Hungarian Skating News

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by igniculus, May 6, 2008.

1. AKISIN

AKISIN New Member

2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

ok, giving my best, sometimes it was really hard, sorry guys:D

Nora & Maxim decided after Euros, that they would like to compete again, but they just wil start training if they get support from the hungarian fedaration.
    (now difficult: they seem to have to train at cold rinks and don´t have enough time)

at europeans nora realized, she really misses competetive skating and once again bids maksim to come back.

then their history is mentioned: they started to skate togetehr 2007, aiming 3 national titles, europeans 8th and worlds 10th finishes.
    13th at olympics and reaching the grand prix finale, hoffmann/zavozin (so it´s said) have come closer to the worlds best ice dance couple and it would have been only a matter of time for them to medal.

after that nora became ill and maksim started not to tolerate the bad circumstances they have to skate.
    nora mentioned that they never know how much support they could get from the federation, there was no money, frozen rinks (-25 celsius), no wonder she got her injury.

zavozin now lives in moscow, working as a coach for small kids, is on the ice 5,6 times a week but now is far away of a competetive form.
    it´s compared to 'sleeping beauty'. his doctors mentioned, his body feels like sleeping, after he quits competing.
    he mentioned, he doesn´t exercise much, although he is on the ice every day.

then they watched euros and were quite disappointed about the quality of the ice dance. they couldn´t see any personality in the ice dance teams despite the french and didn´t like the choreos of the other teams. they had the feeling they could become winner (not in a medal way) if they had just skated their (in their opinion) great programs.

this was the moment, when maxim too, has the will, too, to come back, if they find the right coach and if they get the right support from the hungarian federation.

they will loose the world ranking points and therefore will get no grand prix spot next year (they´re thinking), that´s why they wanted to start at the b-seniors-competitions in september. they are n progress now,, wanted to start really workign in may but at the moment, don´t know, what really will happen.

no high official of the national federation talked to them, they seem to have more important things to do, although they tried really hard.

before nora was mentioned to skate under the russian flag, but there were rules, where a skate switches nationality once, he couldn´t do it again, so there was no way to maksim to follow her.

maksim paid a 10 million forinth for naturelization. there were afterwards other partners proposed for hoffmann, but he as world junior champ wnated to skate with her, but he doesen´t want to accept everything now.

the possibility to train in the us is really small, because it´s too far away of their family, too expensive for the national federation and nt good for the couple, if they train at home, that their coach is many many miles away.
    so they will search for a russian coach.
    geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  3. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Thank you for your translation, Jeschke!

Their situation really sounds very frustrating for them but at least it seems like they are somewhat motivated to keep skating. I hope they find a way via the federation or sponsors. What is the likelihood that the Hungarian federation will help anyways?
    It sounds like they tried asking for their help and didn't get very far. Very sad situation for them.
    I only saw them skate once. I think it was their "witchy" program at a grand prix a couple of seasons ago. But I really liked them! It would be a shame if they could no longer skate when they still have the desire to do so...
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many thanks, Jeschke!

10 million forint = ~ $45K (today).
  5. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

Just a small correction (and thank you Jeschke for the translation, very much appreciated), the 10 million huf/$45k was paid by the federation not Maxim.
    Also I hate to say this but maybe Nora needs to change her attitude a tiny bit too, she says about the federation that she hasn't talked to them for months and won't "force" things with them because "now it's their turn to call"... Not that I'm a fan of the Hungarian fed, but really, with that attitude what does she expect...
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

When they first paired up, there were posts to say that Zavozin had to reimburse the money.
  7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Yes - Maks is expected to pay back that money.
  8. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

True, you guys are right, I forgot about that.
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Copying over Nora Hoffman/Max Zavozin updates posted in the "From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season" thread:
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  10. Shaba22

Shaba22 New Member

11. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

If she goes to Zagreb she'll meet her ex partner Bruno Massot ;)
  12. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

Viktória Pavuk announced her retirement a few days ago, incidentally just a few days before Nationals. (The whole affair went so silently that I don't think anyone noticed it immediately. Anyway, here is the official announcement at the Hungarian Federation's site, and while Google does give a decent translation, I can just summarize the deal:

The article mentions, that she was 4th in Euros 2004, and that she started skating when she was 3.

'Starting this season I won't enter any competitions' said Pavuk (26) 'but I won't be far away from skating. I will perform in exhibitions, the last time I went to the opening of the Óbuda [public outdoor seasonal] rink, and in February I will go to Quatar, and I can always join revues if I missed the ice too much.'

