Hughes or Lipinski? Whose skating do you like more?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jun 8, 2013.

Hughes or Lipinski?

1. Sarah Hughes

40 vote(s)
    22.3%
  2. Tara Lipinski

139 vote(s)
    77.7%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Which 15/16 year old American Olympic champion do you love the most?

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Lipinski because she had the verve in spades and more frequently

3. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Hughes looked very awkward to me, Lipinski had funky technique on her jumps but seemed to have better skating skills. Hughes spins were gorgeous, the best part of her skating and she had longer limbs but didn't know how to use them
    I'll pick Sarah Hughes Dorothy Hamill's haircut, too:)

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Lipinski by a lot. In spite of her flutz she had real star quality to me. Hughes on the other hand-no love lost there. I never cared for Sarah or her skating at all.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Sarah..

6. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Tara by a mile, she had much better posture and no eyesores in her skating. Sarah had a nice layback but her flutz and flip entries were cringeworthy.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Tara - notably superior skating skills and dynamism

8. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Lipinski

9. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Tara...and by a mile.

10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think Lipinski is perceived as better or more likable for several reasons. She was small and cute rather than tall with a big nose. Also she tried to be so different from Kwan. Lastly she had first rate Bezic choreography and packaging rather than a disastrous hack like Robin Wagner.

I blame Robin Wagner for most of Hughes' ugly programs. Sarah was better than she gets credit for, because she did not have a naturally advantageous body type like Cohen or Lipinski. She did well in spite of this. Next to Michelle Kwan, whose skating is a delicate and intricate masterpiece (even her 2002 Scheherazade is 100 levels beyond everyone but Sasha artistically), Hughes often looked like a three dollar imitation-- with awful jumping technique to boot. The choreographic choices and the bad jumps, of course, can be traced back to the delusional Wagner.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  11. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

I have to go with Tara. Her skating developed as a professional into something quite outstanding.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I did not care for Sarah's skating at all. I saw her as someone that could develop into something good in the future. That future never happened. She could not build a professional career after her OGM, and her year after that OGM was very disappointing.

Tara was exciting to watch, despite her small jumps, and she did develop artistically as a professional.

13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I couldn't stand Sarah's skating and I never thought she was, er, very attractive but I truly never noticed her having a big nose. Besides nose sizes have anything to do with popularity or skating quality. If big noses mattered to skating fans or judges, Michelle Kwan wouldn't be one of the most beloved skaters of all time.

Oh and I voted for Tara by a wide margin. I couldn't stand Sarah's skating. Her artisty was forced, her jumps stunk and her choreography was a greatest hits of other skater's programs. I even hated the exaggerated bows she took after every program. Plus she was rude to more than one person I know and her podium behavior at 2000 Skate America was ridiculous, especially since she had no business feeling robbed. Now having heard Jenny Kirk talk about Sarah and Robin Wagner staring down other skaters in locker rooms, I think my hunch that she was a snot might be true.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  14. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

Interestingly, it was the "Nose Factor" that caused Jimmy Durante to abandon his Olympic skating aspirations back in the 1920s, and opt for Vaudeville instead. That, and his "Schnozzolle" adversely affected his center of gravity in the more advanced skating maneuvers.

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

The only thing I liked about Sarah was her spins and spiral. Aside from that I found her skating to be very awkward looking...even when she got older there was a juniorish quality about the way she presented her programs that irked me. Her technique was not good (mule-kicky, often cheated jumps) and her artistry was rather weak IMO.

Tara was tiny and she had technique issues too but she had good skating skills and, most importantly, she had spark and fire when she skated. I think Tara's programs weren't all that wonderful from an artistry standpoint but they fit her style very well.

I definitely have a zillion times more respect for Tara and I prefer her skating over Sarah's.

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

what a sophie's choice

17. Sasha'sSpins

No it's not. Tara's winning this one by a landslide. :p

I didn't even consider Sarah's looks. I don't think she's any prettier or less attractive than Tara. I just didn't care for her skating and her personality was just..not there or something. Looks or lack there of certainly didn't get in the way of say Scott Hamilton's success. His personality, his smile and his story pretty much made him a star in his sport as well as winning Olympic gold. Alexei Urmanov , on the other hand, and who imo is far better looking than Hamilton never really became much of a star in spite of good looks. I'm sure there are other examples.

18. fenway2

If only Plushenko had followed his example.

19. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

You make a point with Scott Hamilton, and personality and skating showmanship go a long way. Hamilton also was around for a while and not just one Olympics. Urmanov basically was a one hit wonder like Sarah. That said, Sarah Hughes is well known with the public (she's arguably more famous than Sasha Cohen) and in her day made lots of money. I think Sarah's height and looks are what some fans are thinking of-- along with Wagner's stupid and bad choreography--when they call her skating awkward.

20. Sasha'sSpins

I remember after winning Olympic gold one reporter mentioned Sarah's 'coltish' look on the ice. I think it was a nice way of saying that she looked gangly or awkward. I guess she doesn't appeal to a lot of 'real' skating fans but the Olympic audience probably didn't care one way or the other. I don't see her as more famous than Cohen. I just don't see the press making the same fuss about her had she returned to the 2010 Nationals as much as they did for Sasha as the returning Olympic silver medalist. Jmo.

21. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

I choose death.

22. Vash01

Not really. Urmanov was around since the 1992 Olympics (as a 17 year old) and continued through worlds 1997 when an injury practically ended his career. Even though he competed after that, it was not the same. So he was around a long time, in a meaningful way. The reason we don't hear much about Urmanov is that the US media never embraced him. He was an elegant skater with perfect technique on jumps. He was also a good show skater, but again in N.America they preferred Stojko's (forward landed but consistent) jumps over Urmanov's elegance. Hamilton was so well known because he was American.

23. Vash01

That's mean. I hate it when people make fun of someone's looks. It's not something that one has control over. If you meant it to be a joke, I prefer healthier jokes.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Hughes had quite good choreography, even in 2003 when she was not in shape. Her Daphnis et Chloe program is class. I remember her programs being more interesting than Kwan's or Slutskaya's, and she had nice spirals and spins. Lipinski's eligible programs all run together for me.

Lipinski did get better as a pro, and was better than Hughes as a pro, of course, since Hughes hardly skated.

25. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

Tara was both the better and more enjoyable to watch skater. Sarah was just so average. She wasnt a great jumper and Tara was a great jumper also.

26. fenway2

Really? Most casual skating viewers I know remember Sarah and her win quite well. When I went to Stars on Ice last year, my coworker proudly informed me that she didn't watch skating much but saw Sarah Hughes headline the tour months after winning the Olympics. She was probably thinking of Champions on Ice but that's beside the point. I can't think of anyone who has brought up Sasha, maybe because she never had a truly memorable performance on the big, big, big stage. Her short program in 06 Torino was pretty good but her disaster in the long sadly overshadowed it for many people, even if it shouldn't have. And I think Sarah returning in 2010 would have been a disaster result BUT I think she would have received far more press for it than Sasha did. The media LOVES the Hughes girls, and with both of them "competing" for an Olympic spot? The coverage would have been over the top.

27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Of course! But I suspect skating judges and fans liked that he was a consistent competitor over five world championships and two Olympics, and he won five of those titles. Urmanov has but one world bronze from 1993, and then he was outside the world medals. He was well known during the late 90s skating boom as the handsome reigning Olympic champion in weird gloves, but he didn't have the recurrent wins over time that Hamilton or a Kwan had. He was not going to attain a Plushenko status. He was more like Hughes-- if Hughes had not gotten fat after she won and had to retire. I know Urmanov got 5th in Albertville, but that was such a bad men's competition.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I am surprised the media did not promote Emily Hughes even more than they did and play up her familial celebrity. Perhaps by 2006 budgets for fluff piece airtime had dried up. They had to show extra commercials for Smart One's Pizza and RepHresh feminine freshness kits instead of cozy Hughes family moments.

29. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Wow... So much Hughes family hate around here...

30. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Seconded.