Hurricane Irene

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenna, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It's comin', folks. Hang on tight! I can't believe we're getting this the same week as a 5.8 earthquake. What are the chances??

http://www.weather.com/ - Acording to this website, Irene will make landfall in North Carolina and continue up the coast through Eastern Virginia as a Category 3 Hurricane. Please stay safe down there, guys! :eek: :yikes:

From there it looks like it will hit Maryland, Delaware, Eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, and all of New England as a Category 2 Hurricane, before tapering off into a tropical storm.

This has the potential to cause way more damage than anything caused by the earthquake. My mom keeps calling me. She wants us to drive to Western PA and wait out the storm to stay safe. I don't know what to do. I don't want to take such extreme precautions like that, only to have the storm go out to sea. It's confusing. :confused:

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Be safe.

3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

4. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Some of the rain bands from Irene are giving us a deluge right now & have been doing so off and on for most of the day. This pattern should continue for most of the day & into tonight.

The forecast for tomorrow is for near record temps - heat index at or over 105 F - along with 30% chance of afternoon showers.

Hopefully, this thing will go to sea. Unfortunately all of the forecasting models have it going into NC then CT or RI & dieing in Quebec or points north. Good luck to all the folks to the north of us. Get ready now or evacuate if needed. This thing is wet, windy, huge & merciless.

NJL

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Moms always worry, it's their job. If you have the means and can leave, I would, but I'm a worry wart. I aways expect the end of the world when it rains. I think it comes from seeing too, many tornadoes in the mid-west.

If you do decide to stay, get enough food, water, batteries and essentials for a few days and stay as safe as you can.

6. Rukia

Rukia Active Member

I am not a meteorologist, but I do love the weather. I am also a member of a message board with numerous meteorologists and weather enthusiasts. They have all said if you can get out you should. Otherwise shelter somewhere safe, and be prepared for massive and prolonged power outages. Even if Irene does not have the intensity they say, a major concern is the storm surge. Like other storms (Ike, Katrina), this storm is huge and can push a lot more water than the intensity would seem to indicate.

Now can it recurve and miss everything? Sure. Anything is possible with the weather. I have seen a lot of concern by the professional mets over there though. If it were my family I would be telling them to leave as well.

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I live in South Florida. It's passing us as we speak ....

8. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

My mother in law in flying in tonight from New Jersey. Good timing! My husband remembers Gloria in 1985, it looks like a similar path to that one.

9. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Living in North Carolina, but in Charlotte. We are enough inland that we should get a little wind and rain. My thoughts are with those much closer to the path.

10. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'm in Raleigh. We'll probably get rain and some stronger winds, but not hurricane force. Usually they slow down quite a bit once they hit land, so it may not be as strong once it gets beyond NC. Stay safe, all!

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Wilmington and the local islands are buckling down -- a seasonal high tide already causes some localized street flooding in Carolina Beach without the hurricane, so depending on when Irene swings by could make a big difference. I'm hoping that the winds don't drive a lot of water up the Cape Fear river -- between that and the winds quite a few properties suffered more damage upriver than did properties down at the island in one of the last big hurricanes. They've already had to rescue a number of folks from really bad riptides today -- apparently people either don't understand or are thrill seekers, since they've been warning about the riptides for quite some time. My sister is ready to evac if necessary.

I wonder if they're going to evacuate the Rockaways, Long Beach, Gilgo and Fire Island areas of Long Island? None of these areas has much protection, and they're going to have to start early if they need to evacuate given the constraints.

At least coastal NC is quite experienced with evacuations -- I'm a lot more worried about the NYC area on that front, and particularly what is being done to provide possible shelters for people with animals, and transport that will also handle the elderly, disabled people, and pets.

12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

NYC area is used to high winds and storm surge. They get northeasters in the winter.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Which board do you post at? I post at Storm2K a lot.

14. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

other weather is also coming in to the Carolinas from the west. Please be safe.

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

My brother looked at what was predicted for his area Sunday/Monday (Westchester Co.) and said "I've slept through hurricanes stronger than THAT." People who've lived in Florida are apparently hard to impress....

16. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

It went through Puerto Rico Sunday night/Monday morning when it was a tropical storm/borderline hurricane. Let me tell you, the tail end of this thing is massive and incredibly nasty. We got over 22 inches of rain in a day. And it's only bigger and stronger now.

So if you can get out, do. And be safe.

17. BigB08822

Puerto Rico was in the tail of the hurricane! I saw that on radar. The rain was just coming non stop. When Hurricane Ike hit it made landfall around Beaumont, TX. I live 3 hours East in Baton Rouge, LA but we got much more rain they they did near the center because we got stuck in the tail. It just sat over us and kept coming up from the Gulf. Not a good place to be. Winds weren't bad but flooding was awful.

18. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I have an adrenaline junkie friend in FL who is taking a 12 hour flight into the eye of Irene tomorrow morning. He's nuts.

Everyone please be safe. They're talking about closing my husband's company on Monday and I'll certainly be working from home if it's really that bad.

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Good grief. I don't get people like that. My brother's blase, but that's because he's been through Florida evacuations and what's likely to hit where he is will be little by comparison. Actively going INTO a storm? Nuts.

20. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

My brother lives in Williamsburg, VA and his law school has decided to close Friday and Monday already. I talked him into coming up to the DC area tomorrow evening, since I don't think it will be as bad here. We are a couple of West Coast kids and hurricane newbies, so we're not really sure how to handle this. :)

21. BigB08822

There is only one thing you need in the event a hurricane is coming. ALCOHOL. Lots of it.

J/K Kinda...:shuffle:

22. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Thank you! Appreciate the concern.

I moved here the week Hurricane Hugo hit. Went with friends to a grocery store that was using generators for the frozen and chilled sections and hand cranking the registers. We positioned one guy (with cart) in the checkout line. it wrapped around the inside wall of the store...twice. The rest of us ran up and down the aisle, like we were on "Supermarket Sweep". Bread and milk were gone, as were candles, and charcoal. I stocked up on cereal. A woman asked me why, since there was no milk. I asked her if she'd ever eaten dry cereal before. Once she thought about it, she grabbed 4 boxes.

23. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

They're predicting massive power outages in the NY/NJ area as the hurricane plows on through. I have well water and so with no electricity, I have no water---that means no bathing, and no flushing toilets. I went out today and bought lots of water.

I am VERY worried about my daughter and her family (husband and two kids under 5) who are in the Hamptons on LI visiting friends. I called her last night and urged her to return to her apartment in NY ASAP, but she pooh-poohed my concerns. She said she isn't going to leave until Saturday, and that could put her stuck in a massive traffic jam heading out of the Island into the city just as the hurricane starts to hit. My son couldn't convince her to leave either. :(

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm guessing that the liquor store is probably going to be the first stop he wants to make when I pick him up tomorrow night. :lol:

25. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Fill all bathtubs and any buckets you have, too.

26. BigB08822

Yes, if you have well water then fill any and all bathtubs! You can use that water to refill the tank of your toilet so you still have a working toilet.

27. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

You may have the power out for a couple of days, so stock up on food and entertainment. The biggest problem in the DC area is always traffic. Stay off the roads if you can. Downed trees and powerlines, no traffic lights, and overflowing creeks and sewers will make driving hazardous if the storm hits as predicted.

28. terisalyn

terisalyn New Member

I'm in Williamsburg, VA right now, and going home to Newport News tomorrow. I think NY-NJ-PA are in for worse than VA will get, because they've had a LOT more rain than we have over the past month. The saturated ground means more flooding, and more trees down, so more power lines down. In 2003, when Isabelle hit here, the main issue was that we'd had so much rain in the few weeks preceding the hurricane, trees were all ready to fall!

Check your local government sites for storm surge maps, and if you're in a flood-prone area, prepare or evacuate.

29. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

If you can, go. Better be safe than sorry.

Along with these, if you have a top-loading washing machine, set it to the highest level and fill it with cold water on the soak option. I should note though, that if you fill your tub and washing machine with extra water, don't use it for drinking water. Use it for flushing and general washing.

30. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think we're going to. You're right - better to be safe even if it does mean dropping some $$ at a hotel. Our biggest concern is the power outages. A few hours are OK, but when you're talking about a day or days without power, that gets really scary.