Hungarian Skating News

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by igniculus, May 6, 2008.

1. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I wish so much that Nora can continue and find a good partner, her ice dancing Trankov! She should have won at least Euro medals.
    Közönöm, Shaba22!

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I feel quite bad for the both of them. Max is obviously frustrated, based on what you wrote, money seems to be an issue for both of them... It's too bad. I wish them both the best of luck.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They may have gotten 1 GP, but they were close to the top of the alternates list and would have gotten a second.

4. Shaba22

Shaba22 New Member

This is a new tv-interview with Nora Hoffmann and Viktoria Pavuk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxWQAPMaGM

The situation about Nora & Max is unchanged. Max is now training skaters in Moscow. Nora live in Budapest. (She is training kids as I know, but she doesn't say anything about it.)
    There is a new situation right now, because elected a new skating federation, and maybe they want to sponsor Nora & Max.
    Max said, he has no agenda at the continuing... :(
    Nora would like to skate in EC 2014, Budapest. But now, she is waiting for the decision of the federation.
    Max - in my opinion - don't want to continue, if there is money, or not. :(
    So, so sad.

Viktoria said, that she doesn't receive enough support as well. But she tried to survive and skating till 2014. She wants to be again in the top10 at the EC 2012.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nora should look for a new partner asap. She could still achieve success if she found somebody decent.

6. sbanet

sbanet Well-Known Member

ITA!!! :glamor: :kickass:

If the Hungarian Fed is shopping, I'll put in a request :bribe: for He-Hubbell :psoty: ;)

7. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

top 10 at europeans? these are really high aims; i really cannot see her anywhere close to that place after her performances last season but maybe she surprises us or hope is the last to die :)

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She obviously won't be top 10 but she might as well continue given there's sadly no better skaters rising up the ranks in Hungary.

I mean there's her, Kati I-can't-rotate-anything-ever and Padar who seems to be going backward each season and no promising Juniors. :/

9. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Kati and Bianka are likely retired, as far as I've heard, I could be mistaken though...

10. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

They did.

according to :sekret: there will be a test skate for Viktória this Saturday to decide, who is going to Worlds, as Chelsea wants to go too, and her being the Hungarian champion, and Viki coming off of an injury, her wish is not that unreasonable. As Chelsea is back in the US (I think), only Viktória will skate.

I have no other details though.

11. AKISIN

AKISIN New Member

12. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

ok, giving my best, sometimes it was really hard, sorry guys:D

Nora & Maxim decided after Euros, that they would like to compete again, but they just wil start training if they get support from the hungarian fedaration.
    (now difficult: they seem to have to train at cold rinks and don´t have enough time)

at europeans nora realized, she really misses competetive skating and once again bids maksim to come back.

then their history is mentioned: they started to skate togetehr 2007, aiming 3 national titles, europeans 8th and worlds 10th finishes.
    13th at olympics and reaching the grand prix finale, hoffmann/zavozin (so it´s said) have come closer to the worlds best ice dance couple and it would have been only a matter of time for them to medal.

after that nora became ill and maksim started not to tolerate the bad circumstances they have to skate.
    nora mentioned that they never know how much support they could get from the federation, there was no money, frozen rinks (-25 celsius), no wonder she got her injury.

zavozin now lives in moscow, working as a coach for small kids, is on the ice 5,6 times a week but now is far away of a competetive form.
    it´s compared to 'sleeping beauty'. his doctors mentioned, his body feels like sleeping, after he quits competing.
    he mentioned, he doesn´t exercise much, although he is on the ice every day.

then they watched euros and were quite disappointed about the quality of the ice dance. they couldn´t see any personality in the ice dance teams despite the french and didn´t like the choreos of the other teams. they had the feeling they could become winner (not in a medal way) if they had just skated their (in their opinion) great programs.

this was the moment, when maxim too, has the will, too, to come back, if they find the right coach and if they get the right support from the hungarian federation.

they will loose the world ranking points and therefore will get no grand prix spot next year (they´re thinking), that´s why they wanted to start at the b-seniors-competitions in september. they are n progress now,, wanted to start really workign in may but at the moment, don´t know, what really will happen.

no high official of the national federation talked to them, they seem to have more important things to do, although they tried really hard.

before nora was mentioned to skate under the russian flag, but there were rules, where a skate switches nationality once, he couldn´t do it again, so there was no way to maksim to follow her.

maksim paid a 10 million forinth for naturelization. there were afterwards other partners proposed for hoffmann, but he as world junior champ wnated to skate with her, but he doesen´t want to accept everything now.

the possibility to train in the us is really small, because it´s too far away of their family, too expensive for the national federation and nt good for the couple, if they train at home, that their coach is many many miles away.
    so they will search for a russian coach.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  13. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Thank you for your translation, Jeschke!

Their situation really sounds very frustrating for them but at least it seems like they are somewhat motivated to keep skating. I hope they find a way via the federation or sponsors. What is the likelihood that the Hungarian federation will help anyways?
    It sounds like they tried asking for their help and didn't get very far. Very sad situation for them.
    I only saw them skate once. I think it was their "witchy" program at a grand prix a couple of seasons ago. But I really liked them! It would be a shame if they could no longer skate when they still have the desire to do so...

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many thanks, Jeschke!

10 million forint = ~ $45K (today).

15. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

Just a small correction (and thank you Jeschke for the translation, very much appreciated), the 10 million huf/$45k was paid by the federation not Maxim.
    Also I hate to say this but maybe Nora needs to change her attitude a tiny bit too, she says about the federation that she hasn't talked to them for months and won't "force" things with them because "now it's their turn to call"... Not that I'm a fan of the Hungarian fed, but really, with that attitude what does she expect...

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

When they first paired up, there were posts to say that Zavozin had to reimburse the money.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Yes - Maks is expected to pay back that money.

18. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

True, you guys are right, I forgot about that.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Copying over Nora Hoffman/Max Zavozin updates posted in the "From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season" thread:

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  20. Shaba22

Shaba22 New Member

21. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

If she goes to Zagreb she'll meet her ex partner Bruno Massot ;)

22. Poggi

Viktória Pavuk announced her retirement a few days ago, incidentally just a few days before Nationals. (The whole affair went so silently that I don't think anyone noticed it immediately. Anyway, here is the official announcement at the Hungarian Federation's site, and while Google does give a decent translation, I can just summarize the deal:

The article mentions, that she was 4th in Euros 2004, and that she started skating when she was 3.

'Starting this season I won't enter any competitions' said Pavuk (26) 'but I won't be far away from skating. I will perform in exhibitions, the last time I went to the opening of the Óbuda [public outdoor seasonal] rink, and in February I will go to Quatar, and I can always join revues if I missed the ice too much.'

She mentions that she is very proud to be Hungarian Champion in 2011 and of course the Europeans 4th place, and she is just as proud of her bronze medals from the Junior Grand Prix Final and her participation in the 2006 Turin Olympics. [She mentions much more, but you know, that's what Wikipedia is for.]

She has a new career path ready, she says: 'I graduated from a media school and four months ago I started working as a reporter in a cultural TV channel. I'd like to be up to the task and succeed in that walk of life too.'

23. Poggi

Newsflash: Pavuk decided to un-retire, with the Hungarian Fed realizing they have no entries in any discipline apart from the ice dance couple in next year's Budapest Europeans. They promised better training conditions to Pavuk, and she reported to land under-rotated double Axels and triple Salchows after only three practices, and she is surprised how steady she feels on the ice after missing a year. She will start the season in Nebelhorn, though an Olympic berth is not expected of her, only a qualification to Euros.

summarized and paraphrased from here: http://www.nemzetisport.hu/egyeb_egyeni/mukorcsolya-pavuk-viktoria-ujra-versenyezni-fog-2244095

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Best of luck to pavuk. She has nothing to lose :)

25. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Excited to hear this about Viktoria Pavuk. She's had a very long career and it's wonderful to see her come back for another go!

26. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Yay.

Can they revive Dorofejev and Sebestyen as well please?:)

27. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Will she do a "Me and Bobby McGee" Short Program?

:watch:

28. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I want Diva Nora back!!!:drama::wuzrobbed:glamor::wuzrobbed:drama:
    One of my all-time- favourite female ice dancers!

Sure podium potential at least in the Europeans!

29. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Which means that she basically is where she left off? ;-) She struggled a lot with cheated jumps. Anyway it is good that they have a lady trying to qualify for Euros. Maybe the pair will make it as well. Mariusz Siudek went there in April to work with them. It is a shame that Hungary has not any top-ten skater right now. Hopefully this won't stop spectators from coming. The Hungarian spectators are quite patriotic as I noticed at the recent European Judo Championships. But what if they have nobody to cheer for?

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Foucher/Magyar are training with Siudeks, aren't they? They competed at one or two international events this spring already. Very poor results but those were their first outings and he was away from skating for long with serious injuries. So hopefully they'll improve on that next season.