Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Oct 26, 2012.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I filled my gas tank yesterday (gas prices always go up after a hurricane). I'll be going out later this morning to buy enough groceries to last for a while. And I'm obsessively watching The Weather Channel.

Good luck to everyone already in the path of the hurricane and to those of us who most likely will be in a few days.

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I think it hits us on Monday/Tuesday (I'm in Central NJ). Generators are selling out like mad around here. Our basement floods with rain, so I'm expecting to be bailing. Spending time this weekend to put away lawn furniture and move basement stuff up higher. Lots of old trees around my money pit. It's going to be interesting. I've got a new propane grill and a decent supply of batteries. And there's shelves full of books waiting to be read.

What will be interesting is seeing if work decides to close - our road always floods but they've only shut the office once in 7 years. :wall: That was when Irene's remnants flooded out our parking lot and the police ordered the road closed.

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Stay safe, everyone.

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

But what if your power goes out? I've thought about doing grocery shopping tomorrow, but if my power get cut off on Sunday then it'll be a waste. Maybe I'll stock up on canned goods and bottled water.

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

We're buying only enough perishables to take us through about Wednesday. So if the power goes out on Monday, we'll be fine - we'll eat them.

We have storm supplies in the basement re: canned goods, bottled water, etc. So we're just in need of a bit more water, and some snacky foods for the little one, and we're good on that end.

For stocking up, think about how you might cook if you don't have power; and then add in how you might cook if you don't have water other than what you've stored, and then buy items appropriate to those scenarios.

6. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

This should make for an interesting week next week...

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I never did get that generator I wanted so I am not getting it now. Oh well. I am going to the beach tonight to secure the moveable stuff and will come back Sunday morning if it hasn't hit yet, Monday morning if it has.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Even though the storm is well off the coast, it's very squally in Central FL.
    The upside is that it will be much cooler afterwards.
    We'll have our version of Fall!

9. Aimless

Aimless New Member

One has such a feeling of impending doom, with Sandy and the election hanging over our heads. Long Island will get something of the storm, for sure. Sigh.

10. milanessa

Went to Daytona Beach today to get concert tickets and a car full of seaweed. Coming home we stopped at Vince Carter's restaurant and they were talking about all the bridges being closed. :eek: The surf was up and the water was rough but didn't seem that bad. I'm glad we left beachside before they closed it off.

Supposed to be 39F overnight on Monday. :cheer:

11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Why did you want a car full of seaweed?

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

^Seaweed for the garden as mulch/fertilizer).

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Whoa... State of Emergency in NYS already. But, then again, we literally went through hell & high water last year with Irene & Lee, so this isn't to be unexpected.

http://m.timesunion.com/tu/db_40506/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=EQOW6rcB

14. milanessa

Yep. Just call my husband Farmer Man. Mushroom poop and seaweed and kitchen trash from seafood restaurants. :rofl:

15. firefly

firefly Member

I'm going to NYC Monday to Thursday....Does anyone know what I should expect? Should I bring some food in case the power goes out? I live in Quebec so I've never experience something like this and reading this thread made me realise it may be a bigger deal than I expected!

I'm going with a group and we have meetings all week at different places. Do you think we'll be able to go? I know it's almost impossible to predict...

Stay safe everyone!

16. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Good luck to everyone in the path of this monster storm! Stay safe!

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'd check with your group organizers asap. I was also supposed to be at a conference in NY this week, and it just got cancelled. On the phone with the airline now; the group is negotiating with the hotel.

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd definitely check with your group because travel in and out may be tricky. But if there is a storm, I'd expect you'd be fine in NY. Maybe keep a few things with you just for an emergency, but nothing keeps NYC "shut" for long. I'd worry more for the suburbs or outer borughs, but NYC generally keeps going.

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The problems will be if public transportation shuts down. The entire subway/bus system will be shut down if sustained winds reach 39 mph or higher; current forecast is 30 - 50. All outside construction must stop at 5 pm today and we are being advised to stay out of all parks from tomorrow on because of danger of falling tree limbs. Yes, NYC keeps going, but not if winds are too high, the subway system floods, etc., etc.

20. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I always make sure I have a generator in case the electricity goes out. I even have a back-up.

They are handy when the electricity goes out for a few days. Especially in the winter.

Does anyone else keep a generator handy? I recommend one for emergencies.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I wanted to get a generator last year, after the Halloween snow storm knocked us out for almost a week. My husband decided that we didn't need one, that we'd never experienced a long power outage before, so... :mad:! We'll have hot water, unless the water becomes unsafe. We have gas hot water heater. We also have a gas cooktop, but the ovens are electric. Hopefully, it won't get as cold as it was last year, we won't have heat.

NJ has also declared a state of emergency.

Milanessa, are you all okay in FL?

22. firefly

firefly Member

Thanks everyone! I'll check with the group to see if we have a plan. We'll depend on the subway so I hope everything is ok...We'll leave Montreal on Sunday night so we should be ok for Monday but Tuesday might be a problem...

The thing is the hotel is in the Upper West Side and all our meetings are near the UN. I guess we'll have to figure it out as we go!

23. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Is there any possible way you can cancel this trip?

24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

There is a high probability that subway service will be shut down starting at 7PM Sunday night. Based on current forecast, the city is going to be a mess on Monday. If at all possible, stay home and don't come. If you can cancel the trip, please do. (Not that we NYers don't want you to visit, but it looks like it will be a real mess here.)

25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Went to the hardware/lumber store today. Rusty basement bilco door top now reinforced with some decent wood so there's no more gaping holes where water can come in. Took forever and I wound up using duct tape to get it finished. Also got a pane of glass to replace a broken basement window. Glass didn't fit, so it was duct tape to the rescue again. :shuffle: I have hundreds of dollars worth of power tools and it seems that duct tape is the only thing that helps this place. :p

Halloween decorations, lawn furniture, and garbage and recycling cans put away in the barn. All laundry done too - I don't want to be without clean clothes if we lose power. Dog's water bowl has a 2 gallon topper, it's filled. Propane and grill ready to go.

I think I'm most bummed about the winds. We've had such a beautiful fall here and the trees are spectacular.

26. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I would check if your flight has been cancelled first - there is an excellent chance you won't even be able to get to NYC - let alone get the subway!!

27. milanessa

My part of Florida is doing fine. A little windy, beaches closed to swimming and it's cooled down a lot but no problems. It's you guys up north I'm worried about.

Stay safe everyone! That's an order. ;)

We have a small generator but have thought about having a whole house generator installed. It will probably be beaucoup :bribe: though since I'd want to bury the propane tank. Two of our neighbors had it done after Charley and I'm always jealous if we lose power for even a couple of hours and I can hear them humming along. :lol:

28. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Here's the NYT site with their plans to close transit services beginning Sunday, 7pm. Not final yet, but it's gonna happen.

http://www.mta.info/

29. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I am going to a conference in Williamsburg tomorrow through Wednesday. Looks like tomorrow is just rain, the worst will be Monday, then by Wednesday it's fine for my drive home. I was thinking it might be cancelled, but it has not.

30. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Please stay safe everyone and check in here when you can! I always worry about the folks here when bad weather is heading anyone's direction and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Sending lots of *HUGS* your way! :)