How was your 2012?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Dec 31, 2012.

1. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Turned 50 in 2012, which was a milestone I was really looking forward to, as the last 3 years in particular have been quite tempestuous, and I was bound and determined to use this new decade as a turning point. For the most part, things are much more settled in my life now than they have ever been, although I am very behind on my to do/accomplish list. Due to some personal counseling, I finally have a wee bit of self confidence, and am feeling quite positive that I can continue to grow and maybe even learn to love myself. This year is going to be great.

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Not the best, but not the worst either. 2012 - you were so very average. :p

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

BIPOLAR.

4. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Started 2012 in Hurghada, Egypt with my mama, and one of the first things we did in the new year was to go snorkelling in the Red Sea. Which was awesome. :) The spring semester in school was very stressful, for various reasons, and I'm not happy with the film I made then. But at least I got to dress the hottest dude in school in drag, so that's something. :p

I spent the summer working my arse off, quite literally. You know those tax free trolleys with booze, candy, crisps and sodas they have on aeroplanes? My job was to count everything in the trolleys when they got back from flights, check the sell-by dates, and then refill the trolley, seal it, and send it out for its next flight. 06:00 to 16:00, quite often with overtime, since the place was understaffed, standing up all day counting and sorting and lifting heavy stuff. And when I had a day off I was mostly too spent to do anything, so then I just stayed in the couch watching tv all day. And that was my summer. At least I could pay off a whole bunch of debts after that.

The autumn semester in school was a LOT better than the spring. The major reason for the constant stress of the spring went away, and, unrelated to that, my class really came together as a lean, mean, filmmaking machine. We still have our issues, but we can talk about them, unlike the class that went before us, and the new first-years. :p And then we went to Malta to get scuba diving certificates, which was awesome. :rollin: The waters around Malta aren't anywhere near as spectacular as the reefs of the Red Sea, but it was still amazing. :D We also did some filming in Malta, including one scene for my fall project, a film I'm quite pleased with.

The year was finished in the name of the Hobbit. I was massively excited about that film back in 2011, but I couldn't sustain the enthusiasm, and when I heard it'd been stretched into three films I thought it'd be the slowest dragging films of all time. Then I saw this pic, and BAM! excitement rekindled. :grope: I went to the midnight premiere dressed as a hobbit, and I'm SO glad I did! The film blew me away completely, it was just three hours of pure adventure, and I haven't been able to think of much else since. And having a head full of sexy, smouldering dwarves is quite a fine way to end the year, in my opinion. :D

5. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

For me, 2012 was a year of major life changes. Minus having a kid, I experienced many other big changes.

I started a new job in February, leaving my previous toxic job. I got engaged in the spring and married in the fall. I bought a house at the end of the summer. I also adopted another dog. I also, finally, started skating lessons. Lots of other little things in between.

Overall, 2012 was a good year. But, for me, a little too much change. I'm just hoping for an uneventful 2013.