Hungarian Skating News

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by igniculus, May 6, 2008.

1. shah

shah Shhh...

Granny :cheer:. and her monster 3lutz (if landed ;))!
    can we also unretire Dia Poth? :p
    and Diva Nora, for sure! such a wasted talent!

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Her Finnish Quickstep was one of my favorites with great performance quality. It's the perfect season for her to come back.

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

just to question with whom :cool::hat1:

4. shah

shah Shhh...

with La Khokh! or Emily Samuelson ;).

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh please, dare you mentioning both in one breathtake :D

6. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

As far as I know, Júlia is qiute very content coaching the little ones and starting her own skating school and having a handful of promising kids. I have nothing on Dorofjev, but I have a feeling that even the :skandal politiking fed would have a very hard time to convince them for a return. :)

Yes, patriotic they (okay, we) are. Most probably lots of pressure will be on the dancers to perform, especially how last time Sebestyén won Euros, when it was in Hungary. As there are still no word on the organizing, no venue, no tickets sales or prices (which might be outrageously high), no application form for potential volunteers, no marketing, not a mention even on their own official website. Most people, even those who watch casually, has no idea a big championship will be held in Budapest in a few months, just a couple of weeks before the Olympics; attendance might be catastrophic. Ten years ago though there were times when people were sitting on the stairs and they were selling standing tickets too, just to satisfy the demand (but of course that was the ladies final.) It really is a big question mark right now. If they happen to conjure up someone promising, the public will be behind them, cheering loudly and visibly with huge flags. Otherwise…

Right now there are not only no top 10 skaters, but no male skaters to speak of at all, for example. There is Kristóf Forgó, who practices well and beautifully and competes terribly, and there is Márton Markó, who has some jumps, but not much else.

The ladies might be interesting, but not before the season after next, when the little hopeful girls - Ivett Tóth, Kloé Rozgonyi, Georgina Kántor and probably also Eszter Kósa will be old enough for senior. But then again, anything can happen, and all of them are so young, that you can never tell. Fanni Forgó (Kristóf's older sister) was just as promising as a tiny gal as they are. Ivett I guess is already feeling the pressure to be the Next Big Thing in the Hungarian scene, and one can only hope that it won't burden her much. Right now it's only Pavuk, and Pavuk only, with a chance to redeem herself one last time, after she had been saying for years how her training conditions were horrible, and having to share the ice with the junior team (which is 3 girls), and practising being all but impossible.

Then there is the more-or-less virtual pair, whom we have never even seen, just had heard about how they are training and will be ready sometime at a not specified future date. They have the full support of the fan community though, just as Kristóf Trefil and his partner-do-jour had in the two years of their existence. (Actually most competitors do have the fan support, with the glaring exception of the Chiappa sisters, and Kati Hadford to a lesser amount, who all got their share of flaming next to the love.)

And the dancers are just depressing: there are the two senior couples, who both seem very much satisfied and happy with everything they do, which is a good thing, I guess, :sekret: and they spend lots of energy and time bitching about each other behind their backs and smiling a lot at each other at the rink, which is not so good. And of course there is the bitterness and disappointment of Diva Nóra, who might want to continue (she says that time to time), but really doesn't have a glimmer of hope. I know that there are a few upcoming junior dance couples, but I haven't seen anything special just yet, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I have just read this article, it has been published in January and it says that the European Championships may not be held in Budapest. Two cities that would like to apply for hosting them are Bolzano and Barcelona. Do you know if these may just be rumours or if there's the possibility of Budapest not hosting Euros anymore? The articles cites lack of money as the reason.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

ISU Communication No. 1797, published on June 18, 2013, confirmed on page 2 that 2014 Euros will take place in Budapest: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4529
    Reportedly the venue in Budapest has changed... maybe someone who knows more can post the latest update?

9. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

There are just some short news releases in the Hungarian press about this, saying that the ISU has accepted a change of venue and the event will be hosted by another arena (Syma Center). Btw, the new venue is basically right next door to the old venue, so for those planning to come, this should not affect accomodation plans, etc.

10. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

many thanks for the news!

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yes, everything is within walking distance. I'd suggest the Hotel Danubius Arena for folks traveling to Budapest for these championships. It is a nice large (full service) hotel very close to the arena complex, next to a major Metro station. The only downer is that it's not too close to the beautiful famous sites on the Danube but, of couse, we fans like to spend our time at the arena with practices & competition, rather than sightseeing. For anyone wanting to take time-off from the arena, the Metro conveniently takes you to the sites. (Insider tip: make a little time - half day, at least - to savour one of Budapest's lovely thermal baths, such as Sechenyi Baths in the City Park, not far from the beautiful outdoor skating rink.)

12. Poggi

some Europeans news for you:

there definitely will be a website though of course is not up and running just yet: http://www.efsc2014.com

ticket sales will start in October, most probably in the beginning. they will be sold through TicketPro (http://www.ticketpro.hu) and the website does have a decent English version.

still no word on the prices.

I know it's not that much, but still better than nothing, right?

npavel and (deleted member) like this.
  13. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Anybody who has booked or is looking to book flights to Budapest etc should note that the pairs free will take place at 11am on the Sunday morning before the gala! They've really changed the schedule around:

15 Jan (Wed)
    10.30 Ladies SP
    17.30 SD

16 Jan (Thu)
    11.45 Men SP
    18.25 FD

17 Jan (Fri)
    13.30 Pairs SP
    17.50 Ladies FS

18 Jan (Sat)
    12.05 Men FS

19 Jan (Sun)
    11.00 Pairs FS
    15.00 Gala

14. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^Thanks for the info.

I don't think I like this schedule :wuzrobbed

Oh well.

Still fingers crossed I can make it.

15. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

A weird schedule:eek:
    OTOH, pairs are my favourite part of the competition, so I don´t mind it being the last one, but I guess some skaters will throw a :drama:because the competition is held at morning, as is PS.

16. allezfred

No partying on Saturday night for the pairs.

17. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Allezfred, do you have a link for the schedule?

18. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Ah, direct flights for only 150 € (mind you, that is a find AND a bargain flying anywhere from Helsinki) for Tue night - Sun night.... I'm so tempted to book right away... :shuffle:

Is Saturday night after men's enough for sightseeing? There's also a bit of time on Friday morning before pairs.

As in Trankov? :p

19. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Hanna, I did not mention any names...:p

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is so unfair to them. :drama:

21. allezfred

It's a PDF file on the ISU website's schedule page. I think it's called "First Information".

22. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot :)
    I guess they organized the schedule in this way so that there would be just one final every day.

23. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I think this schedule is so wired, but last year we had men's final and ladies final the same day and I was really exhausted on Saturday evening.
    This year I plan to be there one day before, I love to come to Budapest, can't wait

24. Poggi

It depends on how much you would like to see. The City Park area (Városliget) is quite close to the arenas/official hotels, and that hosts the big guns, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Art Gallery, also the Zoo (which is huge) and there is Heroes' Square, which for some weird reason seems to attract tourists, but I never found it interesting at all - it is huge though, and has big statues of - you guessed it! - the greatest heroes of Hungarian history.

If you want to see some other stuff too, then you would want to have half a day free - the city centre is pretty albeit dirty and mostly smells, there are museums of various sizes and topics, a pretty impressive Basilica, all within walking distance, there are also some voidy eateries around. The Castle is one thing I wouldn't miss (it's free to wander inside the courts, and there are some museums in there, and there is a funicular ride, which is pretty awesome (and funny thing: it cost more uphill). If it's not too couldy/foggy and the roads are not insanely slippery you should risk climbing up to Gellérthegy (a hill we call a mountain, but that's just bragging in our part) from where you can get the most amazing panorama of the whole city, but for the latter two you have to cross the river, but to be honest, Buda is pretty boring and quiet apart from these attractions - but then again, those two would take at least two, two and a half hours even if you walk in a reasonable pace and don't dawdle much.

And of course Budapest is the city of thermal baths, and the most famous one is Széchényi which is located also in the City Park area, and it's really cool, the open air part of it is open all year through and if it snows you can just float on your back and watch the snowflakes melt into steam just a few feet above you. But there are also about a dozen other baths, some of them cheaper, some of them are pretty expensive - Széchényi among them -, but any of those would need a few hours to experience. (Some also has timed tickets, which expire in 2 or 3 hours.)

You also should keep in mind that most museums and whatnots close early, so if you plan on that kind of sightseeing, one night probably won't be enough. But if you are into walking in the city and stumbling upon serendepitiously on random prettiness, then a Budapest night is exactly what you are looking for, it looks amazing at night, especially on the banks of the Danube.

Okay, that turned into one seriously offtopic post, sorry about that.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Poggi, would you like to start a new 2014 Euros/Budapest planning and info thread in GSD? :)

26. allezfred

Széchényi baths is on my to do list this time! :D

27. Poggi

Yeah, well, I guess I could. I'm thinking about it. :)

28. lala

lala Well-Known Member

29. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Poggi (and other local posters) - can I ask you my signature question? :p Are there any areas where I don't want to book my accommodation considering that the skating events tend to end after 10-11 pm and I want to walk back safely?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  30. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Oh what a BEAUTIFUL city to host a skating event. How I wish I could go. They should host WORLDS there once again.