How would this have scored in Oly Mens LP?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Jun 17, 2010.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Since we're specualting these days...

Remember last fall when there were threads about who would win 2010 Oly gold--Oda or Plushenko??

Would this Oda program have won the LP at this year's Olympics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKZBMPBcndI&feature=related

Since he's my favorite skater, I'm biased, but to me, the jumps are just so much more beautiful than anyone else's, and this program had so much spirit and joy. Good flow across the ice, great spins and footwork, too.

I was so sad at the Olympics. He looked like a scared deer, and the shoelace problem... :fragile:

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

He probably would have placed as high as 4th with all the GOEs. However, based on the scoring in the sp and reputation etc, I think he would not have been made onto the podium unless he attempted the quad and actually landed it too.

Politically if it was down to the JPN Fed to politik for them, I am sure their full force at the time was with Takahashi.

3. skateboy

I guess I should have asked, "Do you think this program is as good or better than Lysacek and Plushenko's Oly LPs?"

Personally, I think it's better than both.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Why would Oda have landed on the podium if he landed a quad? The Gold and Bronze medalists had no quads. This program could have absolutley been in medal contention at the Olympics. It was a brilliant performance and with with the Olympic point inflation it could have won Gold. I have no doubt about that!

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

He wouldnt get the PCS needed and he was already behind after the short. I would say maybe catching Takahashi for the bronze at a stretch, but even that I doubt.

6. judgejudy27

I agree with you there.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Better than Plushenko absolutely. But then I wouldn't have Plushenko in the top 5 anyway. :lol:

Lysacek did have a lot more conviction and complexity to his program at the Olympics that Oda did not have here. Some call it character-building but I find the minute-long step sequence where he stops all the time posing to be way too much.

Just in terms of lp judging, I think I will have this behind Takahashi whom I have first in the lp, but ahead of Lysacek with the cheated 3axels. [But Oda's sp sucked so bad I would have been torn as to giving him the silver overall above Lysacek whose style I loathe.]

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

9. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I think that although Oda´s freeskate from TEB seems to be faultless, his performance looks immature and naive, in my opinion. It is always dangerous to try to personate e.g. an actor playing a role. This performance and interpretation cannot be compared to Takahashi´s brilliant freeskate programme and performance at the Olympics (even including a fall in quad). Oda´s programme is though better than that of Plushenko, but which freeskate programme isn´t, LOL?

I hope that Oda has good programmes next season.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  10. senorita

senorita New Member

I saw Oda live at TEB and it is a better program by miles, judging against Plushenko's Lp this has actual choreo and a theme and judging against Lysacek it is not generic nor fake. You can totally see who is Oda through this, i loved it.

11. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I just can't get enough of those knees!

:swoon:

I definately agree.

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I agree. That's my thought.
    I think he wouldn't have been higher than 5th overall.

13. skateboy

I think Oda is the greatest current mens skater never to medal at Worlds or Olys.

Really hope things get better for him in that regard!

14. skateboy

Agreed!!

15. judgejudy27

He probably is but the list is building up. Verner and Abbott as well deserve mention. Kozuka could be even included perhaps. And the sad thing is I am not sure if any of those will ever win one other than quite possibly Kozuka.

Oda had better make his move soon or I see things getting tougher for him. Takahashi is clearly entrenched as the Japanese #1 right now. And Kozuka is threatening Oda for the #2 spot, and there are some talented juniors coming up close behind both. The last thing you want to do is become the Japanese #3 or #4 and become Yukari Nakano.

16. skateboy

So true. Ever since I've become Yukari, life has never been the same... ;)

Seriously, I agree with you. Oda is so good, but he needs to make his mark now or I fear he never will.

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The thing with Oda is that he just isn't a very confident boy - no matter how many GPs he has won. I can't remember how many times he said he knew he wasn't very good and was willing to settle for not being at the top etc. It breaks my heart to see him open the Olympic season so well only to crumble at the Olympics and Worlds (well the Olympic fiasco was part bad luck too).

He does everything so well but he just doesn't have that hunger/ killer instinct to reach the very top at the big comps. He has the quad combo nailed even on competition warm up ice but he just wouldn't try it at the Olympics. I mean, what did he have to lose?!

So unless he gets very hungry I doubt he will ever medal at Worlds.

Incidentally he would have gotten bronze at 2006 Worlds over Lysacek if he did one less 2toe in the lp. But seeing these past 2 seasons I don't think his COP ignorance/ inability to think on his feet is going to be a problem anymore.

Like Asada, I definitely think he already has what it takes to win all the major titles in the sport but need a good choreographer and 'friend' ala Tcherkasskaia was to Nikodinov circa 2001.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  18. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Without question, yes, if the judging was done fair and right, he would have won Olympic gold easily. The same with Jeremy Abbott's US Nationals SP and LP too!

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Oda always seems to peak too early, every season, and by the time Worlds/Olympics rolls around the tank is empty, he has nothing more to give. He'd do well to pace himself to peak later in the season.
    Maybe winning the GPs is a bit of a curse for him - he feels pressure to duplicate the early season successes and just can't. quite. do. it.

I remember that - such a shame :wall:

20. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Oda's LP was far better than Plushenkos and Lycaceks by miles, but he was unable to deliver the sparkle he had in the GP series. I think he would have won had he delivered those programs.

Evan won because he delivered the 2 most consistent programs, had Plushenko not weebled and wobled on his LP we would all be sing'in and different tune!

21. judgejudy27

Or what if everyone had skated their best. I would say if everyone in Vancouver had skated to their optimum the results probably would have been:

Gold- Takahashi
    Silver- Lambiel
    Bronze- Plushenko
    4th- Lysacek
    5th- Chan

Though really the results in that case should have been:

Gold- Takahashi
    Silver- Abbott
    Bronze- Lambiel or Oda (no 3ax or x-3 combo for Lambiel, no 4t for Oda)

I dont see Abbott or Oda getting the scores from the judges no matter how well they skated, though if everyone else remained the same one might have gotten the bronze if they skated lights out but that is definitely the max. I just dont think they were seen as frontrunners of the event, and their federations were pushing for Evan and Tak.

22. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Not saying I agree or disagree about Oda but I would say this described Daisuke perfectly prior to his injury. Takahashi had everything, except the ability to come through in the biggest competitions. Perhaps the difficult fight to get back in the game made the difference there, or maybe just maturity. So if you feel this way, don't give up on Oda - he may yet find his way too.