She mentions that she is very proud to be Hungarian Champion in 2011 and of course the Europeans 4th place, and she is just as proud of her bronze medals from the Junior Grand Prix Final and her participation in the 2006 Turin Olympics. [She mentions much more, but you know, that's what Wikipedia is for.]

She has a new career path ready, she says: 'I graduated from a media school and four months ago I started working as a reporter in a cultural TV channel. I'd like to be up to the task and succeed in that walk of life too.'
  13. Poggi

Newsflash: Pavuk decided to un-retire, with the Hungarian Fed realizing they have no entries in any discipline apart from the ice dance couple in next year's Budapest Europeans. They promised better training conditions to Pavuk, and she reported to land under-rotated double Axels and triple Salchows after only three practices, and she is surprised how steady she feels on the ice after missing a year. She will start the season in Nebelhorn, though an Olympic berth is not expected of her, only a qualification to Euros.

summarized and paraphrased from here: http://www.nemzetisport.hu/egyeb_egyeni/mukorcsolya-pavuk-viktoria-ujra-versenyezni-fog-2244095
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Best of luck to pavuk. She has nothing to lose :)
  15. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Excited to hear this about Viktoria Pavuk. She's had a very long career and it's wonderful to see her come back for another go!
  16. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Yay.

Can they revive Dorofejev and Sebestyen as well please?:)
  17. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Will she do a "Me and Bobby McGee" Short Program?

:watch:
  18. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I want Diva Nora back!!!:drama::wuzrobbed:glamor::wuzrobbed:drama:
    One of my all-time- favourite female ice dancers!

Sure podium potential at least in the Europeans!
  19. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Which means that she basically is where she left off? ;-) She struggled a lot with cheated jumps. Anyway it is good that they have a lady trying to qualify for Euros. Maybe the pair will make it as well. Mariusz Siudek went there in April to work with them. It is a shame that Hungary has not any top-ten skater right now. Hopefully this won't stop spectators from coming. The Hungarian spectators are quite patriotic as I noticed at the recent European Judo Championships. But what if they have nobody to cheer for?
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Foucher/Magyar are training with Siudeks, aren't they? They competed at one or two international events this spring already. Very poor results but those were their first outings and he was away from skating for long with serious injuries. So hopefully they'll improve on that next season.
  21. shah

shah Well-Known Member

Granny :cheer:. and her monster 3lutz (if landed ;))!
    can we also unretire Dia Poth? :p
    and Diva Nora, for sure! such a wasted talent!
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Her Finnish Quickstep was one of my favorites with great performance quality. It's the perfect season for her to come back.
  23. Jeschke

just to question with whom :cool::hat1:
  24. shah

shah Well-Known Member

with La Khokh! or Emily Samuelson ;).
  25. Jeschke

oh please, dare you mentioning both in one breathtake :D
  26. Poggi

As far as I know, Júlia is qiute very content coaching the little ones and starting her own skating school and having a handful of promising kids. I have nothing on Dorofjev, but I have a feeling that even the :skandal politiking fed would have a very hard time to convince them for a return. :)

Yes, patriotic they (okay, we) are. Most probably lots of pressure will be on the dancers to perform, especially how last time Sebestyén won Euros, when it was in Hungary. As there are still no word on the organizing, no venue, no tickets sales or prices (which might be outrageously high), no application form for potential volunteers, no marketing, not a mention even on their own official website. Most people, even those who watch casually, has no idea a big championship will be held in Budapest in a few months, just a couple of weeks before the Olympics; attendance might be catastrophic. Ten years ago though there were times when people were sitting on the stairs and they were selling standing tickets too, just to satisfy the demand (but of course that was the ladies final.) It really is a big question mark right now. If they happen to conjure up someone promising, the public will be behind them, cheering loudly and visibly with huge flags. Otherwise…

Right now there are not only no top 10 skaters, but no male skaters to speak of at all, for example. There is Kristóf Forgó, who practices well and beautifully and competes terribly, and there is Márton Markó, who has some jumps, but not much else.

