How will the Zhangs fare in their return

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Aug 11, 2011.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Now that we see the Zhangs are on the Grand Prix next year how do you think they will fare in their return.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think to some extent, it may be out of their hands. If the Chinese Fed. promotes P/T as the #1 team and starts to really market Sui / Han, then they may be the odd man out.

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

P/T are a moot point at least for the Grand Prix, they aren't competing. So if it's between a 'healthy' Z/Z and S/H...my money is on the Zhangs, at least for this season. S/H haven't come close to getting the points the Zhangs have received at the end of 2010 before he was hurt. S/H got many changes to compete because people dropped out and now it looks like they have another thanks to P/T. I hope he Zhang is healthy, I'm skeptical, they seem excited to get back into it.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I think both Caroline and Kexin will be buried in their respective events. Seventh or eighth overall, maybe.

:p

5. judgejudy27

Pang & Tong are on the Grand Prix assignments list though.

6. julieann

It was said in this interview under the GSD.

I'm sure the ISU will take a while to update.

7. judgejudy27

Well if Pang & Tong do pull out then the Zhangs should finish atleast 2nd in both their assignments. They will probably lose to the Germans at Skate America but should beat everyone else. Then in China they could even upset Kavaguti & Smirnov and win possibly. Either way they should now make the final.

8. julieann

They should make it to the final, I guess it depends on how well the other teams have done this summer.

I'm not so sure they will get ahead of K/S so easily They haven't beat them since Worlds 09 and they narrowly beat them to get the silver. Z/Z personal best score is 197.82 and K/S seasons best last year was 203.61 and they had a pretty crap season. The Zhangs will really need to be close to the best they have ever been and with a season off I think they may have to work their way up. I just am hoping they all stay healthy, with not many drops this season.

9. judgejudy27

Well hopefully they can atleast be pushing Kavaguti & Smirnov by the time of the Grand Prix final since they will be need to be able to challenge/beat them to even battle for the bronze at Worlds. After all the Germans and Volosozhar & Trankov are WAY ahead of K&S at this point, probably Pang & Tong if they return in decent shape too.

I would love to see the Zhangs win a World title before they retire, which will probably be after 2014 season.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think the Zhangs may win another world medal, but it's doubtful that they'll get a world title. I can't see them beating ALL of Savchenko and Szolkowy, Volosozhar and Trankov, and Pang and Tong at once. As for their position in relation to K/S, it's hard to say because K/S's position in skating rankings is a bit unstable, I think, now that they're not necessarily the Russian #1.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was thinking of the Zhangs long-term, not necessarily for just the GP this season

12. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I hope the Zhangs kick butt this season! :respec:

They haven't won any World titles yet. :)

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Oops, I knew that. I don't know why I said that.

14. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I hope they do great.

It will be interesting to see if the time off has done them any favors. Thry may come back a very different team.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think they'll do very well. The final is most likely in their future.

16. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

According to PJ, their artistry has improved significantly, so that should help them considering that they have the big tricks that P and T don't. However, P and T have better artistry and better lines.
    I wish Z and Z all the best though.

17. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Unless their artistry becomes as strong as their technical content, there's no way they'll reach the top. A medal, maybe, but not the top. In the 2010 season they were sent a strong message that their artistry hasn't improved enough. Although it was an improvement from 2006, it wasn't particularly significant (ala S/Z from 2001-2003). For as long as I remember every pair that has reached the top spot was strong both technically and artistically, and there's no reason why the judges will want that changed.