Hurricane Sandy and Skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by victoriaheidi, Oct 29, 2012.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir
    Thank you @PSEGnews for getting our power back on! Thanks to your employees for working so tirelessly for everyone. ��

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Just found out through IFS Magazine on FB that the Family Skating Tribute has been relocated to Phoenix, AZ 11/11. While I am glad the show wasn't cancelled, I think this is extremely unfair to the sk8 fans in the Mid Atlantic Region who bought tickets to this event. Why couldn't TPTB have considered other venues in the mid Atlantic (Wells Fargo Center - Phila., PA), Sovereign Center, Reading, PA, The Giant Center (Hershey, PA), The Sun Bank Arena (Trenton, NJ), or the IZOD Center in Northern NJ? I realize that venues have their schedule of other sporting events booked, but couldn't they have at least tried to relocate the show in a venue within a reasonable traveling distance for fans in the mid Atlantic?

3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Yes it would had been wonderful if the show could had been postponed until the power is back on and the roads passable. Then the organizers could had seeked out a new venue in this area. Most events in this area have been cancelled due to the scope of the natural disaster. I suggest you contact the promoter to find out why the show has to go on this week and only this week.

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ I absolutely will be doing this!

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

This show is due to air on NBC on November 18th. I'd suspect that may have something to do with why it had to go on this week, but in an alternative location.

6. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Is Sectionals still on? I can't imagine this has been easy for the skaters at any level, but especially for lower-level skaters.

7. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Yes, USFS has confirmed that Eastern Sectionals is on.

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir-Voronov
    ‏@JohnnyGWeir
    Thank you Skateorama of Monsey, NY for sheltering me, @brezinamichal, @Dmonty89 and #NPopova as we prepare for competitions. You rock! ��

10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The Ice Vault in Wayne, NJ will reopen tomorrow.

11. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

McKayIce Rink in Englewood, NJ closed due to structural damage, entire rink was redone and set for grand reopening next week after long debate over funding for renovations. Part of roof torn off in storm, building declared unsafe.

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

The NBC air date for the show was (and still is, I assume) scheduled for 11/18. I'm guessing they wanted to try to make it available in time for NBC to show it in that time slot, and even an additional week may not have been enough time to get things back to normal in AC so I guess they decided to move it elsewhere. It's possible they may have tried other mid-Atlantic locations and they were booked, so they went out to Phoenix, which BTW is where the next show is.

I agree, it's a bit disappointing since I was planning to go as well. But at least they made the decision far enough in advance that I was able to cancel hotel bookings for a full refund. And they'll refund our ticket purchases as well. On one hand, I'm glad they were able to do the show in the end; on the other, disappointed that it's no longer accessible from my location.