The ladies might be interesting, but not before the season after next, when the little hopeful girls - Ivett Tóth, Kloé Rozgonyi, Georgina Kántor and probably also Eszter Kósa will be old enough for senior. But then again, anything can happen, and all of them are so young, that you can never tell. Fanni Forgó (Kristóf's older sister) was just as promising as a tiny gal as they are. Ivett I guess is already feeling the pressure to be the Next Big Thing in the Hungarian scene, and one can only hope that it won't burden her much. Right now it's only Pavuk, and Pavuk only, with a chance to redeem herself one last time, after she had been saying for years how her training conditions were horrible, and having to share the ice with the junior team (which is 3 girls), and practising being all but impossible.

Then there is the more-or-less virtual pair, whom we have never even seen, just had heard about how they are training and will be ready sometime at a not specified future date. They have the full support of the fan community though, just as Kristóf Trefil and his partner-do-jour had in the two years of their existence. (Actually most competitors do have the fan support, with the glaring exception of the Chiappa sisters, and Kati Hadford to a lesser amount, who all got their share of flaming next to the love.)

And the dancers are just depressing: there are the two senior couples, who both seem very much satisfied and happy with everything they do, which is a good thing, I guess, :sekret: and they spend lots of energy and time bitching about each other behind their backs and smiling a lot at each other at the rink, which is not so good. And of course there is the bitterness and disappointment of Diva Nóra, who might want to continue (she says that time to time), but really doesn't have a glimmer of hope. I know that there are a few upcoming junior dance couples, but I haven't seen anything special just yet, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I have just read this article, it has been published in January and it says that the European Championships may not be held in Budapest. Two cities that would like to apply for hosting them are Bolzano and Barcelona. Do you know if these may just be rumours or if there's the possibility of Budapest not hosting Euros anymore? The articles cites lack of money as the reason.
  28. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

ISU Communication No. 1797, published on June 18, 2013, confirmed on page 2 that 2014 Euros will take place in Budapest: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4529
    Reportedly the venue in Budapest has changed... maybe someone who knows more can post the latest update?
  29. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

There are just some short news releases in the Hungarian press about this, saying that the ISU has accepted a change of venue and the event will be hosted by another arena (Syma Center). Btw, the new venue is basically right next door to the old venue, so for those planning to come, this should not affect accomodation plans, etc.
  30. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

many thanks for the news!
  31. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yes, everything is within walking distance. I'd suggest the Hotel Danubius Arena for folks traveling to Budapest for these championships. It is a nice large (full service) hotel very close to the arena complex, next to a major Metro station. The only downer is that it's not too close to the beautiful famous sites on the Danube but, of couse, we fans like to spend our time at the arena with practices & competition, rather than sightseeing. For anyone wanting to take time-off from the arena, the Metro conveniently takes you to the sites. (Insider tip: make a little time - half day, at least - to savour one of Budapest's lovely thermal baths, such as Sechenyi Baths in the City Park, not far from the beautiful outdoor skating rink.)
  32. Poggi

some Europeans news for you:

there definitely will be a website though of course is not up and running just yet: http://www.efsc2014.com

ticket sales will start in October, most probably in the beginning. they will be sold through TicketPro (http://www.ticketpro.hu) and the website does have a decent English version.

still no word on the prices.

I know it's not that much, but still better than nothing, right?
    npavel and (deleted member) like this.
  33. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Anybody who has booked or is looking to book flights to Budapest etc should note that the pairs free will take place at 11am on the Sunday morning before the gala! They've really changed the schedule around:

15 Jan (Wed)
    10.30 Ladies SP
    17.30 SD

16 Jan (Thu)
    11.45 Men SP
    18.25 FD

17 Jan (Fri)
    13.30 Pairs SP
    17.50 Ladies FS

18 Jan (Sat)
    12.05 Men FS

19 Jan (Sun)
    11.00 Pairs FS
    15.00 Gala
  34. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^Thanks for the info.

I don't think I like this schedule :wuzrobbed

Oh well.

Still fingers crossed I can make it.
  35. Finnice

A weird schedule:eek:
    OTOH, pairs are my favourite part of the competition, so I don´t mind it being the last one, but I guess some skaters will throw a :drama:because the competition is held at morning, as is PS.
  36. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

No partying on Saturday night for the pairs.
  37. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Allezfred, do you have a link for the schedule?
  38. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Ah, direct flights for only 150 € (mind you, that is a find AND a bargain flying anywhere from Helsinki) for Tue night - Sun night.... I'm so tempted to book right away... :shuffle:

Is Saturday night after men's enough for sightseeing? There's also a bit of time on Friday morning before pairs.

As in Trankov? :p
  39. Finnice

Hanna, I did not mention any names...:p
  40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is so unfair to them. :drama: