few houses with trees through their roofs. Still no power, we're hearing it could be 10 days. This is awful! But, we're safe. My husband might not be, however, if he doesn't stop being a twit!

8. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I was wondering about these people; thanks for the update; I suppose it's too optimistic to think everyone will be okay... :(

9. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Oh, Garr, so sorry! I hope the damage isn't too extensive.

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

The pictures on the news here were quite terrifying. I hope everyone is okay.

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

We are having trouble finding a cousin on Brigantine Island and we thought the family evacuated but we have not heard anything. My father was the oldest of seven siblings and the large, extended family is a-ok (mainly in Camden county and Atlantic City.) But we have not been able to contact his cousin. I am hoping it is just the pandemonium that accompanies these tragedies. I am glad the FSU community is checking in and hanging in there.

12. Nan

Nan Just me

Once these things are over, the worst part is waiting to hear people are all right.

13. Vash01

14. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I tried calling my friend in NYC who I know doesn't have power and a friend in CT who probably doesn't have power, and with both of them I've gotten circuit busy signals.

There are phone issues along with all the other problems.

15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

16. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

17. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Call your insurance company before you do anything about it. When a tree fell on our house in a side effect from a hurricane, we removed it ourselves and it caused all kinds of problems with our homeowners' insurance, even after the insurance company agreed that it would have been weeks before we could have gotten a tree company to come and do it for us.

Also, take pictures. That helped us, too.

18. Vash01

Missing, I hope your friends are OK.

I just checked with a coworker who has family & friends in NYC. He said they are all OK.

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am looking at pictures on CNN and they are extraordinary. NYC's subway system is underwater.

20. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

21. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The Jersey Shore has been destroyed, all the rides on the piers have been blown out to sea.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about the trains from NYC to Boston? DD who has been stuck here in Philly since the trains stopped wants to go out of Philly Thursday morning (so far they're not running tomorrow) from Philly to NYC, check in at her job at an alternate site since she cannot get to Weehawken, and then plane to Boston Thurs night for possible grad school open house. I told her planes are too backed up (she does have res, but still?), and to maybe take a train, it might be a better go. And she doesn't want to stop at her apt in NYC because there is no power, no food, and no water, much less can one even pee there.

24. genegri

genegri Active Member

Power is now back on after more than 24 hours. Neighbors and I cheered. Kudos to PSE&G. I was totally thinking it would take somewhere close to a week to restore power.

Big trees behind our houses were uprooted but thankfully they fell into the woods, the opposite to the houses. Even in Central Jersey we saw the big blue green lights from Manhattan last night. :eek: A spectacular and frightening sight.

Through my iPhone and a Walkman radio (remember those?) I learned of the devastation in New Jersey and New York. Jersey Shore will never be the same.

My thoughts are with anyone affected. Stay safe!

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to attempt the 2hr bus ride into the city tomorrow. Urrrgh. :scream:

My friend who lives in the UWS (walking distance to my job) says I can stay with her for a couple of days.

26. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

My brother in so jersey has his power back. Surprised they got it back, they were told it wouldn't be until the 5th of nov. My parents in Cleveland do not have power back. They are bunking with me in the meantime.

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Some power back in Bergen County, New Jersey but not in my neighborhood. PSE&G said four transformers exploded during the storm in my town and wires are still hanging loose all over the place.

28. GarrAarghHrumph

Still no power or phones at my work in Bergen County, NJ. For the first time ever, my work is cancelled, but my husband has to go.

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

30. GarrAarghHrumph

I'm thinking her best option is bus. Amtrack just said it's restoring some service from points south to Newark, NJ; and from points north to Boston. However, there is no service into or out of NYC. NYC Penn is flooded. They do not have a forecast for when service will be restored.

There are commuter buses running to and from NYC, so that may be an option for her.

Lacey and (deleted member) like this.