Hughes or Lipinski? Whose skating do you like more?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jun 8, 2013.

?

Hughes or Lipinski?

1. Sarah Hughes

40 vote(s)
    22.3%
  2. Tara Lipinski

139 vote(s)
    77.7%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I have this nightmare that Sarah Hughes will show up again somewhere and do that Bob Fosse number.

2. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I agree with this observation. I never felt like Sarah loved skating the way some of her peers did. Sure she had outside activities, and that was great, but to me it goes further than that. I read once that Robin talked her out of retiring in the summer of 2000 before she finally relented and returned to the ice. She had just finished 5th at worlds and was 2 years away from the Olympics and someone had to convince her not to retire. That seemed strange to me. Of course, there may have been more at play there.

But I disagree strongly that she had one brief shining moment. That sounds more like wishful thinking or sour grapes. I was never her fan but I saw her personally receive roaring standing ovations several times: 1999 Skate America short, 2000 Skate America long, 2001 Skate America long, 2000 nationals short and the 1999 winter proam. And by roaring, I mean most people were standing and many were hooting, hollering and stamping their feet. Then there were competitions I didn't witness in person but remember her getting big applause and/or standing ovations: 99 worlds long program, 2000 worlds short program and 2001 worlds long program. She skated many, many "clean" programs and was drowned with cheers at the end. Never a fan and never stood myself :rofl: but I remember those moments well.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  3. duane

duane New Member

IMO, this pretty much describes Michelle's programs.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't especially LIKE either, but let me put it this way: I can, without trying, REMEMBER particular skates of Tara's. I might not adore her skating, and frankly I don't think EITHER girl was especially pretty, but Lipinski had a spark and energy that made her engaging as a performer.

5. munow

munow New Member

True to some (great) degree.

6. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Relative to Tara she had only one shining moment. Tara quit at 15 and fit in Nationals Champion, 2 time Grand Prix final Champion in the same year, Olympic Champion, World Champion. All won in very memorable fashion to boot. On top of that her exciting debut in 1996 and making Worlds at only 15, and her great comeback skate at Nationals 98 after falling in the short. Sarah has nothing close to that string of memorable moments in her career. She won only 3 international events and one was a C level tournament top skaters never enter after they are 14. She never won a U.S Senior title, which Tara managed well before her driving license and would likely have managed quite a few more if she continued even with Kwan to battle, while Sarah could have continued and probably still never won her own Nationals.

7. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Tara made the Worlds team at 13 and won Worlds at 14.Sarah also made the Worlds team at 13. While Tara's eligible career was a short one, she has quite a resume.

8. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Tara at her peak beat Michelle Kwan 4 times out of 5. She was an incredible skater and the level of skater Sarah could only dream of being. She had perfect pencil jumps with great air position, rotation, ascent, descent, landing position and flow out. Her triples were even way better than Sarah, even the flutz was a way better jump overall than that thing Sarah called her triple f(lutz). She skated with great speed and assurance, and her pro routines showed her huge artistic potential. Had she continued she would have been artistically a true 5.9 skater easily by 2002.

Sarah was a good skater, and had a fine career herself, but she was no prodigy like Tara Lipinski. She went to Worlds in 1999 only due to a younger skater who beat her at Nationals being too young by the rules. Had her Olympic win not happened she probably wouldnt have ever won a bigger title than a regular grand prix, not a Nationals or Worlds ever, even if she continued skating until 2006 (or beyond which is very unlikely with COP which was bad for her skating to begin with getting tougher around then).

9. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Cannot care less, both of them. :blah: At least I was glad they've beaten kwawn when it counts ... :respec:

10. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I never understood Sarah.
    She seemed as a type of athlete that was just getting into liking what she was capable of. And that is when she turned her back to skating.
    With Tara there was never doubt where she would rather be.

11. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Does the Winter Olympics include a beauty contest?

12. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Whether or not the Olympic judges score based on beauty and looks, some fans do. Well most fans do. Michelle Kwan was repeatedly in People magazine's most beautiful people list. That I know this is sad, but it's a fact.

