Hughes or Lipinski? Whose skating do you like more?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jun 8, 2013.

?

Hughes or Lipinski?

1. Sarah Hughes

40 vote(s)
    22.3%
  2. Tara Lipinski

139 vote(s)
    77.7%
  1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Having seen them both skate their best live, what impresses me about Lipinski and Hughes is their shared confidence and attack. You could relax knowing they were going to skate well.

2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

How true is that. That is something lacking with the top US Ladies for about the last 5-6 years. Just looking at their faces you know they are going to meltdown. With Tara and Sarah you knew they might not win but they wouldn't crash and burn on the ice.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think Hughes had "more" choreography than Kwan by the time 2002 rolled around. However, I always found that Wagner's choreography was very derivative from other skaters. Like the re-choreographed parts of her Olympic LP seemed inspired from Kwan's surprise Scheherezade ending at 2002 Nationals.

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Tara Lipinski, by a mile.
    I can watch many Tara Lipinski performance, but I can't watch any Sarah Hughes performance.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: at the idiots in this thread. On what planet was Sarah Hughes "mediocre"? :huh: And if she was, then what does that make 98% of the ladies during that time?

6. VIETgrlTerifa

I think Hughes has the misfortune of getting the wrath of Kwan fans, Slutskaya fans, and Butyrskaya fans with a pinch of Sasha fans.

7. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I can say the same about Cohen. Even my non-skating fans remember her. Ask them about Hughes (which I did just to be sure) and they draw a blank. Guess it's a matter of who you talk to.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

I think you guys should count yourself lucky that anyone of a certain demographic remembers any figure skater in the real world.

9. Sasha'sSpins

I think your taking this too much to heart. It's just a poll and everyone has an opinion.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

Not sure how that follows my post, but ok...

11. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Tara!

I would agree that Sarah had a lot to offer but needed more time and probably better choreography. She also didnt seem to have the best body awareness which is odd because Robin Wagner boasts ballet background.

12. duane

duane New Member

Exactly.

I chose Tara, but agree with siouxdonym about the comments made about Sarah.

13. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I found Tara to be so juniorish in terms of style and packaging, but I think she really had all over Sarah. Sarah had more choreography than Tara, and it felt as though her programs were better planned out, but she had such poor posture, and awkward overall body movement. I also never found her to be terribly musical as a skater.

14. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Neither were particularly great but Lipinski did improve as a skater, while Hughes just stagnated. Her win at the Olympics was also more flukish than Lipinskis, who many have said, was at least expected to always be top 2 that season.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Tara, without question. I found her programs age and size appropriate and her musical choices as an eligible complimented her style.

Sarah, OTOH, was unwatchable, her choreography was pretentious, think Fosse, her layback notwithstanding, there was nothing about her skating that drew me in.

16. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I've never loved Sarah, but I've never hated her either.

Aside from Ave Maria, I actually liked all her short programs: Serenade fur Klara, Vocalise, Piano Concerto -- all lovely.

I didn't care for her long programs aside from Turandot (I actually associate her as much as Shizuka Arakawa) and her exhibitions always felt like they were bordering on 6 minutes.

Nice flow, nice spins, nice 2A, horrible 3Lz and 3F.

What impresses me both about Sarah and Tara was the tremendous improvement in their skating over the course of ~3 seasons. And, of course, their steely competitive nerves.

What bothered me the most was actually off-ice. I found Sarah's accent and general demeanor not particularly pleasing to hear or watch. But those are things she can't really change.

17. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That's putting it charitably. I always thought it was a blatant rip-off.

18. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Well, considering she only won one other event besides the Olympics, it would mean that everyone skated pretty below standards at the two events she won.

I realize she is the Olympic Champion and ho hum skaters don't make it to the Olympics (exept for possibly her sister and Rachel Flatt) but her 4th place in the short program was a joke. Her long program was the best of the night but the whole win was a fluke IMO.

Anyway I really liked Sarah's spins and I thought her spiral (aside from the little bend at her knee) was good.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

She won 3 seniors events, but yeah she was mediocre compared to the top skaters. Maybe she wasn't mediocre compared to the entire pool of eligible skaters but she couldn't hold a candle to the top echelon. I will never understand why the USFSA pimped her so hard. I guess they saw something many others did not.

20. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

What was the third? I can only think of Skate Canada 2001 and the Olympics.

21. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

1999 Karl Schaefer Memorial ("Vienna Cup"), IIRC.

22. fenway2

99 Vienna Cup.

23. NYScorp6

NYScorp6 Member

Not even close, Tara by a mile plus.
    Sarah had horrible posture.

24. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Sarah because she was a less annoying skater and a less annoying person in general.

Tara looked pretty darn awkward to me. She may not have been gangly but she was a midget. Not visually appealing. And the screaming/squealing - ugh. Sarah held herself with much more composure even though being only one year older.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  25. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Giggly vs gangly. I choose neither.

26. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Tara Lipisnki all the way.

I don't hate Sarah, but she was frustrating for me to watch because she would create something elegant and ten seconds later start some awkward pose jutting out her chin, or scratching at her neck trying to mime string vibrato...or was she fanning herself? No clue.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTErIOgs_-I#t=3m25s

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  27. fenway2

Her Fosse program was especially full of awkward poses and it lasted 18 hours. Actually I think she's still performing her SLC exhibition right now.

28. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I liked Tara. I didn't dislike Sarah, but I did dislike how she would take off in her jumps. It looked like to me that she was hiking or raising her leg very high before she jumped. If I remember correctly, I think she did improve on that problem later on.

29. duane

duane New Member

I'm actually quite impressed with her performance, more so considering she's only 15.

The performance reminds me that being in the 5'5" - 5'6" range, she is very tall for a skater. Michelle and Sasha are 5'2". Maria appeared tall on the ice, but (like Irina) is 5'3". I wonder if that's why Sarah appeared gangly to some.

30. Sasha'sSpins

Well, we can agree to disagree. Tara looked like a pixie to me because of her size but not awkward. And she certainly didn't look like a midget. I think that's kind of offensive for little people. Tara was tiny but proportioned. She was still physically a child. Sarah's posture on the ice, on the other hand, was always a problem for me. And as for the screaming/squealing, Sarah's scream when SHE won Olympic gold in 2002 equals Tara's at her Olympics in 1998. That one's a tie in my book. But hey, they were teenagers excited at winning the biggest competition of their lives. How could anyone blame them for choosing to express their excitement that way?

eta: Looks like Tara's running away with this poll.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013