13. fenway2

Repeatedly? No. I think Michelle was in People's Most Beautiful Issue just once and only following a big letter campaign from her fans. I know because her fans kept emailing me a form template to send to People Magazine demanding they include her in their 1999 issue and the magazine finally did. While I love Michelle, I felt there were better ways to spend my time than accuse People of being racist if they didn't select her. :shuffle: It was Katarina Witt who was in it more than once. Lu Chen also made the issue the year she controversially lost worlds to Michelle. I too am surprised by all the references to looks when comparing which skaters were better. My two favorite skaters are Michelle and Tara. Neither was the prettiest skater of their time or is even classically pretty (countdown before an irate fan jumps in to argue but it's my opinion so :p) but they are beautiful to me for reasons that go much further than their physical looks. And the judge snever cared that they weren't the prettiest girls in the competition when they skated, so I don't know why that's even entered the debate here.

14. kwanette

That's interesting. I am as big a Kwan fan as there ever was and I never knew about any e-mail campaign to have her in People Magazine, I never received any e-mails, templates, etc.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  15. fenway2

Consider yourself lucky in that regard. I finally put filters on my AOL account to stop the insanity.

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think she got in legitimately. She also said something about having a flat butt I think in her profile.

17. fenway2

What I'm saying is that some of her crazier fans were angry she wasn't chosen for the 98 issue and campaigned tirelessly for them to include her in their 99 issue. Their barrage of emails couldn't have gone unnoticed but they didn't have to choose her so that's something. I just disagreed with those fans' tactics. I have the issue somewhere and remember the flat butt comment and that she looked gorgeous in a candlelit profile shot. :) I'm sure People didn't regret their decision one bit.

18. soogar

soogar New Member

I just recently re-watched Sarah's Olympic LP and it was a lot better than I remembered. I then watched Tara's winning program as well- I think they are very difficult to compare because at the time, Tara was a co-favorite for gold and defending world champion. She had already "grown" into her style of skating. Sarah was still developing and really didn't own her style. I also agree with you on the quality of Tara's jumps.

As for the level of competition and skating quality- I think it has gone down a lot and the level of consistency isn't there which is why Caro is in the medals with the kind of errors that she makes. I also think that under the 6.0 system there was more emphasis on a complete set of jumps. Now there seems to be more repetition in an effort to play the system and hide weaknesses. That's just my opinion based on what I saw in the ladies competition at worlds this year. I'll qualify my opinion that due to reduced television coverage and increased work load- and decreasing interest in the current crop of skaters, I don't consistently follow figure skating these days.

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It sure helped Witt get those 5.9s and 5.8s for artistic impression ;)

20. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

Gotta go with Hughes on this one, although her posture drove me nuts. I thought she was much more interesting than Tara. Also had the only illusion spin I could ever stand, and that's compared to everyone, I hate that move. Wonderful layback. Tara had zero sense of music, which I consider important to skating. Neither one of them had particularly great technique.

21. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I only remember her being in the 2000 issue because it was after she had won Worlds in Nice.

22. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

So basically, her fans instituted a letter-writing campaign to get her on a magazine. Unless one is a mega star like Brad Pitt or Matt Damon, that seems to be the best way to get a publication's attention. It's all about PR and who would help sell magazines anyway. Look at those New York Magazine's Best Doctor's of NYC. That's all the work of a publicist unless someone did something incredibly ground-breaking.

24. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Exactly. Beautiful, in this context, is someone who has generated hype in some way during the time frame of the particular People publication -- via personal achievement and/or good old-fashioned PR. Exactly the same as what goes on with the Oscars. There are all out campaigns for the Oscar candidates. It's a matter of popularity to some extent. If some fan group managed to get their favorite skater in People magazine by way of a letter-writing campaign, I'd say the skater in question was extremely popular and beloved. Best picture and most beautiful will always be a matter of taste.

O-

25. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I work with celebrities and can tell you People's Most Beautiful (and Sexiest Man/Woman Alive) issues are completely agenda-driven. They are total PR campaigns.

People also has historically had a hard time featuring minorities in these issues (they ALWAYS go to their standbys Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez).

Rabid fan letter writing or not, Michelle had accomplishments, was the biggest name in the sport, was a minority, etc. She checked many boxes.

I don't know what the big deal is...it's not like she landed the cover or anything.

For what it's worth, I think Tara and Michelle grew into their looks and both are pretty.

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I also think Sarah Hughes grew into quite a lovely young lady (That makes me sound so old and she's only less than a year younger than me, haha). Her longer brown hair is so much better for her than her Robin Wagner look.

27. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Yep to all of the above.

O-

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

What was that "Robin Wagner" look? It seemed like an attempt at Dorothy Hamillishness, and given Wagner's age perhaps it was Wagner's idea.

29. kwanette

The 2002 look was Jef Billings from the top of her head to her toes.

30. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Not her fans. Maybe her agent or USFSA.